Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modified Panamera Turbo vs Turbo S ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 02:19 PM
URnext is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
NelsonF is right - Porsche replaced the titanium alloy turbine wheels with the standard turbine wheels from the CTT/PTT turbos. It is expressly written in a letter PNA sent to the US NHTSA.
Wow. Great info. Can't believe P would do this. Sorry to ask a dumb question but you wouldn't happened to have a link you can post or know where to still find this info would you?

Off topic, congrats on your 700+HP CTT. I am very interested in getting PTT in that range. Would you mind sharing your mods?

Old 08-21-2013, 12:23 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
NelsonF is right - Porsche replaced the titanium alloy turbine wheels with the standard turbine wheels from the CTT/PTT turbos. It is expressly written in a letter PNA sent to the US NHTSA.
Can someone please post This letter. Part numbers Are different.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:33 AM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
I cant believe this. This is fraud!!!
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...2V329-5601.pdf

Old 08-21-2013, 04:25 PM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kip

Again, Porsche is using the same strategy with 991Turbo and 991TS, Panamera Turbo and PTS and Cayenne Turbo and CTS, ie same hardware on each with only ecu program change + "S" script. All other specs can be ordered on the base Turbo to match TS. That said, the TS package seems to be a value if you are ordering a fully spec'd 991 Turbo vs TS. However, I'm learning that the 991TS should not be modified much beyond current power levels due to power handling limitations of PDK. The regular 991Turbo can be modded to TS levels but not much beyond for the same reasons. Not sure what the next gen Panamera in 2016 may bring in terms of h/w specs, but the new facelift version will be the same as current cars. Current model Panamera Turbo's are excellent with a few not over the top mods as previously mentioned in this thread.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:25 PM
blacksheep337 is on a distinguished road
I talked to a P mechanic today. He thinks the intake plenum may be bigger on the S. I also think the power kit might still be available for the panamera. I might be cool to see what is included with that.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 AM
cvprez will become famous soon enough
Basically goes back to what I've said repeatedly - not worth the extra money. I got duped into thinking the turbo S had quicker spool times and less turbo lag because of titanium impellers and reality is they are no different so I overpaid by $20,000 - Yeah for me! Thanks Porsche!

Old 08-22-2013, 09:20 AM
MIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enoughMIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enough
Sucker (S got it?)

I would say that the S besides being a more distinct kind of animal, HAS to HAVE better software mapping to account for the extra 50 horses, yes you can do it with a 3K tune and save the other $17 jelly beans BUT imagine the S with a tune, there are already 50 horses to start with.

If I had the money AND I wouldn't miss it, I would still get the S just for having a better/faster car.

But yeah I would miss the extra loot, so I settled for the non S.

Enjoy it as it's a great car with great features!

Old 08-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kip
I was just about to post this link for you, but you beat me to it!

Old 08-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MIA997TTBeast
BUT imagine the S with a tune, there are already 50 horses to start with.
If the difference is only in DME programming (mainly bumped boost levels), then an aftermarket Turbo tune would be easily able to match and exceed stock Turbo S DME programming.

I have to admit, after doing some research on the PTT vs PTTS, I am not seeing the value either.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by URnext
Off topic, congrats on your 700+HP CTT. I am very interested in getting PTT in that range. Would you mind sharing your mods?
Thanks! Believe it or not, I really only have bolt-ons that I did myself in my shop. Included the 82mm CTTS TB/manifold combination. Most of my mods are well documented over in Cayenne section. Here are a few main links:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lots-pics.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rkit-pics.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...80p-graph.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...nne-turbo.html

Old 08-22-2013, 06:46 PM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
Sucker (S got it?)

I would say that the S besides being a more distinct kind of animal, HAS to HAVE better software mapping to account for the extra 50 horses, yes you can do it with a 3K tune and save the other $17 jelly beans BUT imagine the S with a tune, there are already 50 horses to start with.

If I had the money AND I wouldn't miss it, I would still get the S just for having a better/faster car.

But yeah I would miss the extra loot, so I settled for the non S.

Enjoy it as it's a great car with great features!
Was talking to a few tuners on this subject a while back while selecting on the Turbo or Turbo S, one thing they said were; even though Turbo S is a high output software mapping, it is still limit/govern by the strict law of US to get approved to sell here (ex. smog). But aftermarket tune opens up and optimize the engine potential without having to deal with governing laws and restrictions (ex. GIAC).
I can tell you from 11 pulls with my tuned Turbo vs. my colleague’s stock Turbo S at our back road that the tune Turbo was ahead 11 times. Though I don't know anything about tune for the Turbo S, but if the engine and now the turbo is the same, any software mapping OEM or aftermarket would be extracting from the same engine setup, so what would be the advantage of the Turbo S?

Last edited by kw911TT; 08-22-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:18 PM
MIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enoughMIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by kw911TT
Was talking to a few tuners on this subject a while back while selecting on the Turbo or Turbo S, one thing they said were; even though Turbo S is a high output software mapping, it is still limit/govern by the strict law of US to get approved to sell here (ex. smog). But aftermarket tune opens up and optimize the engine potential without having to deal with governing laws and restrictions (ex. GIAC).
I can tell you from 11 pulls with my tuned Turbo vs. my colleague’s stock Turbo S at our back road that the tune Turbo was ahead 11 times. Though I don't know anything about tune for the Turbo S, but if the engine and now the turbo is the same, any software mapping OEM or aftermarket would be extracting from the same engine setup, so what would be the advantage of the Turbo S?
Lets think for a minute, I would say that at least 50% maybe a lot more of these drivers will not touch the performance side of it, as they will be happy with 500 ponnies, so they will get the more HP they can get, hence the S.

Now knowing this, and knowing that a tune will give me at least 80HP, then the S wouldn't mean much unless you will always want to have the more exclusive car, then those will be the buyers.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:51 PM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
Lets think for a minute, I would say that at least 50% maybe a lot more of these drivers will not touch the performance side of it, as they will be happy with 500 ponnies, so they will get the more HP they can get, hence the S.

Now knowing this, and knowing that a tune will give me at least 80HP, then the S wouldn't mean much unless you will always want to have the more exclusive car, then those will be the buyers.
Good point. I agree with you

Old 08-26-2013, 07:47 PM
blacksheep337 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC
Because the Turbo S models are power kit cars, you get a similar gain from our software compared to what we make on the Turbo. If others are making only 25hp, there are likely torque limiters that they're unable to find. Having driven both, the modded Turbo S models are definitely more potent.
Im interested in the GIAC tune for a turbo s. What kind of performance or power gains can I expect with the tune?

Old 08-26-2013, 07:58 PM
URnext is on a distinguished road
Thanks! Believe it or not, I really only have bolt-ons that I did myself in my shop. Included the 82mm CTTS TB/manifold combination. Most of my mods are well documented over in Cayenne section. Here are a few main links:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lots-pics.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rkit-pics.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...80p-graph.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...nne-turbo.html
Great work! Kudos to you for pushing the limits especially with the limited parts/resources available out there for this platform. You earned that power!

I am in the market for a custom tune, so I have to ask. How happy are you with you with your custom tune?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modified Panamera Turbo vs Turbo S ???