Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modified Panamera Turbo vs Turbo S ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 AM
cvprez will become famous soon enough
Modified Panamera Turbo vs Turbo S ???

Wondering if anyone has any experience driving a tuned panamera turbo and a stock panamera turbo s. I've got the FVD ecu flash on my turbo so supposedly it's got around 590hp - wondering if I would notice a difference with the turbo s. I'm considering getting a new car and although I'd love the turbo s - the price delta just doesn't seem worth it to me. I could buy a turbo, spend $3000 and end up with a car that's got more power for $40,000 less. I guess I'm wondering if the revised turbo's and everything else make a noticeable difference.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:30 AM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cvprez
Wondering if anyone has any experience driving a tuned panamera turbo and a stock panamera turbo s. I've got the FVD ecu flash on my turbo so supposedly it's got around 590hp - wondering if I would notice a difference with the turbo s. I'm considering getting a new car and although I'd love the turbo s - the price delta just doesn't seem worth it to me. I could buy a turbo, spend $3000 and end up with a car that's got more power for $40,000 less. I guess I'm wondering if the revised turbo's and everything else make a noticeable difference.
+1, I had the same consideration and got a great deal on a Panamera Turbo. I'll be adding a GIAC tune plus intake and exhaust mods for significantly less $ and with more power than a Turbo S and mods are not over the top, provide approx 600hp and easily changed back to stock. These cars are already very fast stock-especially for U.S. driving so the mod is just icing. Semi-sleeper mode works better overall if you don't need to have the S badge.

Last edited by NelsonF; 07-31-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:53 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
The Ti-Al turbos spool up almost instantly making the car feel close to a N/A engine, the added power is not the only change, so yes I think you will still notice a difference between modded turbo and turbo s. I think the difference actually increases with mods higher turbo pressure means more turbo lag? Actually you can buy all the stuff that is in the turbo s to the turbo, also the turbines in the form of a powerkit, as I did.

There is a recall on the turbos and they all will be changed so will post if this makes a change in the car.

MOdded Panamera turbos in tests have not performed substantially better than a non modded turbo and not even close to a PTTS:

Even bigger difference 0-300:

Speedart Porsche Panamera Turbo

Beschleunigung:
0-100 km/h: 4,0 s
0-200 km/h: 13,2 s
0-300 km/h: 52,8 s

http://www.sportauto.de/news/speedar...d=605482127001

Panamera Turbo S
0-300 km/h: 40,8 s

Last edited by kip; 07-31-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:01 PM
NelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to beholdNelsonF is a splendid one to behold
Panamera Turbo mods

GIAC claims to have optimized their programming to significantly reduce any lag issues so I'll be giving them a trial. Along with better breathing on the intake and exhaust side, I'm hoping for a marked improvement. Frankly, the V8 turbo with PDK is not that bad in the lag dept. compared with my previous 996/997turbos so I'm looking forward to the results. This modified Panamera Turbo seems to have nice results with just an ecu tune.

Last edited by NelsonF; 08-07-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:26 PM
URnext is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kip
The Ti-Al turbos spool up almost instantly making the car feel close to a N/A engine, the added power is not the only change, so yes I think you will still notice a difference between modded turbo and turbo s. I think the difference actually increases with mods higher turbo pressure means more turbo lag? Actually you can buy all the stuff that is in the turbo s to the turbo, also the turbines in the form of a powerkit, as I did.

There is a recall on the turbos and they all will be changed so will post if this makes a change in the car.

MOdded Panamera turbos in tests have not performed substantially better than a non modded turbo and not even close to a PTTS:
I am currently in the market for used 12'PTT/PTTS. Now that the recall last year has replaced the titan impellers with Inconel alloys on the PTTS is there any real advantage to getting the PTTS over PTT (performance wise)?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-08-2013, 10:38 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by URnext
I am currently in the market for used 12'PTT/PTTS. Now that the recall last year has replaced the titan impellers with Inconel alloys on the PTTS is there any real advantage to getting the PTTS over PTT (performance wise)?

I Think There Are two main things which you value or don't and that should be enough to make your mind. PTT is cheaper, if you change your mind later and it isn't adequate, you can install the turbo s powerkit later, but that is expensive. Autobild compared the two cars. No real difference in 0-100, but 0-200 was like 2 seconds, also small advantage on track. The PTTS is also very quick in a kickdown situation to react and in a straight line keeps up with new rs7, m5, cls 63, but the PTT won't. You have to decide if these are enough reasons for you to pay the extra price, for me it was. Oh yes, and your original question, It doesn't feel slower after the recall, I would say the opposite.

Last edited by kip; 08-08-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:44 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
well I think so also and agree with kip.

I went S and then modded that, so......

but unless you are really looking for the top 3-5% of performance the cost delta is not even close to worth it. common sense would dictate get the turbo and mod as needed.

Attached Images  

Last edited by tom kerr; 08-09-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:19 AM
kip

I read your post again and am a little surprised. I know they changed the ti-al turbos and read somwhere that they were Inconel, but have you some information, they would not be different from the base turbo Inconel ones? That would be cheating I think...

Old 08-09-2013, 07:21 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nelsonf
+1, i had the same consideration and got a great deal on a panamera turbo. I'll be adding a giac tune plus intake and exhaust mods for significantly less $ and with more power than a turbo s and mods are not over the top, provide approx 600hp and easily changed back to stock. These cars are already very fast stock-especially for u.s. Driving so the mod is just icing. Semi-sleeper mode works better overall if you don't need to have the s badge.
+1

Old 08-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by kip
I read your post again and am a little surprised. I know they changed the ti-al turbos and read somwhere that they were Inconel, but have you some information, they would not be different from the base turbo Inconel ones? That would be cheating I think...
My understanding is that Porsche replaced the problematic ti-al turbos originally spec'd on the PTTS and with the existing turbos from the standard PTT. The only diff is now ecu programming in terms engine specs. Again, this is easily surpassed by a good aftermarket program. Everything else on the Turbo S aside from S badges can be ordered on the standard Turbo. BTW, it appears that Porsche is using the same strategy ie. only reprogrammed ECU on Cayenne T and TS and upcoming 991 T and TS with the same turbos used on either variant. Porsche's marketing machine at it's finest.

Last edited by NelsonF; 08-09-2013 at 11:11 AM. Reason: add
Old 08-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NelsonF
GIAC claims to have optimized their programming to significantly reduce any lag issues so I'll be giving them a trial. Along with better breathing on the intake and exhaust side, I'm hoping for a marked improvement. Frankly, the V8 turbo with PDK is not that bad in the lag dept. compared with my previous 996/997turbos so I'm looking forward to the results. This modified Panamera Turbo seems to have nice results with just an ecu tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0cUsQryyzM
We offer 30 day money back on all of our software so you have the luxury of testing it out. Yes, the turbos are much more responsive with our software. The change is quite dramatic in terms of the seat of the pants feeling. I am more than confident that you will notice the changes we make. The PTTs are one of my favorite cars to test pre and post flash because they hit so hard with a software upgrade. The torque is absolutely fantastic.

Just throwing it out there, we support the Turbo S models with software as well!

I've been looking to test one of these with a v-box. I will post the results when I am able to do so.

Last edited by Andrew@GIAC; 08-09-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by kip
I Think There Are two main things which you value or don't and that should be enough to make your mind. PTT is cheaper, if you change your mind later and it isn't adequate, you can install the turbo s powerkit later, but that is expensive. Autobild compared the two cars. No real difference in 0-100, but 0-200 was like 2 seconds, also small advantage on track. The PTTS is also very quick in a kickdown situation to react and in a straight line keeps up with new rs7, m5, cls 63, but the PTT won't. You have to decide if these are enough reasons for you to pay the extra price, for me it was. Oh yes, and your original question, It doesn't feel slower after the recall, I would say the opposite.
Thanks for the reply. I should have been more descriptive in my post. My main question is if the only difference between the PTT & PTTS, post recall, is a factory ecu tune to squeeze out more power? Being that Inconel turbo impellers are heavier than the ti-al.

My second part to my question, or at least I should have posted it, is if the newly recall replaced turbo impellers on the PTTS are the same as the ones in the already in the PTT or are they different?

Originally Posted by kip
Not sure. That is the info I am looking for too.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by tom kerr
well I think so also and agree with kip.

I went S and then modded that, so......

but unless you are really looking for the top 3-5% of performance the cost delta is not even close to worth it. common sense would dictate get the turbo and mod as needed.

Thanks for the input! Yes, I am looking for the top 3-5% performance. I failed to mention that I will be modding my P with pretty much all performance part available, which is pretty limited from my initial search. You see, I am mod-aholic lol. I did the same to my SL55 and kept on modding it even after it dyno 600 to the wheel. Every additional hp I was adding cost more than the last. Dollar for dollar the diminishing return gets worst the more hp you try to get. So yes, that cost delta will still be worth it to me if there is a difference between the two.

Originally Posted by NelsonF
My understanding is that Porsche replaced the problematic ti-al turbos originally spec'd on the PTTS and with the existing turbos from the standard PTT. The only diff is now ecu programming in terms engine specs. Again, this is easily surpassed by a good aftermarket program. Everything else on the Turbo S aside from S badges can be ordered on the standard Turbo. BTW, it appears that Porsche is using the same strategy ie. only reprogrammed ECU on Cayenne T and TS and upcoming 991 T and TS with the same turbos used on either variant. Porsche's marketing machine at it's finest.

WOW. If this is true then I have my answer. Thanks for reply

Old 08-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC
We offer 30 day money back on all of our software so you have the luxury of testing it out. Yes, the turbos are much more responsive with our software. The change is quite dramatic in terms of the seat of the pants feeling. I am more than confident that you will notice the changes we make. The PTTs are one of my favorite cars to test pre and post flash because they hit so hard with a software upgrade. The torque is absolutely fantastic.

Just throwing it out there, we support the Turbo S models with software as well!

I've been looking to test one of these with a v-box. I will post the results when I am able to do so.
Do you offer custom dyno tune? Do you know if there is any aftermarket/larger throttle bodies for the Panamera turbo/turbo S?

Old 08-09-2013, 05:49 PM
kip
Thanks for the input! Yes, I am looking for the top 3-5% performance. I failed to mention that I will be modding my P with pretty much all performance part available, which is pretty limited from my initial search. You see, I am mod-aholic lol. I did the same to my SL55 and kept on modding it even after it dyno 600 to the wheel. Every additional hp I was adding cost more than the last. Dollar for dollar the diminishing return gets worst the more hp you try to get. So yes, that cost delta will still be worth it to me if there is a difference between the two.

WOW. If this is true then I have my answer. Thanks for reply
I don't know about You guys, but if the turbos Are the same as ptt I am shocked. I have found no written statement about This. Anyone can verify? A powerkit costs 20-30000 euroa and They promised faster reacting turbos and ecu upgrade, I don't Think anyone Would pay that for an ecu upgrade only...Can anyone verify This from their dealer? I sure am Going To ask mine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Modified Panamera Turbo vs Turbo S ???