Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tough Decision: Panamera GTS or Turbo

Old 10-23-2012, 02:44 PM
gaitherb is on a distinguished road
Tough Decision: Panamera GTS or Turbo

First, let me say that this board is invaluable when researching new cars. I'm currently getting out of my M3 E46 after 10 years of driving it...only 39k miles on it as it wasn't my daily driver. I'm in the market for a high-end sedan.

My family is growing and I need a car with four doors. I considered the new M5, but with all of the issues concerning the oil pump and the "boring" aesthetics of the car, I have decided on a Panamera.

My tough decision is between the GTS and the Turbo. I've test driven both cars and I'm throughly impressed with both. The GTS throttle response was absolutely amazing and my 4-year old daughter loved the exhaust note; I'm raising a little car nut. The turbo was a different (mild) feeling, but a very good feeling; I find the Turbo slightly more refined than the GTS.

My dilemma is that Porsche is discounting the Turbos considerably, but not the GTS. In fact, I have the option of a 2012 black on black Turbo that was previously owned with only 2,700 miles on it. MSRP on the car was 155k, it's now listing for 133k, and the dealer has indicated there's even more room to move on this car -- 5-6k total price approximately 127k.

The GTS is a different story, they are willing to move 4% off MSRP -- I suspect they will may move slightly more, but that's where we are right now in the negotiations.

I plan to lease the car because I don't plan to keep it more than three years. I'd like to get into a 911 Turbo in about three years after my little one turns 7 or 8 and is able to sit in the front seat.

So my tough dilemma is, lease rates on a Turbo are pretty good right now, the money factor is around 1.5 or 1.6. Lease rates on the GTS are modest. Basically, the difference in monthly payments for the two cars is about 75.00-100.00 -- the GTS is 75.00 to 100.00 cheaper.

I know I haven't given you all the financials, because frankly, I don't have all of the number, just "outlined" scenarios for the two cars. Based on what little you know. Which is the better deal?

Old 10-23-2012, 04:01 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
These are different beasts, you shouldnt have a problem chosing, do you want power in any gear and the turbo boost, or instant throttle response? Do you want a hard ride all the time, or only when you push the sport+ button? Are sounds really a reason to chose a car? I believe people got something like 6% of the gts also. Do a search, this subject hasbeen debated over and over and over again. You wont go really wrong with either.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:14 PM
m3smg is on a distinguished road
I am kinda of in the same boat (I recently started a thread). I like the power of the TT (the one I am looking at is a used one). The GTS is "too slow" for my taste even though it feels probably better than the TT.
Have you considered a CLS63?
After driving both cars, I felt the CLS63 to be more livable on a daily basis and giving me more sensory feedback. It has the same power as a TT but is even cheaper than GTS.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:08 PM
nova996 is on a distinguished road
I chose the GTS and I'm quite happy after 800 miles. It is a very special car, much more than the numbers suggest and just gets better with every drive. Of all the cars I've owned, it is one of the few I really love. Sometimes a car just feels right in a way that you can't show on a Spec sheet.

The turbo is a better value, of course. I was tempted by the big discounts also. In my case, the discount wasn't worth it.

We looked at the CLS also. The back seat is not as spacious or ccomfortable. And I prefer the feel of the panamera. Giving up power is unfortunate, but the car more than makes up for that in enjoyment and back seat comfort.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:30 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nova996
...Giving up power is unfortunate...
This is the part that would forever haunt me.

Turbo.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:36 PM
nova996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
This is the part that would forever haunt me.

Turbo.
Yes, that comes down to what you value in your car. If max straight ahead power is extremely important to you, then definitely I would recommend the turbo. Pricing is different around the world, but in the US if you are comparing comparably equipped vehicles then the difference in price for a Turbo is just a small additional percentage (with the discounts that we see here.) If you can afford a $140k car, you can probably afford a $150k, just as someone in the market for a $20k car can probably look at a car for $22k if it has something he really wants. The turbo is 100hp more and still is a great handling car.

So, yep, if power is your thing, then the turbo is it. Or the CLS63, really, if the big issue is power. Mercedes has that, too.

Last edited by nova996; 10-23-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Dallas991 is on a distinguished road
I was in the same boat. Came from E93 M3. Ordered 991 but cancelled with two little kids. Then ordered M5. But was bored with styling. Cancelled. Decided Panamera was perfect compromise. Got my 911 and my sedan! I was about to order a GTS but bought a 2013 Turbo because it was available now, I loved the color scheme (basalt black + cognac) and got a good discount. I do miss the sound and naturally aspirated engine of my M3. But I was nervous the HP of the GTS given its weight might feel slower than my M3. I didn't get to test drive one because they are hard to come by in Dallas. I do love my Turbo. Especially passing in the highway. And I might add an aftermarket exhaust to boost the sound.

Maybe the next one will be a GTS (I too leased but might keep). Good luck! But definitely no regrets giving up M3 and passing on M5. I too can't wait to add a 991 in some time...

Old 10-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
I would do the Turbo without a doubt.

The civility of the turbo is quite awesome. I can only describe the GTS as being "ON" all the time to everything around you and that can become quite tiresome.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 PM
tonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of lighttonyep is a glorious beacon of light
I was in the same spot as you few months ago, deciding between the GTS and CLS63PP. The CLS63 definitely has power but comfort-wise, it's lacking. I ended up with the Turbo, fully optioned as I wanted both handling and power and comfort as I am daily driving mine.

I did get a 10% off MSRP for a 2012 Turbo S but I ended with a 2013 Turbo with 7% off MSRP, could've gotten more.

Last edited by tonyep; 10-24-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:41 PM
keith27 will become famous soon enough
First off they're both awesome, so you wont go wrong either way. As others have stated, it's been debated over and over and over and it really comes down to personal preference. Some things I would consider (not necessarily in any order):

- Ride height. The GTS sits 10 MM lower in Comfort mode.
- Exhaust note. Many here claim the Turbo is too quiet/tame but it depends on your preferences. Consider Sport Exhaust on vs off and what you want to hear and how often.
- Sport Design Kit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the GTS does NOT get the side skirts that you can get when you get the Sport Design Kit on the non-GTS models. If you don't want the Sport Design Kit, then you'd like the looks of the Turbo better.
- Naturally aspirated direct power (however much it may be) vs turbo lag (however little it may be).
- Naturally aspirated sound vs turbo sound (grunt vs whoosh).
- "Prestige" factor
- Interior. Granted both cars can more or less be specced to look identical, but the GTS has some exclusive interior options (leather/alcantara combo). Depends if you like/want that.

If it was my choice, I'd go with the Turbo.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:29 PM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
Love my GTS. Ride height in comfort mode, faster transmission, standard PSE, alcantara interior, piano black trim, black exterior trim, instant throttle response, interaction of new transmission to PSE...the list goes on.

So happy with the car.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:36 PM
gaitherb is on a distinguished road
I decided on the Turbo. I test drove it again and the car is simply amazing. I believe the GTS is a great car, but this particular Turbo "spoke" to me more than the GTS.

I'm still learning the car, but man it's really nice. It's parked next to my M3 in the garage and this car dwarfs my little M3. Hell, it's just as long as my wife's RR Sport.

I'm happy with the purchase. For the record, I'm also an audiophile and the Burmester is insane...I will miss the exhaust note of the GTS, but the Burmester kinda makes up for it.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:37 PM
keith27 will become famous soon enough
Congratulations! Beautiful car!

Old 10-29-2012, 03:12 PM
rbspeed is on a distinguished road
Congrats, beautiful. Love the wheels - what are they?

Old 10-29-2012, 05:42 PM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
Beautiful car!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tough Decision: Panamera GTS or Turbo