Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pls help me replace my weenie tires/wheels!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Carolina Girl has a spectacular aura aboutCarolina Girl has a spectacular aura aboutCarolina Girl has a spectacular aura about
Pls help me replace my weenie tires/wheels!

OK, so I finally get the new car of my dreams, and it comes from Porsche with 18" wheels mounted with what look like tractor tires. WTH? (I guess that is what I get for buying the base model - girlie tires.)

It took a lot just to get the car, and I didn't want to press my luck asking the hubs to shell out large $ for new tires/wheels, so I have sucked it up for almost two years, and just can't take it anymore. (The last straw was a good friend who laughed - LAUGHED - at my tires.)

What I want is to replace the 18" F 245/50, R 275/45's with at least a 19", but preferably 20" wheel/tire package, and to have a lower profile w/o messing up my tire pressure monitoring gadget. (I was told I have to stay within 30% of the original tire diameter in order to be OK with that.) I don't want to go too low on my profile to avoid messing up my wheels since I drive a lot of uneven roads.

A friend at the local Porsche dealership recommended Wheel Dynamics to me, but a little research showed some troubling issues here and elsewhere with them.

Sooooo, can someone suggest:

1. If I should roll with 19" or 20"
2. What would be a good tire size pairing
3. Good tire choice for a balance between performance, ride and longevity
3. Reputable and not too crazily expensive source.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by Carolina Girl; 09-17-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:31 PM
jaatlee is on a distinguished road
Do you want to look at only OEM 19" or 20" rim/tire size options or are you interested in any aftermarket setups?

Jeff

Old 09-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Carolina Girl has a spectacular aura aboutCarolina Girl has a spectacular aura aboutCarolina Girl has a spectacular aura about
I'd be fine with aftermarket as long as it's a reputable source.

Last edited by Carolina Girl; 09-17-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:04 PM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
If they fit, I'd get the 20" Turbo II wheels from Porsche and call it a day

Old 09-17-2013, 01:09 PM
I would really love to do that, but I can't swing the $.

Last edited by Carolina Girl; 09-17-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:12 PM
jaatlee is on a distinguished road
I would recommend that you first check the classifieds section to see if anyone is currently selling their OEM 19" or 20" wheels and tires, that would be the quickest and easiest upgrade option.

If you are concerned about cost though, you can also get OEM replica wheels and tires for much, much less from vendors on Ebay in sizes up to 22"

Jeff

Old 09-17-2013, 01:17 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Please call me. I'll be happy to go through your choices with you and see if we have anything that you like. You can search our site for your car here.

Thanks.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 09-17-2013, 01:21 PM
I did look at Ebay, and saw quite a few options there, but I am concerned about the quality.

I'm afraid to buy used, as I'm worried about someone having a wheel they know is damaged and just unloading it.

I am sure someone out there had their new 19-20's pulled and replaced with 21-22", but finding something like that seems like it would be hard to do.

I'd like to find a GOOD, reasonable aftermarket source for new, if possible.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Hi Damon, Will do. I've bought tires from y'all in the past.

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2013, 03:22 PM
MIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enoughMIA997TTBeast will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Carolina Girl
OK, so I finally get the new car of my dreams, and it comes from Porsche with 18" wheels mounted with what look like tractor tires. WTH? (I guess that is what I get for buying the base model - girlie tires.)

It took a lot just to get the car, and I didn't want to press my luck asking the hubs to shell out large $ for new tires/wheels, so I have sucked it up for almost two years, and just can't take it anymore. (The last straw was a good friend who laughed - LAUGHED - at my tires.)

What I want is to replace the 18" F 245/50, R 275/45's with at least a 19", but preferably 20" wheel/tire package, and to have a lower profile w/o messing up my tire pressure monitoring gadget. (I was told I have to stay within 30% of the original tire diameter in order to be OK with that.) I don't want to go too low on my profile to avoid messing up my wheels since I drive a lot of uneven roads.

A friend at the local Porsche dealership recommended Wheel Dynamics to me, but a little research showed some troubling issues here and elsewhere with them.

Sooooo, can someone suggest:

1. If I should roll with 19" or 20"
2. What would be a good tire size pairing
3. Good tire choice for a balance between performance, ride and longevity
3. Reputable and not too crazily expensive source.

Thank you very much!
First of all, welcome to the club, you will find A LOT of good stuff here in this forum.

I guess you have a panny and maybe base V6, if you do great car.

The maximum difference that you have to be aware, it's not been for the TPM but more importantly for the differential and speedo and AWD (if you have a 4) is 6% from OEM, 30% is too big, otherwise it throws the computer a fit.

My advise is to get them from a member here, most of us active members are very trustworthy, at least I know I would trust most of us here.

Good luck with your baby, and enjoy it in good health.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:06 PM
TheBeav will become famous soon enough
LoL tractor tires. Thats a good one.

Porsche should be ashamed for some of the wheel/tire combos they send out on these things. Having said that, the 18's must be a nice cushy ride over the bumps.

If you dont completely want to lose that go with 19's. If you dont mind the occasional jarring then the 20's look better and perform well. A reputable supplier can help you choose the right wheel size and offsets.

For tires, I picked up a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports in July and love them. Got them from TireRack.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:25 AM
Thank you! I wish I didn't care, but I am so offended by them. I even black them more often than I normally would because it helps them be less, well, noticeable. I like the wheels, just wish they were 2" bigger! The tires, notsomuch. Touring tires on a Porsche - jeesh. :P

On the plus side, like TheBeav said, they are cushy. Thanks for the rec on the Michelins. I've had good experiences with them and with Tire Rack in the past.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:55 AM
cvprez will become famous soon enough
I just sold a like new set of oem 20" turbo II wheels with tires, sensors and centercaps (basically a bolt on set up) for $3000.00 on ebay. Not sure how much cheaper than that you think you're going to be able to get the whole package even if you went aftermarket. I'd check ebay and if it's someone with reputable feedback I wouldn't be concerned about them dumping something on you.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:02 AM
cvprez, a deal like that is what I was hoping to find. After thinking about it some more, I'd really prefer to stay oem.

I'll look at Ebay some more.

Thanks!

Last edited by Carolina Girl; 09-18-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
We offer a few different styles you might be interested in. The 856's seem to be our most popular style among Porsche users. For more information Click Here.

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pls help me replace my weenie tires/wheels!