Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pirelli all season - any experience in snow?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 05:57 AM
bobolouie is on a distinguished road
Pirelli all season - any experience in snow?

I have a 2010 PTT with 20 inch Pirelli cinturato P7 all season tires - anyone have experience with these in snow?
Thanks

Old 11-15-2013, 02:08 PM
dhh
dhh has a spectacular aura aboutdhh has a spectacular aura about
I wouldn't even try it - just buy a set of snows or another vehicle - I drive my R63 all winter with snow tires and just park the PTT

Old 11-15-2013, 05:56 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
They will get you through cold temperatures fine, but in snow you will have to be extremely careful on them. They are very wide and the tread depth is not that deep. I would strongly consider snow tires if you plan to have real confidence in the winter months.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 11-15-2013, 09:39 PM
TAZ40JAHRE is on a distinguished road
Winter Tires

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
They will get you through cold temperatures fine, but in snow you will have to be extremely careful on them. They are very wide and the tread depth is not that deep. I would strongly consider snow tires if you plan to have real confidence in the winter months.

I just bought a set of Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II tires from Tire Rack (Archer was my salesman - great guy - very helpful!). I live in STL and we don't usually have a ton of snow but we get enough cold/icy/wet weather that I wanted winter tires for my PTT, which is my DD. I had to go with the 20" tires on my Turbo II wheels because I have the ceramic brakes (couldn't go with the smaller 19" tires on different wheels). Hoping these do the trick until spring when I can put my summer tires back on her.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	301924  
Old 11-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Market Top is on a distinguished road
A little OT, but will with all season tires be OK on the Panamera 4? I currently drive a 997S and will be trading for the Panamera. I run 18" wheels/snow tires on the 997 in the winter....hmmmm, will they work on the Panamera? (sorry, I dont mean to hijack the thread).

Old 11-18-2013, 02:22 PM
teutonic GT2 is on a distinguished road
I have a set of original Porsche 20" wheels and Pirelli winter tires for sale. See classified board.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:23 PM
bobolouie is on a distinguished road
Damon, is there a big difference between 19 and 20 inch rims for snows re: traction? I like the look of 20's although i know that 19's are recommended for snow tires. Just looking at your site for ideas

Old 11-20-2013, 02:42 AM
farfinator is infamous around these parts
Ideally the smaller footprint/tread, taller sidewall and additional tread depth you achieve in a smaller wheel and tire combo along with the purposeful snow tire compound would achieve the best/safest experience.
The Panamera is somewhat notorious for persnickety handling in the cold period.
Virtually ever Pan owner has been back at this NY dealer within a month ordering a 19" wheel and tire package, which presently, with Porsche's incentives, can be obtained at a very attractive pricing.

PM if you would like details.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:31 AM
teutonic GT2 is on a distinguished road
The question of 19 vs 20 comes down to whether you need a snow tire or a winter tire.

19s are the choice for deep snow. 20s are perfect for performance winter tires that work great at low temperatures and in wet/slushy conditions. Winter tires also have significantly better performance on cold dry roads in braking and turning than snow tires. With snow tires, the Panamera feels like a boat.

Looking at my driving, in the greater NYC area, it's very rare to have more than an inch of snow on the road. For me, a winter tire was the right choice.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:47 AM
mziegler38 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by farfinator
Ideally the smaller footprint/tread, taller sidewall and additional tread depth you achieve in a smaller wheel and tire combo along with the purposeful snow tire compound would achieve the best/safest experience.
The Panamera is somewhat notorious for persnickety handling in the cold period.
Virtually ever Pan owner has been back at this NY dealer within a month ordering a 19" wheel and tire package, which presently, with Porsche's incentives, can be obtained at a very attractive pricing.

PM if you would like details.

PM sent.