Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera questions: which one to chose?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Pieter97 is on a distinguished road
Panamera questions: which one to chose?

New to this forum, had a 993 before as a 3rd car, sold it recently (amazing how values have gone up since I purchased it!).

Now I am in the market for a Panamera as a daily driver. My commute is typical FL: 10min local traffic to I95 highway, then 30min on I95. No twists, no curves, quite boring. I put around 15-18k / year on my car.

I have been shopping online, reading, visited the local Porsche dealer in Ft Lauderdale and I instead of focusing in on of the Panamera models, I feel I have more questions.

I will likely end up buying a CPO, I don’t understand why a new Porsche has a 50k warranty, and a CPO with 5k miles would have 100k miles warranty?

I will likely drive the car for the next 5 years, I put 100k miles on my last daily driver.

Really like the 2013 GTS, I can afford one, but with the boring commute would it really matter to have the extra HP and great engine rumble?

My neighbor will be selling his 2011 Panamera soon (one of his 3 Porsches) , always garaged, like new with only 14k miles, he will get it valued at Carmax and I can buy it for the same price, I think that would be around $45k. This is the ‘basic Panamera’, no “S” or “4S”. No CPO, so I would have to get after market warranty.

A 2013 GTS is double the price. I could buy the 2011 Panny from my neighbor, and a fairly recent 911 as a 3rd car for the price of a 2013 GTS…

And to make things more confusing, I can get into a 2013 Panamera S hybrid in the low $70k range, never titled, I see 2-3 for sale on the east coast. But then again, it scares me if more than one dealer has inventory of 2013 Panamera S hybrids that is unsold in 2015.

At the end of the day, is the GTS worth double the price, bearing in mind the boring commute on I95? Would a 2013 hybrid or 2011 do the same thing, just without the big GTS grin on my face for the next 100k miles?

Would love to hear from the forum, thank you.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:06 PM
NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !NiceCar Is a GOD !
I guess I'm used to very harsh drives since I think the 2013 GTS has an extremely compliant and comfortable feel in regular setting. And I drive on some of the worst roads in the US.

Sport and Sport+ settings are stiffer, and while you do feel the imperfections in the road more, I still don't consider them very harsh. If you want to float over roads, get a Rolls.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:25 PM
umwolverine will become famous soon enoughumwolverine will become famous soon enough
Get the GTS. You will have a smile on your face every day you drive it, if for no other reason than the sound. I'm planning on 100K on mine as well - 50K so far.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:45 PM
C-MAN67 is a jewel in the roughC-MAN67 is a jewel in the roughC-MAN67 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Pieter97
New to this forum, had a 993 before as a 3rd car, sold it recently (amazing how values have gone up since I purchased it!).

Now I am in the market for a Panamera as a daily driver. My commute is typical FL: 10min local traffic to I95 highway, then 30min on I95. No twists, no curves, quite boring. I put around 15-18k / year on my car.

I have been shopping online, reading, visited the local Porsche dealer in Ft Lauderdale and I instead of focusing in on of the Panamera models, I feel I have more questions.

I will likely end up buying a CPO, I don’t understand why a new Porsche has a 50k warranty, and a CPO with 5k miles would have 100k miles warranty?

I will likely drive the car for the next 5 years, I put 100k miles on my last daily driver.

Really like the 2013 GTS, I can afford one, but with the boring commute would it really matter to have the extra HP and great engine rumble?

My neighbor will be selling his 2011 Panamera soon (one of his 3 Porsches) , always garaged, like new with only 14k miles, he will get it valued at Carmax and I can buy it for the same price, I think that would be around $45k. This is the ‘basic Panamera’, no “S” or “4S”. No CPO, so I would have to get after market warranty.

A 2013 GTS is double the price. I could buy the 2011 Panny from my neighbor, and a fairly recent 911 as a 3rd car for the price of a 2013 GTS…

And to make things more confusing, I can get into a 2013 Panamera S hybrid in the low $70k range, never titled, I see 2-3 for sale on the east coast. But then again, it scares me if more than one dealer has inventory of 2013 Panamera S hybrids that is unsold in 2015.

At the end of the day, is the GTS worth double the price, bearing in mind the boring commute on I95? Would a 2013 hybrid or 2011 do the same thing, just without the big GTS grin on my face for the next 100k miles?

I had a hybrid as a loaner from my dealer until my PTT was ready. I thought I would be satisfied with it and I liked it enough to possibly buy it because it was a unsold 2014 and was new. My PTT was a 2012 with 12k miles. I could have both the new one for the same price as the preowned.

When I did get my 2012 PTT delivered and I drove it I immediately forgot about the new hybrid. I literally can't wait to drive my car. If you get the V6 don't drive the GTS you will not want to go back. I don't car how long the commute the performance difference is palpable.

I say get as much car as you can afford. Also after market warranties are a pain in the butt to deal with. Not at all like getting a Porsche CPO.

Good luck and quite frankly after not having a Porsche for 3 years there truly is "No Substitute" God willing, I will never in my life not have one again

Old 03-21-2015, 06:05 PM
EmmHolla is on a distinguished road
GTS... Seems like the consensus amongst automotive journalists is that the GTS is the best value Panamera.. I have a 4S and I love it. Since the GTS is a beefier 4S I would lean toward getting it.. Also it seems you're only factoring your morning commute.. This car is as versatile as they come.. On your weekend drives you'll love it...

Old 03-21-2015, 06:16 PM
ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !
The 2013 hybrid is a whole different animal than the 2014 e hybrid. Just pointing that out....

Old 03-22-2015, 07:58 AM
Gus_Smedstad is on a distinguished road
This is something the forum can't really answer for you, because it depends on you.

I had a similar commute for years, and power did matter to me. Just pushing it up the onramp every day was fun. In my experience, the only time power doesn't add to the experience is when I'm limited to residential streets or in stop and go traffic.

Not everyone feels that way. My wife drives a Cayman S, but I think she'd be perfectly happy with a base Cayman. The base Panamera feels very slow to me, but it's a lot faster than what most people drive.

The other question is, why do you want a Panamera specifically instead of a Cayman or 911? Because honestly it feels like a sports sedan, not a sports car. If you really need the room, the full-sized rear seats, or just want a more comfortable ride, then the Panamera can make sense.

I haven't driven a GTS, but my S e Hybrid's ride is ridiculously smooth in the default comfort setting. By far the most comfortable ride of any car I've ever driven. It completely ignores stuff that's very rough in my wife's Cayman S. Not that the stiff ride of the Cayman bothers me, it's part of the experience, but some people care about that.

Ace is correct that the 2013 and earlier S Hybrid is a very different animal from the 2014+ S e Hybrid. The 2014 has a much bigger electric motor and battery, and the battery's lithium-ion instead of NiMH.

I can think of a lot of reasons why you can find unsold 2013's. It was priced $5k higher than the S, and was an inferior car. Less power, it had an 8-speed automatic transmission instead of a PDK, and it was heavier. The improved gas mileage wasn't significant enough to be convincing, and it lacks the 2014's real electric mode.

Buying one now is a bit different, if you can get a bargain on a new one. You're getting it at a substantial discount compared to an S, which is how it should be. I'd still test drive it first.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:09 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
IMO go GTS or turbo. Both are big fun!

Old 03-22-2015, 01:13 PM
S2P
S2P is on a distinguished road
Replaced my Audi s7 (420hp) with a Pan 4. For what it's worth, I agree more power the better, but I don't miss the grunt at all. V6 is plenty quick. I know from other discussions I'm in the minority, But my drive is like yours, but more twistys where I live, and I'm very very happy with the performance. Low mileage, low cost, 90,2000 mi left on CPO, and a great Drive.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:06 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
Get the GTS

I have had both. Especially with power robbing hot weather GTS is the better choice.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:21 PM
iexoticcars has a spectacular aura aboutiexoticcars has a spectacular aura about
I think the GTS is the best value for the money.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:33 PM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Logimind
Gts has a very harsh drive.
Totally disagree. 35K miles on mine in NYC area. Great car. My ex drove it for a while and never complained.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:54 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Michael_s
Totally disagree. 35K miles on mine in NYC area. Great car. My ex drove it for a while and never complained.
Western PA roads are very rough. The GTS ride is firm but not harsh in my experience.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:42 AM
feeltherush will become famous soon enoughfeeltherush will become famous soon enough
I recently bought a turbo and used to live in margate. Think about when you're taking 95 down to mia in the evening. Or commuting outside of rush hour times (early morning, late night) the power will be tons of fun. Sometimes I just take fast turns, enjoy on/off ramps, or burn out of stoplights or signs. If you can afford it, it'll be fun. If lots of fun isn't as important as the other aspects (brand,beauty, comfort, etc.) save the money. For me, though, more power equals more smiles.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:22 PM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
GTS, Turbo, or 4S in fact...can't go wrong with any of the choices

- Jason

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Panamera questions: which one to chose?