Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My New Panamera T - & - PDK Jerkyness?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 11:06 AM
iammulva has a spectacular aura aboutiammulva has a spectacular aura aboutiammulva has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TabooPc
Hello!

I just picked up my new 2011 Panamera Turbo! I'm not new to these forums, as I'm normally over in the GT2 section. My GT2 is getting closer and closer to a race car, so I needed a daily.

White/black with full options and carbon trim. 69k miles. Here she is:

I was wondering what exactly the panamera PDK is supposed to drive like? It seems a little jerky to me, and I want to see if I need to get it inspected.

I've driven more modern PDKs in the 911s, and they're nothing like this. They're much much smoother, especially off the line. The panamera starts in second off the line. The only time I can get it to start in first is with sport plus on. Occasionally when the car first moves off the line, the engine revs up a lot and then grabs. This kind of "Sling shots" the car in a way, instead of smoothly rolling gradually.

Does anyone have any insight or experience with the panamera pdk vs the 911 pdk? If not, do you experience any jerkyness with your pdk in general?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what is normal jerking and what is a sign of something wrong with the transmission.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

I responded previously to your post and said "check for software update". However, since that post, I had the 60k service done on my car. The @#$@$ dealer did not perform two additional items that are specific to the 60k service interval.

1. Change PDK (transmission) fluid
2. Change PDCC reservoir

The PDCC reservoir is irrelevant to your (and my) problem with jerky shifting, but the transmission fluid is not. I am posting this so that you and others are aware that the above two items are scheduled maintenance, but the dealer can (and mine did) overlook them because they are not part of the standard every 10k, every 20k, etc schedule.

I just now had PDK fluid changed (at 69k miles) and reflashed transmission software. My shifting is not perfect, but is MUCH improved.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:30 PM
amgpan is an unknown quantity at this point
Can you find out the software version they flashed too?

Old 06-27-2017, 08:49 AM
iammulva has a spectacular aura aboutiammulva has a spectacular aura aboutiammulva has a spectacular aura about
The jerkiness in my transmission has returned. I had it in recently for oil and coolant leaks (oh joy!) and told them about the jerky 2nd gear behavior. They said:

1. We updated the transmission software
2. We do not know whether you had the latest or not because our computer doesn't tell us that - it just puts down the new version regardless

I don't know whether either of those two statements are true, but 2nd gear still does not behave the way I EXPECT a transmission (at any price) to behave.

This is the one issue that keeps me from loving my PTT unconditionally.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:29 PM
Banned
Jcarter is a name known to allJcarter is a name known to allJcarter is a name known to allJcarter is a name known to allJcarter is a name known to allJcarter is a name known to all
I remember reading a review, I think of the new Panamera, and they talked about the con of the older versions was that the PDK was jerky.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:33 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
The only time it gets annoying to me is if I'm starting with heavy throttle from a stop or if accerating up a hill from a stop. What works for me is manually shifting into first then after moving push the lever to the right to get auto mode, almost immediately. Also, using very light throttle until the clutch hooks up works too,
The PDK is a wonderful transmission but I found adjusting to its characteristic makes it more enjoyable.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:47 PM
Paul970 is an unknown quantity at this point
My PTT has only 40k miles on it and i was having the same jerkiness with it, took it to the dealership last week and had the transmission serviced and asked for the update! Been told that there’s a new update and had it updated! (Service + update), + PDCC full service and brake flush and other 20k 40k services which are not related to this topic! Had the car back and first ride off the road felt the huge difference! Perfect shifting timings and smooth acceleration! Couldn’t be happier!! The next day took the car for another test and transmission was smooth and ride was super pleasant!

Yesterday drove the car again and street raced twice on sport plus with a Nissan GTR and was impressed by the results! But as soon as I’ve switched over to normal mode all the jerkiness and weird shifting was back again!

i have no idea what happened or going on but these PDKs are so complicated! I’ve never seen something like this! I believe thats what they call adaptation! Or relearning driving style! As soon as i pushed the car and drove it sporty it has gotten back to his jerky mode!

so i believe this is just the way these transmissions are, as i said car is almost brand new with only 40k on it and have been told everything is operating perfectly!

so I’ve found the pedal shifting the best way possible of reducing jerkiness but even with that it’s still there and you can experience it!

long story short software update or service would not resolve the issue but it will prevent it from the mechanical failures!

good luck everyone and enjoy your Porsche!

Old 11-29-2019, 10:00 PM
NormalFellow will become famous soon enough
Hey guys, just wanted to inform you all that Ive had plenty of great experience with fixinig this issue on a few panameras, these usually can become apparent after 50k miles depending on the climate that you live and the type of driving that you do... If you switch over to Motul Multi-DCTF transmission fluid, the jerkiness completely smooths out and the transmission just runs much much happier with that fluid in. It is Porsche approved by the way. Just thought Id share that with you guys as this is precisely the reason why I go with this stuff.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:04 PM
Also, when you drive going from Sport+, and switching back down to regular eco mode, a lot of the jerkiness is due to the delay in the drive by wire for the throttle. if you start off by driving in eco mode first, the jerkiness isnt there i noticed.

Old 11-30-2019, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by NormalFellow
Hey guys, just wanted to inform you all that Ive had plenty of great experience with fixinig this issue on a few panameras, these usually can become apparent after 50k miles depending on the climate that you live and the type of driving that you do... If you switch over to Motul Multi-DCTF transmission fluid, the jerkiness completely smooths out and the transmission just runs much much happier with that fluid in. It is Porsche approved by the way. Just thought Id share that with you guys as this is precisely the reason why I go with this stuff.
Porsche recommends to only use the Pentosin FFL-3 in all PDK transmission but i strongly believe that Pentosin isn’t a superior fluid and thats why PDKs are having problems after 30k to 50k miles depending on the driving style!!

I’m 99% with you because in one of my Porsches i was having jerking and shutter problems and it all went away after adding a transmission fluid additive to it! So it was all fluid quality related!!!!!!

Last edited by Paul970; 11-30-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:08 PM
Just a quick FYI, the Motul Multi-DCTF fluid is Porsche A40 approved.

Old 11-30-2019, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by NormalFellow
Just a quick FYI, the Motul Multi-DCTF fluid is Porsche A40 approved.

most of the PDK issues are fluid related and it can be fixed with an additive! I’ve never tried Motul but i believe it can be effective!

Old 12-01-2019, 10:54 AM
stealthn is on a distinguished road
I would first try a PDK reset (instructions on forum), then a fluid change - this was the best for mine. But this PDK is no where near the same as the 911 one.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by stealthn
I would first try a PDK reset (instructions on forum), then a fluid change - this was the best for mine. But this PDK is no where near the same as the 911 one.

both were done by dealership! No changes! It’s all fluid quality and friction related!

Old 05-28-2020, 10:19 PM
newporsche is an unknown quantity at this point
Did anyone ever get a clear fix for this? I have same issue with jerkiness...sometimes I hear engine reving but transmission not catching and when it finally does it jolts me. When this happens should I manually shift to 1st gear to smooth it out?

Also I noticed turning off psm has helped with the jerkiness

Old 05-29-2020, 08:17 AM
shrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud of
I've learned to live with it and get around it. If I take my foot off the brake and wait half a second, there is no delay. To me, it feels like the clutch engaging.