Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My New Panamera T - & - PDK Jerkyness?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 01:50 PM
TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !
My New Panamera T - & - PDK Jerkyness?

Hello!

I just picked up my new 2011 Panamera Turbo! I'm not new to these forums, as I'm normally over in the GT2 section. My GT2 is getting closer and closer to a race car, so I needed a daily.

White/black with full options and carbon trim. 69k miles. Here she is:

I was wondering what exactly the panamera PDK is supposed to drive like? It seems a little jerky to me, and I want to see if I need to get it inspected.

I've driven more modern PDKs in the 911s, and they're nothing like this. They're much much smoother, especially off the line. The panamera starts in second off the line. The only time I can get it to start in first is with sport plus on. Occasionally when the car first moves off the line, the engine revs up a lot and then grabs. This kind of "Sling shots" the car in a way, instead of smoothly rolling gradually.

Does anyone have any insight or experience with the panamera pdk vs the 911 pdk? If not, do you experience any jerkyness with your pdk in general?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what is normal jerking and what is a sign of something wrong with the transmission.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Old 11-04-2015, 02:28 PM
EmmHolla is on a distinguished road
You may need a software update. I think that should fix it..

Old 11-04-2015, 02:30 PM
TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by EmmHolla
You may need a software update. I think that should fix it..
Is that something a dealer wouldn't just do? The car was bought from a porsche dealer. Its a certified pre-owned.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:34 PM
EmmHolla is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TabooPc
Is that something a dealer wouldn't just do? The car was bought from a porsche dealer. Its a certified pre-owned.
Who knows.. I'd call them and make sure your pdk software is up to date.. If it is explain to them your situation.. It isnt a normal.. They should do something about it..

Old 11-04-2015, 08:24 PM
TTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of lightTTCarrera is a glorious beacon of light
It will start in 1st if you downshift it. Pull the paddle or press the button, if your's doesn't have paddles.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by TTCarrera
It will start in 1st if you downshift it. Pull the paddle or press the button, if your's doesn't have paddles.
Yeah It has the paddle steering wheel. Thats a pretty inconvenient solution. Do you shift down to first every time the car stops?

Old 11-05-2015, 08:18 AM
iammulva has a spectacular aura aboutiammulva has a spectacular aura aboutiammulva has a spectacular aura about
I had the same issue with mine, mostly in Sport or Sport Plus. If you go to the dealer and tell them what you are experiencing they should do the software update. I don't think you can just tell them to do the software update (at least that's the impression I got from my service guy). Software update should greatly reduce the jerkiness.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:28 AM
nephew is on a distinguished road
I have a 2014 PTT and I think the PDK is a little jerky, esp compared to my experiences with the PDK in 911s and Boxsters.

One characteristic of the PTT is that first gear is very short and if started in 1st gear, the car will have to shift fairly quickly. FWIW, the only time the car is in first gear is when I manually shift into it.

I don't have any reason to put the car into Sport Plus mode in normal driving and the car doesn't go into 1st gear by itself in Sport mode either.

Probably the biggest issue I have with the transmission is that the throttle isn't responsive when starting in second gear - it is more than just turbo lag. Maybe I just need a heavier foot.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:58 PM
iammulva has a spectacular aura aboutiammulva has a spectacular aura aboutiammulva has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by nephew
Probably the biggest issue I have with the transmission is that the throttle isn't responsive when starting in second gear - it is more than just turbo lag. Maybe I just need a heavier foot.

Sprint Booster can help with that. I like a responsive throttle and don't like mashing the pedal to the floor so I installed Sprint Booster and it helps.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:24 PM
TheBeav will become famous soon enough
I had a 2011 PTT and just traded it for a 2015 991 GTS. The PDK in the GTS is lightyears ahead of the one in my PTT. The latter was very jerky and clunky.

I also never found a happy medium between the super abrupt 1st gear start and the sliding feeling of a 2nd gear start from stop. I loved the car overall, but I'm surprised Porsche released a car at that price point (> $150k) without getting that more sorted.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:58 PM
cheetos72 is on a distinguished road
I am in the same boat (2011 PTT) and search for the right throttle input to avoid the jerkiness but on quick starts it is like a slingshot. Also I have the same sxperience with newer PDKs -- very smooth and completely like the 2011 PTT on start. After starting off it is smooth.

Anyway I'll have to have a chat with the dealership. Please post if you do the same with any results.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:48 PM
Goonie is on a distinguished road
In sport mode, it will drop into 1st gear if I floor it.

In sport plus, it automatically puts it into 1st.

2012 PTT. Doesn't seem jerky. Sure do miss a clutch though. lol

Old 11-07-2015, 02:28 AM
Thanks for everyone's replies. Its comforting to know that many have similar experiences. You guys are describing it perfectly.

In first it comes off the line too hard, and in second it has sort of a "sliding" into gear feeling.

I'm still going to have to dealer take a look at it- maybe the trans does have a software update that will improve it somewhat!

Cheers!

Old 11-07-2015, 08:22 PM
nephew is on a distinguished road
Keep us apprised if your dealer is able to address! Thx

Old 11-08-2015, 04:04 PM
EMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud ofEMC2 has much to be proud of
I always use the paddles to shift, so I cant't comment on the 1st gear selection question.
However I am on my 3rd Panamera and I also have a 911 (997.2) PDK, and I would not describe any of them as jerky. In Sports Plus they shift really fast & aggressive, but still not jerky.

I agree with other who suggest a software update.

Also; I know that the 997.2 PDK requires a Transmission Oil change at 60k miles. I haven't done that many miles on any of the Panameras, so I'm not sure if the same applies. That would be worth checking.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My New Panamera T - & - PDK Jerkyness?