Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Suspension Leak- at the top of the strut?

Old 03-08-2017, 03:31 AM
KamanCali is an unknown quantity at this point
Air Suspension Leak- at the top of the strut?

Hi all,

Was planning to write a "Here's my new PTT and pics" post- but some refurbishment to do first!

Left front air suspension - identified the leak- it appears to be the top of the strut, and not the bag. See pic from the engine compartment. That's a first for me. Any thoughts on if a refurb kit doing the job- or - gasp- a way to patch it up w/o disassembly? I would think it runs around 100-300psi, so ....... just exploring options, but otherwise will hit the bullet and tear down.

....then will get to the fan mail pic posts.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo72.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	591.9 KB
ID:	471338  
Old 03-08-2017, 03:46 AM
Here's a thought as well for context....(trying to avoid being trolled b/c of eBay ghetto fabulous)- just looking for a refurb kit similar to this w/o just buying a whole new strut for like $1.7-$2k+.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272574527319

Front Left Air Suspension Air Spring Bag Strut for Porsche Panamera 2010-2014

Old 03-08-2017, 11:27 PM
JayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the rough
good luck. Just replaced both my front struts as there were leaking from the same area and had to wait two months for them from the factory. Tried going the cheap route by getting them rebuilt and ended getting screwed by them and spent more money than if I went the OEM. Sucks.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:16 AM
Mind me asking what screwed you on your refurbs? Which company?

Thanks

Old 03-12-2017, 09:51 AM
JayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the rough
pm me and give me your email address so I can send you pictures.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:57 AM
stanspan is an unknown quantity at this point
Whats wrong with the e-bay part ? they have 99.5 % positive rating. My wife has a very successful e-bay store and I can tell you... Thats a great seller as far as taking care of people and satisfaction vs sales. I am sure he will replace if there is a problem. just my 2 cents

Old 09-11-2021, 03:08 PM
Hugo Gaspar is an unknown quantity at this point
Same problem

Please.

I have the same problem.
leak at the top of the strut, seams rubber seal…

any part available?

thank you.

Old 09-17-2021, 04:59 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
One theory is that the o-ring seal at top is all that needs to be placed. Check the posts by Shrike. He documented a disassembly and rebuild of these struts. He though the culprit was the o-ring.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:07 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
What he documented is one of several possible leaks of the strut. The strut actually, most often leaks from the area shown above (bubbles in soap water test), but also leaks from the bellows. In that case, you will never see any leak, and wont be able to test for it.
All you will see is air being lost in the shock over time.
Once you see air lost in the air shock, you can bet that if you keep it as is, the compressor with the relay will go, maybe even the valve block.
The complete bill from dealer to replace affected parts for air suspension on 970 panamera is around 10k.
If you got the $, I say go for it.
If you want to save, you can get remanufactured shocks. I did that and has really good experience. Leaving it at that.
Doing air suspension repair as DIY, will save you thousands, LITERALLY.
Find my threads showing how to diagnose, and how to fix. If I can do it, anyone else can as well.

Old 09-20-2021, 04:01 PM
jzchen will become famous soon enough
Arnott makes both rebuilt struts and brand new struts. I got a brand new one from Rock Auto. Check if they have it for sale sometimes stocked sometimes not....

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.