Sponsored by:

Adaptive Cruise Control Retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Emerging Sponsor
atwong1 will become famous soon enough
Adaptive Cruise Control Retrofit

I have done it to my Panamera. Cost was $399 for sensor (eBay used), harness $150, brackets $30, switch (behind steering) $220, additional VW fuse pin $30 incl. shipping (because I bought a used fusebox), additional AUDI pins for plug under right side headlight X 3 $7 shipped from China, matching color wires (orange blue and orange brown for Crash Can bus, and red/black for +12V) $15, front grille with the hole $130, M6 tapping tool to make threaded holes under aluminum bumper $20. Lots of technical support and encouragement from Paul Li (free of charge). 10 total fair hours of work if I have done them all in one shot (remove bumper, right front wheel, wheel well covers, glove box and fuse box, run cables, install sensor, programming with PIWIS II, test drive. This is one of the most intense projects, yet one of the most satisfying. ACC is awesome on the road. You won't know what you have been missing until you have it. Here are the before and after pictures. I live in Atlanta so if anyone wants more detail you are welcomed to contact me.

This was the picture before I bought the car.

This was taken recently after the install but before the wiring completion.

Last edited by atwong1; 12-20-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:35 PM
Victory007 is on a distinguished road
Wow bro.. Awesome! This is the kind of stuff I really like to see.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:38 PM
Emerging Sponsor
The new switch looks like this...

And this was the donor fuse box.

And this is my missing fuse

And this is after wiring is completed and before programming

With fuse populated

And data connection to Crash CANBUS made inside the A pillar

And here is part of the programming in PIWIS II

And finally working

Last edited by atwong1; 12-20-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:49 PM
knowspin has a spectacular aura aboutknowspin has a spectacular aura aboutknowspin has a spectacular aura about
Wow, I'm impressed!

Old 12-20-2017, 10:22 PM
Emerging Sponsor
Originally Posted by Victory007
Wow bro.. Awesome! This is the kind of stuff I really like to see.
If you have guts and are willing to get your hands dirty, you can come down to Atlanta and I will give you all instructions and lend you my garage so you can knock it out in 2 full days, may be with a little help from me. However, I do not have the calibration equipment. Alignment at Porsche with ACC and LDW calibration is strongly recommended.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:01 AM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Well done! @OP did you drive an S8 at one point in time? Your username looks very familiar!

Old 12-21-2017, 08:00 AM
Emerging Sponsor
Originally Posted by OEkun1
Well done! @OP did you drive an S8 at one point in time? Your username looks very familiar!
No. My older car is a 2008 Dodge Charger. I used this same username on those forums too. I did a lot of function add on the Charger too, so I was quite well known for teaching people doing this kind of stuff over there.

Last edited by atwong1; 12-21-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:56 PM
lesliew is an unknown quantity at this point
@@atwong1
Would love to do this DIY on my 2014 Panamera, this looks right up my alley. I previously retrofitted a complete OEM Navigation system into a 3 Series BMW which included swapping out the entire dashboard and splicing into the CAN bus so I've been there before.

Do you have a list of the part numbers required to do the Cruise control mod.

Last edited by lesliew; 01-17-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:17 PM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
I think I know where you from @atwong1, I believe you did some work for one of the S8 guys a few years back . It was a D3 S8, black if memory serves me right.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:27 PM
Emerging Sponsor
Originally Posted by OEkun1
I think I know where you from @atwong1, I believe you did some work for one of the S8 guys a few years back . It was a D3 S8, black if memory serves me right.
I don't work on cars for a living. I do it for fun and a small fee. By the way, I have started a new project...Turbo spoiler retrofit on my PSeH. I know many people have done it before, but I am doing it in a way that it will look factory, even in wiring. I will reuse all unused relay slots, wiring colors, fuse locations, and even the programming. It's going to be fun.

Last edited by atwong1; 12-07-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by atwong1
I don't work on cars for a living. I do it for free. By the way, I have started a new project...Turbo spoiler retrofit on my PSeH. I know many people have done it before, but I am doing it in a way that it will look factory, even in wiring. I will reuse all unused relay slots, wiring colors, fuse locations, and even the programming. It's going to be fun.
Apologies but looking forward to your work! I'm hoping to retrofit rear heated seats...

Old 04-28-2018, 11:31 AM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
very cool, keep up the good work!

Old 04-28-2018, 02:58 PM
Emerging Sponsor
Stay tuned for my turbo spoiler thread. I will be done within days.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:18 PM
Porsche2017 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello,

I have 2017 Targa and I'd love to retrofit ACC. I ain't really good at car fixing but I want to make it done. Is it possible to ask for your help with this project? I live in Miami and can come to Atlanta. Maybe I can use some local installer with your supervision and help? I understand that you're in different business but I want to pay for your expertise and your time. Please let me know if you're willing to help. Thank you in advance.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:33 AM
Emerging Sponsor
I would love to help. Please consider driving to Atlanta when ready. With that said, there are a lot of prep work. Need to list out all the parts to add and swap out and purchase them at reasonable prices, need to find the right connectors and pins (this is the hardest part because Porsche and VW don't sell them and we have to go directly to the electronics manufacturer), then study the wiring diagram to figure out the best path to lay the wires, and finally print out all the pages that are related to how to take the car apart without breaking anything. Even professional shops cannot be trusted because I know they miss a screw inside they will not go back and spend 2 hours take it apart and put it back. Do you have PET to look up parts for the first step? Please PM me.

Originally Posted by Porsche2017
Hello,

I have 2017 Targa and I'd love to retrofit ACC. I ain't really good at car fixing but I want to make it done. Is it possible to ask for your help with this project? I live in Miami and can come to Atlanta. Maybe I can use some local installer with your supervision and help? I understand that you're in different business but I want to pay for your expertise and your time. Please let me know if you're willing to help. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by atwong1; 06-05-2018 at 11:35 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise Control Retrofit