Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Panamera turbo rear differential fluid change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 09:00 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Post DIY: Panamera turbo rear differential fluid change

Replacing fluid on rear differential for 4 wheel drive panamera turbo. This applies to 4-wheel versions of Panamera. Not sure if fluid is same on other versions, but assume should be ok (but its up to you to verify).
Follow each picture in order from start to end.

Read entire set before you start. This gives you a good idea of what to expect, without any surprises (oh, I don't have this tool, etc).

This DIY uses Mobil Delvac 1 full synthetic gear oil 75-W90, which I was able to reference to the factory fluid Porsche uses - Shell TF0951.

Replacement schedule is every 120,000 miles or 12 years. I would definitely not wait that long to do this. After 60,000 miles the fluid is not even translucent, has a very characteristic metallic smell to it. Similar numbers were stated for Cayenne turbo vehicles, and folks were all changing these fluids after 60k miles. I would do so here as well.

If you see anything that you know is not correct, please chime in so it can be corrected. Thanks and hope it helps.

Fluid details - Rear differential:
  • Service Manual - factory fill: #18 on page 527 of Tequipment manual (Panamera 2010-Today) - Fill Qty: 1.15L for my PTT
    • Part No. 000 043 205 30
    • 75 W 90 GL-5 rated gear oil with carbon modifiers
    • Fill until it drips out fill hole, then close
  • What I used:
    • Mobil Delvac 1 75 W 90 gear oil (same as front final drive since has modifiers in it, and meets GL-5 rating as well)

Fluid details - Front final drive:
  • Service Manual - factory fill: Shell TF0951 - Fill Qty: 0.425L
    • Number 9 on page 518 of Tequipment manual (Panamera 2010-Today)
    • Part number 000 043 301 18
      • I found direct cross reference to Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic gear oil 75W-90 (that is what I used in my front final drive fluid change)
      • Fill until spills out of fill hole, then close
  • What I used
    • Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic gear oil 75W-90 (due to direct cross reference with Shell TF0951)
  • FSM fluid quantities in post #8 of this thread.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	00.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	515.5 KB
ID:	527903   Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	527904   Click image for larger version

Name:	01b.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	527905   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	527906   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	527907  

Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	527908   Click image for larger version

Name:	05.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	527909   Click image for larger version

Name:	06.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	527910   Click image for larger version

Name:	07.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	527911   Click image for larger version

Name:	08.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	527912  

Last edited by ciaka; 09-06-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:01 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Part 2 of DIY...

Again, if you know for a fact something is inaccurate please bring it up so we can correct asap.
Thank you.

Name:	09.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	375.6 KB
ID:	527913   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	520.4 KB
ID:	527914  
Old 06-27-2018, 09:03 AM
Victory007 is on a distinguished road
Awesome job - {adds to the to-do list}

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2018, 10:15 AM
negb is on a distinguished road
That's what I found after rear differential fluid change at Porsche dealer.. And I was blamed that I damaged differential shield by hitting something with bottom of my car..what a pish; and two bolts were cut of like with grinder and no more damages or even scratches anywhere else .

Name:	97035083001 Air Baffle Plate.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	475.6 KB
ID:	527995  
Old 06-27-2018, 10:22 AM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
Wow!

Old 06-28-2018, 10:12 AM

Old 07-03-2018, 11:45 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
How's about front differential for 4WD? I always wonder about the front differential.

Thank You

Old 07-04-2018, 06:22 AM
HP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the rough
Here's some capacity info from service manual which might be useful.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:14 AM
I was unable to access the drain plug from under car for front final drive. Did not have time so did not do yet. When I get a chance I will do the front as well ans will put up a DIY fir it too. Already have half the pics.
I wanted advice on how to reach the plug (trying from under car, there is a large axle carrier brace in the way which I dont think should be coming out fkr the change).
I think the plug can be reached from the side after tire and wheel lining is removed. Will try soon. If anyone who has done it can chime in, would be awesome.

Originally Posted by dougcayenne
How's about front differential for 4WD? I always wonder about the front differential.

Thank You

Old 07-04-2018, 09:26 AM
HP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the rough
You may beat me to it. I plan on doing both front and rear in about 3 weeks. I do have access to a 2-post lift which makes access to undersides much easier.

I'll post any learnings from when I replace the fluid. (no plan for any analysis on the diff gear oil)

Old 07-04-2018, 09:50 AM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
the race is on! :-)

keep up the good work guys, my car will be hitting the 60k mark late this year/early next and I will be wanting to do this as well....

Old 07-04-2018, 12:53 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
That's awesome, guys !!! We all should own you Chuck and Ciaka
a bottle of wine for great work, LOL ... Yes, FJ Porsche Fremont charges $1K for Transmission and Diff Front and rear. When you head to SF, please give the Porsche SF community a call, we treat you for lunch ...

Thank You.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:33 PM
Np dougcayenne. However I would prefer if you 'owe' me as opposed to 'own' me. lol

Glad to hear you find this useful. I know how intimidating it feels to have a nice car and not wanting to tackle issues in case something else breaks. My first car was Cayenne turbo, and I overcame this threshold with that car. Since, I have done many things on my own on both the Cayenne and the Panamera, saving tens of thousands, literally. Doing myself, I know nothing will be ignored or accidentally broken and hidden.

I used to live in Milpitas for several years while I worked at one of the tech companies in Silicon Valley.
Who knows, maybe we meet up sometime.

Originally Posted by dougcayenne
That's awesome, guys !!! We all should own you Chuck and Ciaka
a bottle of wine for great work, LOL ... Yes, FJ Porsche Fremont charges $1K for Transmission and Diff Front and rear. When you head to SF, please give the Porsche SF community a call, we treat you for lunch ...

Thank You.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:35 PM
If you end up doing this first, try to see what the access is to drain hole for front final drive from passenger side wheel well. Have to remove wheel and lining for this.
I tried to see from under the car but the axle carrier brace is covering the area. I can see the inspection hole, but did not get to the drain hole. I was actually going to try today, but wife discovered other things to do around house, so guess what - happy wife, happy life.
I will still try next opportunity (maybe this coming weekend).

I am putting a two post lift as a nice to have gift for myself next opportunity. Started prepping wife for it. They are not too cost prohibitive. Saw some 9000lbs lift, for 1500. Install very simple, 4 bolts into concrete in garage. Then, you can pretty much do anything in there.

Originally Posted by HP41
You may beat me to it. I plan on doing both front and rear in about 3 weeks. I do have access to a 2-post lift which makes access to undersides much easier.

I'll post any learnings from when I replace the fluid. (no plan for any analysis on the diff gear oil)

Last edited by ciaka; 07-04-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:56 PM
Ciaka,

Milpitas is so expensive now as the whole bay area. Traffic is massive during the commuting time ... Take me 1 hr to get back from FJ Porche to Zanker, 4.8 miles in the morning. You know FJ Porsche Fremont …
Cayenne is easy to work, I like my truck 2014 CayenneS... PAN is better … That’s nice to have a lift in the garage, great deal for 1.5K. 1 major tune-up at Porsche is paid for the lift …

Good work for posting DIY. PM when you are in town for Biz, we find time to get together for lunch. LOL ...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Panamera turbo rear differential fluid change