Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over-rotated Power Folding Mirror

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 07:40 AM
TSTARKZ123 is on a distinguished road
Over-rotated Power Folding Mirror

Seems there was a mishap wherein my passenger side mirror was hit by a passing car and spun all the way around. Most of the mirror glass has shattered but that I can replace on my own. The biggest concern is I can't seem to rotate it back to normal position! I can continue rotating it clockwise (it was hit from the back and spun clockwise and hitched against the A pillar) and it gets to a point then stops but all attempts to rotate it counter-clockwise is met with significant resistance. I've tried engaging the power folding option and I can hear it trying to move but it can't.

Any suggestions before I bring it in to a body shop/dealer?

Old 07-09-2018, 08:59 AM
mziegler38 is on a distinguished road
I believe there is a shear pin in the assembly which protects the mechanism. Probably needs to be replaced.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by mziegler38
I believe there is a shear pin in the assembly which protects the mechanism. Probably needs to be replaced.
Are you thinking it somehow rotated beyond the shear pin and is now locked from rotating back?

Old 07-09-2018, 09:26 AM
mziegler38 is on a distinguished road
Yes I believe that's the case

Old 07-10-2018, 08:05 AM
Well seemingly fixed it for now. It absolutely refused to go counter clockwise but with a little persuasion and raising, it went clockwise back to original position. Checked the power folding options and all seems to function. Thanks again mziegler38!

Old 07-10-2018, 08:40 AM
Tazer is an unknown quantity at this point
It happened to me too. I just used brute force and it's been fine since lol

Old 07-14-2019, 02:13 PM
jzchen will become famous soon enough
Misread Instructions, Now Stuck Temporarily!

Got this far and realized I missed the instruction to remove the mirror, which I did not get during the hour subscription! Argh! Base is stuck there, next step is to remove the mirror. Looks like removal of the interior door panel is next. Gonna have to pay another $14 to find it. I'll report when I get further...

Old 07-15-2019, 07:01 AM
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
Didn't you just buy this car? I find it hard to believe the seller wouldn't try to fix it for you. You're a brave soul - not sure if I've ever seen such a complicated mechanism for a mirror. Best of luck getting it right!

Old 07-15-2019, 09:04 AM
Yes, we just bought it. The dealer did ask me to bring it back. I had the bright idea to ask if I could just take it directly to the repair shop, where the guy just said it’s normal, adjusted it way down and towards the car, because my complaint was that it made a huge blind spot as I couldn’t rotate it towards the body far enough. This worked to make it see the body of the car, but was a downward angle so again hard to see the lane beside. I basically spent the afternoon and got nowhere, except for a getting a decent alignment on the way home (long wait as they’re popular).

I wish I knew what the problem was, more specifically how to solve it. I can basically remove and replace the mirror now. I guess would that be the solution... Can’t find information on the issue in the subscription, nor how to adjust how far it rotates. What I did try was have the mirror rotate and attempt to pull the harness just as the mirror reached the correct spot, but it just kept rotating even with the harness pulled.

Sigh. Will contact the dealer if I have time today...

Old 07-15-2019, 06:50 PM
EDIT- Temporary Solution Only

Opened the interior door panel and found there’s no mechanical adjustment available, outside or inside. I subscribed one more time and found the wiring diagram. I carefully applied 12 V to pins 10-9, and it rotated. A couple more times and it was aligned up nicely!

Last edited by jzchen; 03-28-2021 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:56 PM
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
Congrats - persistence paid off!

Old 07-15-2019, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by skiracer13
Congrats - persistence paid off!
Thank you! And I know I did the job per Porsche specs:

23 Nm for the mirror bolt, and 7.5 Nm (66.4 inch-lbs) for the 4 bolts holding the door panel.

Now to soothe my slightly sunburnt face....

Old 07-16-2019, 08:33 AM
Last night as I was finishing up I took my diagnostic scan tool and tried to clear all the codes I may have caused opening up the door and disconnecting electronics without disconnecting the battery. It cleared the two errors found, and then I found I was stuck inside the car! WHAT!!! I climbed over the center console and out through the passenger door. All the other doors worked. I had to use the manual key to unlock the door to get in. Also after the tool was done, the mirror turned back to the problem position (Argh, another temporary solution. As long as I don't activate the mirror park position then the mirror is fine.) Took apart the door, applied 12 V to the pins until it was correct again, then took a break as it was dark. This morning, before it gets hot, I went out and reinstalled the interior door panel and trim. I found that I did not push the trim back in completely, which was most likely the reason I was stuck inside, the handle came into contact with the trim towards the rear and wouldn't swing far enough to open the door.

Well, on to figuring out how to recalibrate the hall effect sensor memory I'm guessing......

Old 08-25-2019, 01:55 PM
Finally found a dealer service advisor who said bring it in. That one needs to hold the mirror while one activates the folding function. I did that with the window down, on my own, but after reactivation it folded even further out of place. Repeating made it even worse. Then I grabbed it out of it's seated position, rotated it back towards folded and now it seats further on the folded side. I guess a few more tinkerings may just do it....

Old 08-28-2019, 09:32 AM
Solution

My 13 year old said "Why not try it twice?". Sure enough, folding, unfolding and stopping it in the proper spot, folding in, unfolding and stopping in the proper spot. The third time you try it will stop on it's own a tiny bit past where you set it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Over-rotated Power Folding Mirror