Keep Panamera Turbo S or switch to GTS - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > Porsche (Present) > Panamera
Reload this Page >

Keep Panamera Turbo S or switch to GTS

Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche

Keep Panamera Turbo S or switch to GTS

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 09-04-2018, 12:43 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Louisiana
Age: 47
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 0
vomitcomet is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep Panamera Turbo S or switch to GTS

Hi all! I'm new to posting but have checked into the site from time to time for helpful info. I have a dilemma that I'm hoping you can help with...I currently have a 2013 Panamera Turbo S with the CPO Warranty ending in 3/19. I'm looking to move up a few years and am not seeing any great Turbo S' around, so am thinking of switching to a 2016 GTS (great ones around the country with low miles and CPO through 2022). I absolutely love my car, but I'm at 65,000 miles and am not excited about being on the hook for any major repairs. I haven't found anything that I like as much as mine and I'm concerned that I'll miss the extra power of the S (there aren't any GTS' locally for me to go take a spin). Has anyone made this leap? Am I nuts, lol? For reference, I have 75% life left on the PCCB's (and I use the heck out of them), new Michelin Super Sports, and front air suspension is new. Car is in pristine shape. I have the sport exhaust and have wanted to put a tune on it, but my dealer said to hold off because of the miles (after 4 years, it doesn't seem to squish my eyeballs as much anymore!!). I'm currently putting about 6000 miles a year on.

I want to keep it, but it's making me nervous...really hope you all have some good ideas!!! Thanks!
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-04-2018, 12:50 PM
C4Sbeebe's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 376
Rep Power: 41
C4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vomitcomet View Post
Hi all! I'm new to posting but have checked into the site from time to time for helpful info. I have a dilemma that I'm hoping you can help with...I currently have a 2013 Panamera Turbo S with the CPO Warranty ending in 3/19. I'm looking to move up a few years and am not seeing any great Turbo S' around, so am thinking of switching to a 2016 GTS (great ones around the country with low miles and CPO through 2022). I absolutely love my car, but I'm at 65,000 miles and am not excited about being on the hook for any major repairs. I haven't found anything that I like as much as mine and I'm concerned that I'll miss the extra power of the S (there aren't any GTS' locally for me to go take a spin). Has anyone made this leap? Am I nuts, lol? For reference, I have 75% life left on the PCCB's (and I use the heck out of them), new Michelin Super Sports, and front air suspension is new. Car is in pristine shape. I have the sport exhaust and have wanted to put a tune on it, but my dealer said to hold off because of the miles (after 4 years, it doesn't seem to squish my eyeballs as much anymore!!). I'm currently putting about 6000 miles a year on.

I want to keep it, but it's making me nervous...really hope you all have some good ideas!!! Thanks!
if you love your current car, you could always price an extended warranty. might let you keep the current car with less angst.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-04-2018, 12:54 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Louisiana
Age: 47
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 0
vomitcomet is an unknown quantity at this point
True, hadn't really considered anything beyond the Porsche CPO; will have to check on it. Thanks!
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-04-2018, 02:56 PM
C4Sbeebe's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 376
Rep Power: 41
C4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant futureC4Sbeebe has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vomitcomet View Post
True, hadn't really considered anything beyond the Porsche CPO; will have to check on it. Thanks!
several options out there for varying prices and duration. one item that seems to be different is 'wear and tear' items. many won't cover W&T, so look into that.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-04-2018, 06:13 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: los alto, california
Posts: 133
Rep Power: 10
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
another option is to look for a good Porsche mechanic. I would ask the mechanic who works for porsche and likes to do some work in the weekend to get extra cash. They are the best you have to use a referral ... I have a same philosophy as yours. Don't want to keep the German car longer than 6 yrs of warranty. The moment I start spending $$$ on the car, it likes money pit and never end ... LOL ... warranty gives me a piece of mind and I don't have to finance the repair ... if you don't see any problem till 60K you probably are OK for 100K miles. I have 2016 PAN with extended warranty and Porsche mechanic who works for local porsche dealer here in the bay area. he can take care the maintenance for a fraction of cost compared with Porsche dealer.
PM to ciaka, he is an amazing DIY guy and can tell you more. He has a Turbo ...
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-04-2018, 06:25 PM
Registered User
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Fla
Age: 55
Posts: 53
Rep Power: 0
Bobby Buggs is an unknown quantity at this point
I have to agree with Doug, No matter what brand I had I always had a local dealership mechanic as a friend and did most of my work outside the stealership. Even did that with my boat. Had 6 Audis from 4000 to S6 and only 2 of them ever saw the local shop. I even had an account with the parts wholesaler and he would ship the parts to my office. Back then that was the only way I could afford those cars.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-04-2018, 09:50 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: los alto, california
Posts: 133
Rep Power: 10
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Agreed !!! We can afford to drive a nice car, but we can't afford to finance a repair - Money Pit Movie, but the house is appreciated !!! LOL .. Car is not ... Find the best friend your local mechanic --- Yes, I have Best Friend mechanic guy from BMW, and Porsche local dealers. Get parts through employee discount and they do the work at home for a fraction of cost.
40K service for my Cayenne and Pan estimated $1500. DIY, Save $$$. So Porsche can maintain the record for warranty work. Porsche has a GREAT products I have to say. Our Cayenne and Pan are good so far. Cayenne had Brake Master booster issue - replaced under warranty. Pan had door switches and some rubber trim issues - replaced under warranty. Otherwise these works will cost me $$$. BMW and MB are not my favorite.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-05-2018, 08:53 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Louisiana
Age: 47
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 0
vomitcomet is an unknown quantity at this point
Made a call on the extended warranty through Endurance; 4-yrs covering all but normal wear and tear ran $4k-$6k. My neighbor races Porsches and has a good mechanic that I can switch to when the CPO ends...of course, that's the same neighbor saying to sell my car before the warranty is out!

I've had two recurring issues: my front parking sensors activate nearly every time I come to a stop and the PCCB's have started "groaning" on a hard wheel lock when parking. Dealer thinks the sensors are being activated by the frequency emitted from the brakes and have insulated the sensor wiring; that worked for two weeks...they have it again to try and sort out. They're at a loss on the groaning. Other than that, I'm starting to get some age/mileage issues; air suspension, front suspension wear...but, that's all been replaced now, and some general electronic gremlins are starting to pop up; seat ventilation, sport button, soft close doors, window shades will have days where they will operate only to turn off (or disable) immediately. As you can imagine, the car is not inclined to exhibit this while at the dealer!

Like DougCayenne mentioned, I don't want to have a money pit...been there. My previous Porsche's were rock solid (Carrera, Panamera) but I sold them before I ever hit this kind of mileage. Leaning towards finding a very low mile '16 if I can find what I like (I've been spoiled with this one). Thanks for all the feedback, guys!!
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-06-2018, 10:33 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Des Moines
Age: 43
Posts: 43
Rep Power: 12
Paul Rathjen has much to be proud ofPaul Rathjen has much to be proud ofPaul Rathjen has much to be proud ofPaul Rathjen has much to be proud ofPaul Rathjen has much to be proud ofPaul Rathjen has much to be proud ofPaul Rathjen has much to be proud ofPaul Rathjen has much to be proud of
If you want to get a newer car, by all means, but if you are simply worried about the warranty, the chances of repair costs being more than the price difference in purchasing a newer cars are slim to non.

2013 to a 2016 GTS. That has to be about $15,000 more than your car is worth right? What are the chances that you're going to have $15,000 in repairs? You'd be better off putting $15,000 in the bank, keeping it for a couple years, and if you don't have any more issues, you will have $15,000 to put down on a 2017!

I think you will miss the power of the Turbo, but if your current car isn't completely loaded with PASM, PDCC, PTV, and the GTS is, you might really like the GTS as an overall driver. I would probably keep the ceramic rotors......those are worth something on the open market and I wonder if you could retrofit those on to the GTS.
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-07-2018, 09:52 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Louisiana
Age: 47
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 0
vomitcomet is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen View Post
If you want to get a newer car, by all means, but if you are simply worried about the warranty, the chances of repair costs being more than the price difference in purchasing a newer cars are slim to non.

2013 to a 2016 GTS. That has to be about $15,000 more than your car is worth right? What are the chances that you're going to have $15,000 in repairs? You'd be better off putting $15,000 in the bank, keeping it for a couple years, and if you don't have any more issues, you will have $15,000 to put down on a 2017!

I think you will miss the power of the Turbo, but if your current car isn't completely loaded with PASM, PDCC, PTV, and the GTS is, you might really like the GTS as an overall driver. I would probably keep the ceramic rotors......those are worth something on the open market and I wonder if you could retrofit those on to the GTS.
$15,000-$20,000 is what I was thinking. It's had two sets of repairs in the last year that would have hit that mark together...Of course, if it was out of warranty that work would have gone to a mechanic other than the dealer for a lower cost. Also, if I was footing the bill, I never would have spent the money chasing down the craziness with the front parking sensors (I would have just disconnected them). All else aside though, I'm going on four years with it and the engine still seems as rock solid as ever...I do worry about missing the turbo.

It is completely loaded; besides the PCCBs, it has PASM, PDCC, PTV, Sport Chrono Plus, and Sport Exhaust. I like the idea of keeping it and I plan on stretching it out until a couple of months before the CPO ends if I do sell it. I have learned that it's worth somewhat more if Porsche can still put the CPO on it; if even for a few months. Keeping the $$ towards another in the future makes great sense, just wondering on decrease in value over that same timeframe...
 
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-07-2018, 10:41 AM
orangeokie's Avatar
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Oklahoma
Age: 66
Posts: 145
Rep Power: 0
orangeokie is an unknown quantity at this point
vc . . . there is definitely a market for your car with that mileage, so selling it would not be hard to do at all. I am so enamored with my 2012 Turbo that I plan to keep it till I die. Not sure how long that will be, (kids are already jockeying for position in the will,) but it is rock solid and there is nothing out there on the market that comes close to the performance, comfort, and thrill of driving this beast. It is always a head turner, and 100% reliable. It is quite exclusive, because whenever I am out driving I don't see too many of them, and when you do see another, you take note. My wife's car is a 2016 Audi A7 TDI, and I feel the same way about it. We are "set" for autos during our twilight years. Ageless styling and performance.
 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-07-2018, 11:27 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Des Moines
Age: 43
Posts: 43
Rep Power: 12
Paul Rathjen has much to be proud ofPaul Rathjen has much to be proud ofPaul Rathjen has much to be proud ofPaul Rathjen has much to be proud ofPaul Rathjen has much to be proud ofPaul Rathjen has much to be proud ofPaul Rathjen has much to be proud ofPaul Rathjen has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by vomitcomet View Post
$15,000-$20,000 is what I was thinking. It's had two sets of repairs in the last year that would have hit that mark together...Of course, if it was out of warranty that work would have gone to a mechanic other than the dealer for a lower cost. Also, if I was footing the bill, I never would have spent the money chasing down the craziness with the front parking sensors (I would have just disconnected them). All else aside though, I'm going on four years with it and the engine still seems as rock solid as ever...I do worry about missing the turbo.

It is completely loaded; besides the PCCBs, it has PASM, PDCC, PTV, Sport Chrono Plus, and Sport Exhaust. I like the idea of keeping it and I plan on stretching it out until a couple of months before the CPO ends if I do sell it. I have learned that it's worth somewhat more if Porsche can still put the CPO on it; if even for a few months. Keeping the $$ towards another in the future makes great sense, just wondering on decrease in value over that same timeframe...
My guess is you would lose less keeping your current car as its already lost its biggest amount of depreciation, that you would over the next couple years on a 2015 GTS that is still probably losing its first chunk of depreciation. Or they'd end up being about the same. Even with 100,000 miles on your Turbo, if its in good maintained condition, its still going to be worth $30,000 in a couple years.
 
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-07-2018, 04:13 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Short Hills NJ
Posts: 396
Rep Power: 29
RDS993 is a name known to allRDS993 is a name known to allRDS993 is a name known to allRDS993 is a name known to allRDS993 is a name known to allRDS993 is a name known to all
You will miss the power- dont do it!
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-13-2018, 07:17 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Louisiana
Age: 47
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 0
vomitcomet is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by RDS993 View Post
You will miss the power- dont do it!
That's my big fear in dropping to the GTS...
 
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-13-2018, 07:20 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Louisiana
Age: 47
Posts: 11
Rep Power: 0
vomitcomet is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by orangeokie View Post
vc . . . there is definitely a market for your car with that mileage, so selling it would not be hard to do at all. I am so enamored with my 2012 Turbo that I plan to keep it till I die. Not sure how long that will be, (kids are already jockeying for position in the will,) but it is rock solid and there is nothing out there on the market that comes close to the performance, comfort, and thrill of driving this beast. It is always a head turner, and 100% reliable. It is quite exclusive, because whenever I am out driving I don't see too many of them, and when you do see another, you take note. My wife's car is a 2016 Audi A7 TDI, and I feel the same way about it. We are "set" for autos during our twilight years. Ageless styling and performance.
That's a great pair of cars you both have! I feel the same about mine and still love its looks. Hopefully, your kids will have to wait a VERY long time to collect it from you!
 
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Keep Panamera Turbo S or switch to GTS


Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.