Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Panamera Upper Control Arm Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 02:46 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
When you remove airlines you should have stands or any other means that will prevent car from slamming down on shocks All the way. I used wood blocks of 4x4 with rubber jack stop (to fit into Jack stand locations), so the car is lower than normal Haight but not fully slammed. This way after you put everything together car will be sitting on blocks until compressor pumps up lines and lifts the car off these wooden blocks. If you sit the car up too high the car will be stuck on the blocks after compressor kicks in..not what you want.

So yes, support car, remove air lines, let car rest in low height but on supports, not on shocks (doing so may damage shocks internally).
After you replace repair everything....shoukd be mentioned in the threead, when i had new shock installed, i used compressed airbto gently inflate shock then quickly attach hose and tighten, to put air pressure into lines...helps car be more supported before compressor kicks in.

Hope this answers your questions.

Originally Posted by Spiky4ever
So glad I found this thread. I was planning to replace the entire front suspension parts after I bought a used 2013 Panamera GTS, that clunks and squeaks over bumps. I Bought Upper/Lower Control Arm Kits, Sway Bar Bushings/Links, and even the Torque Engine Mount (Passenger side top right).

My question to the OP: when you take the airline off the air strut, some air escapes as I can hear the hissing sound. Do we have to refill the air strut somehow before we install the airline/sensors etc back? I have researched but I couldn't find a definitive answer. I have replaced everything and the GTS is on the lift right now. I would like to confirm on this before I lower down my car as I do not want to crush the shocks. The repair manual said "Bleed the air strut", which I did not do.

Thank You very much!

Old 02-14-2024, 05:40 PM
Spiky4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ciaka
When you remove airlines you should have stands or any other means that will prevent car from slamming down on shocks All the way. I used wood blocks of 4x4 with rubber jack stop (to fit into Jack stand locations), so the car is lower than normal Haight but not fully slammed. This way after you put everything together car will be sitting on blocks until compressor pumps up lines and lifts the car off these wooden blocks. If you sit the car up too high the car will be stuck on the blocks after compressor kicks in..not what you want.

So yes, support car, remove air lines, let car rest in low height but on supports, not on shocks (doing so may damage shocks internally).
After you replace repair everything....shoukd be mentioned in the threead, when i had new shock installed, i used compressed airbto gently inflate shock then quickly attach hose and tighten, to put air pressure into lines...helps car be more supported before compressor kicks in.

Hope this answers your questions.
Thank You Ciaka. For my GTS, the previous owner had the entire Air Suspension System (including both Air Springs/Shocks, Solenoids Vavles and Compressors/Rely etc.) replaced by an independent shop so I only need to replace the upper/lower control arms.

To make sure I understand this correctly. Even with both airlines off, the system still holds some pressure inside the air tank I assume?

At the moment my car is resting on Quickjacks. When I turned the ignition, the system showed "Chasis System Fault". I think this could be due to the level sensor being at the highest position (car on jack)? To replicate the procedure mentioned by you, could I just lower the jack until the 4 wheels touch the floor to give some load to the suspension (but not fully touch the floor so that there is some sort of support to the body)? Then if I turn on the ignition, the compressor will kick in and inflate both front air shocks in a bit of time?

Old 02-15-2024, 08:48 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
If you remove sir lines. Suspension will droressutize. Your car will slam onto shocks, may damage internals of shocks die to weight.
So always support but at a very low height.
if car low, sendors woll detect and you will have a code. If code is residual, compressor will not turn on until its cleared with a piwis2 etc.
If youre replacing upper arms, youll have to remove shocks which means youll be fisconnecting air lines, etc then remiving shocks to get to upper atm bolts in engine bay.
careful, plastic easy to break. Sensirs, lines, lic. Good luck sir.

Originally Posted by Spiky4ever
Thank You Ciaka. For my GTS, the previous owner had the entire Air Suspension System (including both Air Springs/Shocks, Solenoids Vavles and Compressors/Rely etc.) replaced by an independent shop so I only need to replace the upper/lower control arms.

To make sure I understand this correctly. Even with both airlines off, the system still holds some pressure inside the air tank I assume?

At the moment my car is resting on Quickjacks. When I turned the ignition, the system showed "Chasis System Fault". I think this could be due to the level sensor being at the highest position (car on jack)? To replicate the procedure mentioned by you, could I just lower the jack until the 4 wheels touch the floor to give some load to the suspension (but not fully touch the floor so that there is some sort of support to the body)? Then if I turn on the ignition, the compressor will kick in and inflate both front air shocks in a bit of time?