Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM flucturating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 10:32 PM
mitcho168 is on a distinguished road
mine does well does anyone know the fix to it?

Old 01-29-2019, 09:25 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
saw some flatulating needle threads on one of these forums. someone asked dealer, who said its normal. search may yield more details on renntech, rennlist, 6speedonline.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:39 PM
ez1973 will become famous soon enoughez1973 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ciaka
saw some flatulating needle threads on one of these forums. someone asked dealer, who said its normal. search may yield more details on renntech, rennlist, 6speedonline.
That Stinks!

Old 01-29-2019, 09:42 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ez1973

That Stinks!

Old 01-31-2019, 04:24 PM
P.Viby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ciaka
i am afraid Porsche just say it is normal. That is also easiest and cheapest for them. But let us see. One thing is for sure - it has not always been there, so it is not that normal and it is ****annoying to look at. A car with this price tag you should not look at this as being "normal"

Will keep you updated, and again all inputs are welcome.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:58 PM
LGARCIA will become famous soon enough
I’ve heard others fixed it by cleaning the throttle body. Sea foam is the name of the product used to clean it.
I have not had this issue...so far. I’m at 56K miles.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:50 AM
I have always heard of seafoam, but never bothered to learn how to use it. Anyone cares to educate me? You buy it in a can from wallyworld, then what? How much, where, for how long, what after that. Those sorts of questions. If you can demo on panamera with words, maybe a pic, would be awesome diy article. Thank you.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:06 AM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
If this fluctuation is happening during steady state driving, the transmission clutch should be fully engaged so there is no opportunity for the RPM to jump. My guess is some electrical interference with the tachometer circuit (poor ground?) or the tachometer is going bad. I would find the ground wire for the cluster and tighten the ground connection. Will be $$$ to replace the cluster and not worth it.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:06 AM
I am not 100% that this does not come from the engine. Specially since there are no needle jumping at idle, and since it it most significant when driving slightly uphill with the same speed.
Throttle and injector cleaning is something that I could try. But there must be others who had the same issue and got it fixed.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:59 AM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
If you drop down a gear or two when it starts fluctuating then hold the speed steady does the problem go away? If it stays steady then could it be that the PDK software starts to shift then aborts the gear change instantly. It’s hard to imagine the PDK would malfunction like this but it’s observed only on hills so maybe the PDK, control module or some electrical inputs to the module are the issue.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:53 PM
blackduc238 is on a distinguished road
Completely different vehicle, but I had a similar issue with my motorhome years ago. RPM would bounce (more than you're seeing) but there was no change in the actual engine rpm. Ended up the alternator was going.
You might want to try getting a odbc reader that has real time stats and see what its reporting on the rpm, see if its steady and and confirm its not a motor issue

Old 02-16-2019, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by blackduc238
Completely different vehicle, but I had a similar issue with my motorhome years ago. RPM would bounce (more than you're seeing) but there was no change in the actual engine rpm. Ended up the alternator was going.
You might want to try getting a odbc reader that has real time stats and see what its reporting on the rpm, see if its steady and and confirm its not a motor issue
Tre problem with a tester is that you don't know the how often it reads the data (sample frequency). I am starting to get convinced this either comes from the engine itself or it could be a PDK computer problem. It feels and looks like if the PDK slips a little bit every 2 seconds.

Old 11-17-2019, 12:20 PM
matteo.s is an unknown quantity at this point
Can you update this please, what happend, did you find a solution ? Maybe a PDK recalibration could help.

Old 11-17-2019, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by matteo.s
Can you update this please, what happend, did you find a solution ? Maybe a PDK recalibration could help.
Sorry for the late update. After some time of investigating the problem from Porsche - They reloaded new software to the PDK system and made a recalibration of the PDK transmission.

For now it seems to have solved the problem.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:05 PM
NormalFellow will become famous soon enough
Guys!!! I can help out here BIG time and get that idling down perfect! 1) Check your Air-oil Seperator - if you got a decent amount of miles on your 970, over 45k miles, check to see if you have a tear in the diaghram. Most of the bad idling comes from this, and or the leaking O-rings that connect the tubes to the unit. Change out the entire Air Oil seperator... there are no diaghrams sold seperately and Ive also already tried the Cayenne turbo ones with no luck, so thought id save you guys some time and money there, haha 2) Gunked Up Direct Injection Valves - do a CRC intake valve cleaning at each oil change... rough idling comes from this as well. 3) Dirty Map Sensor- particularly if you are using a BMS or any type of high-flow filter. The oils in the filter element can also cause the map sensor to not be as effective.... Clean with CRC MAP Sensor cleaner. 4) Throttle Body plate - if you havent cleaned your throttle body yet, this is another place in Panameras that cause bad idling 5) Spark Plug Gasket Seal - if you have a bad gasket here, you'll get blow by from the pcv system. Change out valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals. 6) Clog PCV or leaking vacuum system - clean out PCV system with intake valve cleaner

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RPM flucturating