Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM flucturating

Old 01-24-2019, 07:40 AM
P.Viby is on a distinguished road
RPM flucturating

Hi Guys.

Need a little help here.

On my 970GTS the RPM needle or engine seems to flucturate 100-200 rpm all the time. It is most significant when for example driving with 2000 RPM on straigt road or slightly uphill. Then the needle will jump to 2150 RPM every 2 second.
I am not sure if it is the instrument cluster or actually the engine RPM that jumps up and down - but it is for sure annoying to look at.

Take a quick look at the short video attached :-/

Anyone seen this before or have any good suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files
File Type: avi
P970GTS.avi (429.0 KB, 304 views)
Old 01-24-2019, 07:53 AM
AluminumMistress is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure if it’s because I’m on my phone but can’t seem to view the vid.

I don’t see my tach needle jump but one of the first things I noticed (esp after coming from a few BMW’s) was that the Panamera idles rough. I even asked the dealer about it but they said it was normal.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:10 AM
I know the Porsche cars can run a little bit rough in idle. But this is most significant when actually driving the car.
The attachment is in .avi format. For some reason the bulletin board does not accept .MP4.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:59 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
I think I recall the same on my 970. Never turned out to be an issue. I would assume if it was a real time fluctuation that mattered you would get a code or check engine light.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by cerbomark
I think I recall the same on my 970. Never turned out to be an issue. I would assume if it was a real time fluctuation that mattered you would get a code or check engine light.
You might be right - but it has not been there all the time. It can't be right that you have to look at this needle jumping up and down all the time.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:37 PM
Please let me hear more inputs to this.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:15 AM
turbo_mikePTT will become famous soon enough
How many miles on the car? Is it up to date on services? Could be ignition, gas.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:20 AM
Hi,
The car has only 68.000 kilometers on it. I always use Shell VPower. Car is fully up to date with everything.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:18 AM
tastefulmod is an unknown quantity at this point
my '11 970 v6 does the same thing. It very rarely does it when its cold outside. It is most noticeable during the summer months.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by tastefulmod
my '11 970 v6 does the same thing. It very rarely does it when its cold outside. It is most noticeable during the summer months.
But it can't be right - a car at this price -, you have to accept looking at this needle jumping 😕😕
If it come and goes with the outside temperature - it is most likely not the instrument cluster that is faulty. but I haven't been able to relate it to anything yet. Only it is not there at idle RPM, and most significant around 1800+ RPM driving slightly uphill.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:26 AM
NormalFellow will become famous soon enough
So I had something very similar to you and it bugged the hell out of me! You gotta try this out and i know it seems crazy at first but it really works and I think It might actually work for you too... Liquimoly MOS2 Oil Addiditive... For the panamera v8's, you'll need 1.5 bottles and you simply add it into your existing engine oil... It just smoothens out the entire engine, compketely taking away that rpm jumping. Look up the reviews on it and you'll be oretty amazed... let me know if you try it out.

Old 01-27-2019, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by Alex Keleman
So I had something very similar to you and it bugged the hell out of me! You gotta try this out and i know it seems crazy at first but it really works and I think It might actually work for you too... Liquimoly MOS2 Oil Addiditive... For the panamera v8's, you'll need 1.5 bottles and you simply add it into your existing engine oil... It just smoothens out the entire engine, compketely taking away that rpm jumping. Look up the reviews on it and you'll be oretty amazed... let me know if you try it out.
So you suggest it is the actual engine jumping up and down in RPM.
I will need to check with Porsche what they say about it. Adding this additive has to be approved by them as long as I still have Porsche insurence on the car.

Would be great to hear from other people who experienced the same and might have a fix for it.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:32 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Sorry to hear your needle flatulates. They do it now and again.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:59 PM
Any other who have seen this or know what it is and how it can be fixed?

Old 01-28-2019, 09:24 PM
mitcho168 is on a distinguished road
i have a 2011 panamera turbo and i have issue when driving cruising on freeway or normal speeds the rpm guages jumps very slightly as well but feels like the car runs strong etc

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RPM flucturating