Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Coating and Clear Paint Protection Film

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 08:23 PM
orangeblood18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ceramic Coating and Clear Paint Protection Film

I know there is a detailing forum but looks like not many people are active over there. Plus I want to talk with my Panamera family.... Has anyone ceramic coated there car? I am trying to decide if spending $2,000 for this service is worth it or stay old school using Meguiar's glazing compound, finishing polish, and synthetic sealant. I know it is a big investment but have seen some of the benefits doing research online. It looks like a applying a good quality ceramic coating applied correctly makes keeping the car clean pretty easy. Don't just have $2,000 lying around to blow but would be willing to invest if it is worth it. Thoughts and opinions?

Also, has anyone installed the clear paint protection film on the front end of there car? The detailing shop recommends applying it to the front valance, fenders, hood, pillars, and mirrors. Cost would be around $1,600. Thoughts and opinions?

Thank you.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:48 PM
Small Car Lover will become famous soon enough
I have both front end PPF and ceramic on three of my vehicles. The PPF is an excellent investment. I have installed PPF myself on several cars and had professional installation on two cars. PPF is without question the most effective paint protection. Ceramic coating is a little less straightforward decision. I had a hard time accepting the cost of professionally installed ceramic. I decided to learn ceramic application. A professional multi layer ceramic coating does in fact keep the car cleaner longer and may provide some light swirl protection. It does absolutely nothing to protect from paint chips. It can also provide a very deep gloss.

If your primary concern is paint protection, don't spend the $2k on ceramic. Put that toward applying PPF on the entire car. You can apply ceramic on top of PPF to gain that advantage if cost is not a factor. For a DIY person who is willing to learn proper prep and application of ceramic coatings, it can be a excellent alternative to sealant. Professional grade multi layer ceramic coating product can be had for a couple hundred dollars. You will have to spend considerable time and effort prepping the paint for application. Then the application of a pro coating is a little tricky and can be physically hard work. The $2k for a pro install of ceramic is mostly for the labor. It's a significant job to do it correctly. I have applied 4 different pro grade ceramics to 4 different vehicles. It boils down to the more durable the coating, the more effort is required for the application and removal.

Your objectives and budget should decide what path you take.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:49 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
My car came with the PF on the front of the car, about half way up the hood, you can clearly see it's done it job, there are stone chips on the hood beyond it, I think it is a very good investment.

I ceramic coated my car myself, I love the stuff, really helps keep the car clean and makes any cleaning much easier and quicker. If I had to have someone do the work and had to choose between the two I would go with the PF first.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:41 AM
LGARCIA will become famous soon enough
I had paint correction done on the whole car, then the car was ceramic coated. After that then PPF for the entire front (full hood, bumper, lights, mirrors, fenders). Once the PPF was set a layer of ceramic coating was applied on top.
Washing the car is a breeze nothing really sticks to the paint or the PPF, pressure washer, then foam cannon, then pressure washer and leaf blower. The price you were quoted is about what I paid. I have driven a good 17K miles and the PPF is holding up really well, this was done about 2 years ago.

The way it shines is still vibrant

The wheels I ceramic coated myself before install

Last edited by LGARCIA; 03-09-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:24 PM
SRQ-Porsche is an unknown quantity at this point
Above has been basically my experience as well. I have not attempted a DIY but I may on my next vehicle. To me, ceramic helps maintain a shine and makes it easier to clean. PPF protects the paint from chips and scuffs. PPF is somewhat a sacrificial layer as if stuff is kicked up, the PPF will take the hit and may show some damage. Over time, you may want to replace the PPF - but it does it's job well and the pain under it is protected. Ideally, both just like LGARCIA did would, in my opinion, be the ultimate way to go.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:13 AM
elShiz is on a distinguished road
Not sure I can add much more to what's already been said, but here's a tidbit; with PPF there isn't much of a "push" to get a full blown 1 or 2 step polish ie swirls, hazing etc, before it's applied because the film will more or less "mask" any of these common clear coat issues. Obviously chips are different, I'm strictly discussing the lack of shine present in your clear coat.

However with ceramic it's almost always recommend to have your car thoroughly detailed/corrected, to remove as much of the clear coat issues as possible. Otherwise you're adding a sealant over your existing imperfections which will still be visible, and would also require your $2k ceramic application to be removed in order to correct said pre-existing clear coat issues.

As others have said, you can 100% learn how to apply ceramic and if you get PPF, you can apply a high quality consumer level ceramic coating over top yourself, which would be the best way to go.

Old 03-13-2020, 11:22 AM
1Goodguy02 is on a distinguished road
I had PPF on the entire front hood, fenders, bumper, and mirrors on both my 991 and my 971...best move ever. Expensive but keeps the paint free from chips and the car looking near new.