Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM 3.1 Maps/NAVI not loading

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 06:07 PM
HP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the rough
PCM 3.1 Maps/NAVI not loading

On a recent trip the NAVI and map functions stoped working on my '14 4S. The scan when trying to access those two functions would hang saying "Loading Maps". You could get to other screens and functions normally by pressing the appropriate button,

All other functions including the jukebox work correctly.

After reading on other forums (especially from GB) -- it appears the hard disk drive in the PCM has issues.

To remove the air vents to access the PCM -- you need to make a couple of special puller tools from metal coat hanger rod. They look like this ...

I followed the procedure as outlined here. http://www.insanegarage.com/diy-air-...sche-panamera/

I partially removed the PCM (pulled from dash but did not disconnect any cables) in order to access the HDD located on the top of the PCM. Couple of T8 screws to remove the access hatch.

The drive is a standard 100GB Toshiba 2.5" HDD. I "cloned" the drive to a new 128GB SSD using ddrescue. During the cloning process I found several bad sectors. I believe these are keeping the drive from mounting properly.

Technical Info:
Found the drive to be partitioned for use by QNX OS (a type of linux OS). There are 4 partitions --- 2 small, 1 50GB that contains the maps, and 1 40GB (formatted for DOS) that contains the Jukebox files.
I was able to mount and access the maps partition with no problem and view the files using a VM instance of QNX. The two smaller partitions had the sector errors -- I was unable to read/correct the errors - so I will need more tools to go forward.

I have an order in for the PCM 3.1 DVD update disk (on backorder) - it appears it is has been that way for several months from Porsche. It is not expensive but I cannot find a copy anywhere. From some info I have gathered, it is appears this disk will "rebuild" the HDD if needed. (I will update thread if/when I get the disk with results)

I put the new SSD in the car - and everything is back like it was when I started (no NAVI/maps but Jukebox is fine). I kept the original HDD as a master backup for now.

Chuck

Old 03-11-2020, 03:18 PM
stealthn is on a distinguished road
Interesting, specially QNX (Blackberry)

Old 03-18-2020, 05:43 PM
HP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the roughHP41 is a jewel in the rough
added screenshot of QNX partitions.