Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic coating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 06:08 PM
Gambler is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Ceramic coating

I just bought a Panamera black. This is my daily driving car. Any one done ceramic coating? is it worth it? thinking to do one however it's expensive, around 2K.

Old 10-31-2020, 02:55 PM
Registered PM
Mozella is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gambler
I just bought a Panamera black. This is my daily driving car. Any one done ceramic coating? is it worth it? thinking to do one however it's expensive, around 2K.
Expensive? Not at all. I coated my 2013 Panamera (white) with Adams Graphene using the kit which includes a small 60ml bottle (not their spray Graphine), two applicators, two plush microfiber towels, a bottle of "booster" coating to be used every 6 or 8 months, and a pretty cool UV light. It cost $109.00
The bottle looks too small, but you don't use much and I have half a bottle left over, plenty for my upcoming 2021 Cayman.

The application is nearly idiot proof if you follow the directions and watch a video or two. Pan the Organizer has a good one.

Prep is important. You need to VERY thoroughly wash your car using a 'stripper" detergent then perform a clay bar routine. My paint was in excellent condition so I had only to remove swirls in one or two areas and I touched up a couple of scratches with a small bottle of touch up paint matching my paint code. All this is easy and not very expensive; however, it will take a couple of hours of your time. The routine is well covered in how-to videos on YouTube.

Since your car is black and you use it as a daily driver, your paint may not be in great shape, so a minor paint correction might be appropriate. Realize that the ceramic coating will do nothing to hide any defects and you don't want to lock in paint problems. If you don't know how to correct paint, that process is again simple but it will require spending $120 or so on a random orbit polisher (no need to spend more) and another fifty bucks or so on a couple of pads and some compound. There are many options for pad type and compound but again, the art of correcting paint is very well covered on the Internet. I like Chemical Guys for compounds and Lake Country pads from Autogeek.com, but they're sold by many outlets. Remember, while some paint correction experts are no doubt brilliant especially the ones making good how-to-videos, many guys doing this job are mouth breathers. Unless you're trying to make a show winning car, you can easily do paint correction yourself even if you have zero experience. Modern polishers, foam pads, and compounds make the job nearly idiot proof. By the way, if you own a black car, you should own some paint correction equipment anyway even if you decide not to apply a ceramic coating.

Next it's time to clean any residue left over from correcting the paint, perform a careful wipe down with isopropyl alcohol. Once your car is absolutely clean and perfect, it's time to apply the coating, working in a 2x2 foot or 3x3 foot area using only a few drops of material on your applicator. You can check your work with the UV flashlight because the Graphene coating has a UV tracer and you can see it glowing under the light. If you have a holiday, now is the time to correct it. Wait about two minutes, depending on the temperature, and wipe the area with your new plush microfiber cloth. Move on the the next area, checking coverage with the UV flashlight, wipe off, and so-on until your finished. Then just let it remain dry for 48 hours or so (if I remember correctly).

Plan half a day for cleaning and another half day for final wipe-down and material application, assuming you have a garage to keep the car overnight. It needs to be dry before you coat it.

The result on my car is fantastic. My car now seems to repel dirt. I can drive it, even in the rain, and bring it home looking nearly clean. Only the rear end around the license plate recess and the rocker panels collect any dirt at all. So far I've washed it half a dozen times using a "touchless" routine where I use my high pressure washer to rinse the car. Then I hit it with a snow foam cannon, let that sit for a few minutes, and blast it off with my high pressure washer. Then I blow it dry with an electric leaf blower. I wipe down the door jams and clean up any left over water drops behind the windshield wipers, for example, and I'm done. I would guess I'll be able to to a couple more "touchless" washes before the need to perform a genuine two-bucket wash.

Bottom line: Paying two grand to do something like replace a timing belt (yeah I know we have chains) is not unreasonable. Jobs like this nearly always require some specialized tools and knowledge. If you're not a serious "wrench guy", better pay for a job changing the timing belt. I've done it on several cars and I know enough about it to realize that there are plenty of ways to screw it up. The same goes for fixing a serious dent in a fender and repainting. It requires special tools, some knowledge, and plenty of experience to do it right.

But cleaning a car, buffing out minor scratches, and evenly applying a ceramic coating is dead simple even if it is a little bit tedious. If you don't have to correct the paint, you can do two cars for just over a hundred bucks and little bit of your time. It's not difficult and might even be considered therapeutic. It's good to get in touch with your car from time to time.

Old 10-31-2020, 05:55 PM
What a nice detail reply. Many thanks, Mozella. I think this will help any one who might be interested in ceramic coating, it can't be better than this.

Last edited by Gambler; 10-31-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:02 AM
RDR142 is on a distinguished road
Do it. Especially having a black car, you will appreciate how much easier it is to maintain.

I've done a car with ceramic pro and one with Adam's graphine and have to say the Graphine is the way to go. I could tell a noticeable difference between the two. Prep is key to good results. Paint correction prior to applying coating is well worth the money if you don't do it yourself.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:53 PM
Thanks RDR 142 ... I would listen and do it.

Old 11-04-2020, 06:43 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I did ceramic coating on my black PTT. I think worth very much. They put 5 layers I think. Now, All I do is wash with dish soap (removes any waxes), and rinse, nothing sticks to it. Easier to keep clean.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:41 PM
turbo_mikePTT will become famous soon enough
I use the McGuires ceramic spray on my Mercedes and it works very well, look at the reviews/test on YouTube definitely the easiest to apply and works very well.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:12 AM
thx Turbo- Mike. I looked at it, agree.

Old 11-10-2020, 03:28 PM
onemanclique is on a distinguished road
+1 on coating especially if you have black. Dust just blows right off making it that much easier to maintain a clean stealth look. if you dont go down the DIY path i think you can probably find a shop to do it for less than 2k. I paid around $900 for opticoat pro for reference.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:31 AM
Thank you all for the advices. I did it my self using Turtle hybrid ceramic wax. I placed one coat and the car looks great. Before I did it, I watched several videos on youtube. Initially, the car showed some streaks, I waited several hours and went over the entire car, with a dry microfiber cloth and the streaks are almost gone (still some there though). For now I'm happy with the outcome. Meanwhile; I'm not sure if I would need another coat, as some of YouTube are recommending 2 coats. The other option is to wait after this winter.

Last edited by Gambler; 11-12-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-13-2020, 02:00 PM
Registered PM
Mozella is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for the advices. I did it my self using Turtle hybrid ceramic wax............. snip.....................
That's not the same thing as a ceramic coating. If it were, professionals would charge fifty bucks for a ceramic coating rather than the price of two grand you were quoted.

Old 11-13-2020, 02:17 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
LOL.
Yes, ceramic coating a whole different ball of wax, than turtle wax. lol

Originally Posted by Mozella
That's not the same thing as a ceramic coating. If it were, professionals would charge fifty bucks for a ceramic coating rather than the price of two grand you were quoted.

Old 11-13-2020, 05:35 PM
LOL yep I'm being cheap here.

Old 11-13-2020, 06:51 PM
shrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud ofshrike071 has much to be proud of
I used the TW Ceramic wax and it looked beautiful for a month or so. It does not last any longer than any other wax. I'll be getting mine coated.

Old 11-14-2020, 02:35 PM
stealthn is on a distinguished road
Do it!

I lucked into mine, it needed a paint correction bad when I got it so I took it into a local Lambo shop that works on Porsche’s too. When I got there the service manager said they were getting a demo of a new ceramic coating and asked if I wanted my car to be the demo car and I would get it for free...he’ll yeah!

mine’s black too and other than a wrap, it’s well worth it.