Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Old Tech (I guess)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 03:17 PM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Old Tech (I guess)

So they finally dropped her off the other day. When I first went to look at her, I was more concerned with engine noise, strut and vacuum leaks then looking in all the nooks and crannies. So sitting in her trying to understand this radio/a.c. unit that's getting replaced in a few weeks and start looking around, and find this.... Passport SXR. From my understanding use to be a nice radar detector back in the day. It still works too.
I kinda tore the cover off before I decided to take this picture. Just need some goo gone to get that residue off.
Don't know what that thing on the right is.
All this stuff still works too. I just don't like this type of aftermarket install. But I guess this is all that was available back then.

Last edited by TeamJones1962; 03-04-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:19 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Since the right looks like an Alpine remote maybe for some type of more advanced navigation system in the prehistoric one in the Bentley.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:03 PM
TeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud ofTeamJones1962 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by stevenrmusic
Since the right looks like an Alpine remote maybe for some type of more advanced navigation system in the prehistoric one in the Bentley.
ahhhh....it does have that Alpine look to it. Well the next time I have some time off I will be gutting it all.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:40 AM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TeamJones1962
ahhhh....it does have that Alpine look to it. Well the next time I have some time off I will be gutting it all.
I just purchased a 2005 and found similar after market stuff which I am busy removing. I am working on it right now, so my info is not complete. I too have the Parrot unit. It is a telephone hands free device that is paired with the user's phone, then interrupts the radio and uses the car's speakers. The unit I have is the CK3100. I found the install manual online and I am trying to follow it to deinstall. Be careful just unplugging the head unit as, when I did, I got a periodic loud distress ring coming from the control box which I've yet to find. I am trying to get to the place where they pulled +12V and I will try that, but I am concerned if the unit uses a pass through to the radio; otherwise, I might lose it in the attempt.

I also found a radar detector. Mine is the Calibre from a company K40 Electronics. This, I'd like to keep as it is a completely integrated system with two remote controls. I'm trying to get those remotes working to see if the system works.

Finally I found a complete Sirius head unit mounted in the same place, in the console ash tray. I've already removed the control box for it that I found behind the knee bolster. Luckily, it did not disrupt the factory radio when I removed the +12v fuse. I have the more arduous task now of getting the head unit out of the ash tray.

Hope any of this helps.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by BWings
I just purchased a 2005 and found similar after market stuff which I am busy removing. I am working on it right now, so my info is not complete. I too have the Parrot unit. It is a telephone hands free device that is paired with the user's phone, then interrupts the radio and uses the car's speakers. The unit I have is the CK3100. I found the install manual online and I am trying to follow it to deinstall. Be careful just unplugging the head unit as, when I did, I got a periodic loud distress ring coming from the control box which I've yet to find. I am trying to get to the place where they pulled +12V and I will try that, but I am concerned if the unit uses a pass through to the radio; otherwise, I might lose it in the attempt.

I also found a radar detector. Mine is the Calibre from a company K40 Electronics. This, I'd like to keep as it is a completely integrated system with two remote controls. I'm trying to get those remotes working to see if the system works.

Finally I found a complete Sirius head unit mounted in the same place, in the console ash tray. I've already removed the control box for it that I found behind the knee bolster. Luckily, it did not disrupt the factory radio when I removed the +12v fuse. I have the more arduous task now of getting the head unit out of the ash tray.

Hope any of this helps.
BWing, did you take any pictures as you were uninstalling some of the stuff? I'm getting my money together to order that Nav-tv BEN H.U.R dash kit with a Kenwood or Alpine unit. I figure that would take care of all my navigation and media needs.
Also thanks for the info you posted.

Last edited by TeamJones1962; 04-08-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:39 PM
BWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud ofBWings has much to be proud of
Hey 1962,

I am still in the beginning throes of it, so not too late, but no, I didn't take any pics. Today, I got the Calibre radar detector remote working (special batteries), then a whole bunch of Sunday Family obligatories, so little forward motion.

What I removed yesterday was the Sirius control box (but not the head unit in the ashtray yet). The control box was located stuffed behind the driver's knee bolster along with a rat's nest of wiring including an inline 12v fuse. I pulled that fuse and unplugged the harness and antennae (two). Then bundled that harness with a cable tie and left it behind the bolster. Factory radio still works fine, so evidently the splice into the factory speakers was unaffected.

I WILL be working the console off (apart) to access the Sirius head unit and the Parrot control box and wiring. As I do this I'll document it for you or PM you. I've asked Johnny (member here that did the Sandy restore) for some start tips on disassembling the console.

I'm not sure what your timeframe is. I might work too slowly for you...retired and all...I'll be in touch.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:53 PM
Take your time. Lol I work alot of hours so I'll be getting around to it when time permits. (Been on 7 days since Oct). I'm going to try to add a few videos to this thread that could hopefully help you out. As an ex installer, I'm comfortable with taking this beast apart lol.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:41 PM
Perfect! Thanks!