Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2009 V8V Roadster vs coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 04:51 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
2009 V8V Roadster vs coupe

Want opinions... the roadster was to replace my Porsche boxster but I found that I really have the boxster set up exactly how i want it (manual gearbox)... and don't want to get rid of it. Wife likes the sport shift gearbox.

may have an opportunity to get similar coupe (few less miles) with sportshift, sports pack, premium audio...

what are your opinions on each? Those with coupes... what do you like best?

also... pricing... seems like roadsters have higher MSRP but selling for for similar or even lower than coupes and there seem to be more of them on market...

never really considered coupe because living in Florida wanted the top down driving... now rethinking...

car is strictly for weekend's and no tracking...i have a BMW for that.

thanks for any opinions

Old 10-21-2017, 12:28 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
I have a 991 911 with a manual and had a 2009 Aston Martin V8 Vantage with the sport shift. I could never get to the point that I enjoyed the sport shift. I did love the car it was a black coupe. The build quality can’t be compared to the Porsche. The Aston is a hand built car where the Porsche is a production car. A very good production. I still have my Porsche but the sportshift Aston has been replaced with a 2008 Aston Martin V8 Vantage with a proper 6spd. manual and I love it. It is becoming one of my favorite cars. I have owned 75 cars and still have 7 of them. Go drive a sportshift Aston and a manual Aston and then make up your own mind. They really are great cars. Be prepared for the attention that they create. Much more than the Porsche and even more than the Ferrari I had.

The black car is the 2009 sportshift and the green car is the 2008 Manual.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	D4F966F1-66F8-45C6-ABE5-6302FCBC36B9.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	514684   Click image for larger version

Name:	128C470E-1F60-413B-A1BA-73F56DFFF263.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	514685  

Last edited by Gene G; 10-21-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:38 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MRCW
Want opinions... the roadster was to replace my Porsche boxster but I found that I really have the boxster set up exactly how i want it (manual gearbox)... and don't want to get rid of it. Wife likes the sport shift gearbox.

may have an opportunity to get similar coupe (few less miles) with sportshift, sports pack, premium audio...

what are your opinions on each? Those with coupes... what do you like best?

also... pricing... seems like roadsters have higher MSRP but selling for for similar or even lower than coupes and there seem to be more of them on market...

never really considered coupe because living in Florida wanted the top down driving... now rethinking...

car is strictly for weekend's and no tracking...i have a BMW for that.

thanks for any opinions
If you like your Boxster, I would keep it. My daughter works as a driving coach at PEC Los Angeles. I have had the chance to drive a few Porsche's in the last year. A GT4 Cayman, Cayman S, 911 Carrera, all sticks, to name a few. I was never a Porsche guy (British or Italian all the way). But I must say the Boxster Cayman, is a very cool car. I love the packaging and the power, gearbox, handling, etc.
The new flat 4 is amazing. Now after all of that, my 2016 Vantage GT coupe, is a much different feeling and driving car. The controls are heavier, as is the car.
My Vantage is a stick, so I can't comment on the sport shift trans.
My point is, if you like the light nimble fell of your Porsche. I would stick with it.
A Vantage with the sport shift in Coupe or convertible is more of a long distance GT. Just to qualify my self, let me say I owned both a Lotus Elise and a Evora. Both purchased new. The Elise we owned for 12 years and the Evora for 5 years ( I sold it to buy my first used Vantag).
I hope this helps.
Ron

Last edited by Ron Avery; 10-21-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:21 PM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
It's all a personal choice. I initially wanted a Vantage coupe but knowing that I would only be driving on sunny days in the summer months in upstate New York, I opted for a 2009 6spd roadster and love it. I drove the sport shift, but much prefer the manual. It's just a lot of fun to drive.
Interestingly, the folks at the factory tell me only 56 roadsters with manual transmission were imported to the U.S in 2009.
Whatever you get, you won't be disappointed.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:16 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Counterpoint - I had a 6 speed - First Vantage 2007, last 4 Vantages (2009 V8 and 2015 V8 as well as 2 V12S all been sportshift - much prefer that over the manual.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:46 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for opinions...! Keep them coming!

I'm going to keep the boxster (its an older 987) and leaning toward swaping roadster for couple. I thinking a coupe can be our date night car and long distance cruiser while the boxster can be our topless fun drive to the beach. Unfortunately wife wants a sport shift ( or rather not a proper gearbox) and she likes to drive it when she can find the keys...

Old 10-21-2017, 06:25 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
I have a 2009 Vantage Coupe Sport Pack with a 6sp manual, in my personal opinion the coupe looks so much better, the line flow a lot nicer... I had a convertible before but my Aston Martin Vantage was always going to be a coupe.... Good luck

Old 10-22-2017, 01:15 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
The roadster is one of the most beautiful roadsters ever made, but the coupe is even more beautiful. I was only interested in a coupe, stick, 4.7. You'll have a lot more options looking for an ASM coupe, and even more for an ASM roadster.

Old 10-22-2017, 04:18 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MRCW
Thanks for opinions...! Keep them coming!

she likes to drive it when she can find the keys...
there is a solution there if you look closely!!!!!

good luck with your search

Graze

Old 10-22-2017, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
The roadster is one of the most beautiful roadsters ever made, but the coupe is even more beautiful. I was only interested in a coupe, stick, 4.7. You'll have a lot more options looking for an ASM coupe, and even more for an ASM roadster.
Agreed. I opted for the roadster because I am just a top down guy but every time I see a coupe, they are just beautiful. From my perspective looking at a Vantage coupe from the outside can't be beat. From the inside looking out on a sunny day, the roadster is my choice. I actually need one of each!

Old 10-22-2017, 06:26 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I get a big kick watching people from afar, ogling, looking close at the badge trying to figure out what it is, glancing a peak inside. I was 100 feet behind a couple in their 20's walking out of Target last night and I could barely hear them talking about it, and then the guy jogs the 4 spaces past his car to look at the badge on the back. I called out "can you get the hatch for me while you're there?" Then the "that's the most beautiful car...." starts. You will get used to it but it takes a bit. My standard reply now is "you have impeccable taste"

Old 10-22-2017, 07:04 PM
Smile The Brady Effect

Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
I get a big kick watching people from afar, ogling, looking close at the badge trying to figure out what it is, glancing a peak inside. I was 100 feet behind a couple in their 20's walking out of Target last night and I could barely hear them talking about it, and then the guy jogs the 4 spaces past his car to look at the badge on the back. I called out "can you get the hatch for me while you're there?" Then the "that's the most beautiful car...." starts. You will get used to it but it takes a bit. My standard reply now is "you have impeccable taste"
I had a slightly different (funny) experience tonight. After coming out of a local mall, a young woman who had just parked saw me approaching my Vantage and asked if it was my car. I said 'Yes' and she then asked if this was the 'brand' that Tom Brady (the Patriots QB) 'sponsored'. I said "Yes" and she asked if she could take a picture of the car. I said 'Yes" and she took a picture my car and left saying "i love Tom Brady". I'm not sure if she even knew -or cared- what kind of car it was.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:01 PM
Senatorblutarsky will become famous soon enoughSenatorblutarsky will become famous soon enough
Jagman is dead on. Coupe is far prettier from the outside. And you won't have to worry about convertible top failure.

But I question the visibility from inside the coupe.

I enjoy the manual transmission. I have never gotten to a point where I am tired of it. I don't think I would enjoy my car nearly as much if it was an automatic.

I have a neighbor who has the same year Vantage as a coupe. He LOVES it, so it's a matter of preference.

Good luck with your search; have fun.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Senatorblutarsky
But I question the visibility from inside the coupe.
I bet I have more visibility in the coupe than a roadster with the top up!

Old 10-23-2017, 04:10 PM
Senatorblutarsky will become famous soon enoughSenatorblutarsky will become famous soon enough
Probably so; I don't really like driving my car with the top up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.