996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Intercooler Inlet Scoops for reduced IATs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 07:36 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Intercooler Inlet Scoops for reduced IATs

I recently had a set of intercooler inlets made by Manthey Racing in Germany. I don't get impressed very easily but these inlets are extremelly nice. The inlet lip is fully formed and blends in perfectly with the existing inlets. Aesthetically they hit it out of the ballpark fitting in perfectly with the lines of the car. I did a quick test fit on the car and the fit and finish is nearly perfect with very minor sanding required before these get submitted the the shop for painting body color. The inlets are made out of 100% carbon fiber and are light as a feather at 4 oz each. Attachment will be via 3M double sided tape. Manthey has tested these in their wind tunnel and achieved a speed dependent 5-10ºC (9-18F) reduction in IATs with these inlets. This is a significant reduction. I will be installing these in the offseason.

Manthey Racing CF inlets:

Old 11-07-2017, 07:41 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
I had a number of guys email me regarding these with more info. Instead of answering multiple emails, here is the info. Manthey makes these on a request basis. These were developed and used on Manthey's 996TT and GT2 race cars. With that said, getting a set is not exactly easy. Due to company regulations, Manthey will not ship to the US and as such you must have them sent somewhere in the EU and then have them sent on to you. As such you will need to pay VAT. All in all, it's a $1400-1500 exercise to get these to the US. Certainly not cheap but they are top notch..

Old 11-08-2017, 02:36 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
H John,
they do look great. Probably i get a pair for myself.

You believe Manthey about the temp drop? Did you see anything, protocols or something?

Old 11-08-2017, 08:41 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Those look great!

Old 11-09-2017, 05:41 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
few month ago.....Patrick Simon at Manthey answer me to this part (1300 Euro), very expensive and no discount ..... i invested in a set big intercoolers , my IAT at every situation low now

Old 11-09-2017, 09:13 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
Which one do you use now? I use the 7GT2 RS ones. They seem to work good so far.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by winnigt2
few month ago.....Patrick Simon at Manthey answer me to this part (1300 Euro), very expensive and no discount ..... i invested in a set big intercoolers , my IAT at every situation low now
I have 4" Marston Aerospace Intercoolers but any additional airflow you can get over the cores will be beneficial no matter what ICs you use. That's an undeniable fact.... You can simply look at the new 991GT2RS where Porsche enlarged the inlets in a similar fashion. Even though they are using some type of a liquid misting system to cool the ICs, they also deemed it beneficial to enlarge the inlet scoops to channel more air over the cores thus further enhancing the ability of the ICs to lower IATs.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 11-09-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:56 PM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I have 4" Marston Aerospace Intercoolers but any additional airflow you can get over the cores will be beneficial no matter what ICs you use. That's an undeniable fact.... You can simply look at the new 991GT2RS where Porsche enlarged the inlets in a similar fashion. Even though they are using some type of a liquid misting system to cool the ICs, they also deemed it beneficial to enlarge the inlet scoops to channel more air over the cores thus further enhancing the ability of the ICs to lower IATs.

at special situations maybe you only win a little power and loose a lot of aerodynamic / at the end same time at the strip

if you didn`t pay a lot it is okay to do it...

Old 11-10-2017, 05:11 AM
Originally Posted by winnigt2
at special situations maybe you only win a little power and loose a lot of aerodynamic / at the end same time at the strip

if you didn`t pay a lot it is okay to do it...
Strip?? Never been to the strip. Didn't realize you have done an analysis of power vs. aerodynamic drag as a result of these inlets. Would love to see your data, please post it up. I always love to learn something new. Based on your post I guess Porsche much be wasting their time by installing similar inlets on the 991GT2RS. I digress..

Btw, I’m not sure how much I paid has anything to do with it... thank you for the input though.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 11-10-2017 at 05:39 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:56 AM
Good 996tt Intercoolers only need improved airflow at very low speed and high load...this situation is very rare, because tuned 996tt are only a few seconds in this period.

You can log every 996tt at high load and high speed and see low iat.
You cant find a iat log for a long period at high load and low speed,only at a small race track

10% lower IAT is not 10% more power......

real more power is to hold it under the DME IAT limit and ignition retard

If you drive a 996 tt at this special situation most time you can improve with this scopes. But dont forget you pay with bad areodynamic. So what is the best choice, the answer is your special use.

Next what i have learned is, everybody does what he wants. I respect your choice. (dissidence make consens)

i would take this parts...but at 1300 Euro two parts plasitic no

Last edited by winnigt2; 11-10-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:17 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Strip?? Never been to the strip. Didn't realize you have done an analysis of power vs. aerodynamic drag as a result of these inlets. Would love to see your data, please post it up. I always love to learn something new. Based on your post I guess Porsche much be wasting their time by installing similar inlets on the 991GT2RS. I digress..

Btw, I’m not sure how much I paid has anything to do with it... thank you for the input though.
I don't think by saying well the new gt2rs uses it is real justification no? Not a fair comparo either considering how much bigger the new car is. The front end is real bulbous, maybe they needed to enlarge every orifice. lol

Old 11-10-2017, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by s65e90
I don't think by saying well the new gt2rs uses it is real justification no? Not a fair comparo either considering how much bigger the new car is. The front end is real bulbous, maybe they needed to enlarge every orifice. lol
new generation 991 use a expansions system a little different.....

345km/h with 700hp not a real good result....

Old 11-10-2017, 10:17 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
I don't think Porsche was aiming for the highest top speed. 31 sec less than the "old" GT2 RS on the Ring. FDGR. Damn good result.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:25 AM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo
you realize that it is electronically limited, right?
Great video!
But where did you read this? I've read that it will redline in 7th gear at 340kph. Gearing is the limiting factor - because the tires are not rated for more.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:01 AM
Is there an update yet? Some final pics?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.