997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Higher Mileage Car - Safe to Mod Still?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 07:25 AM
HardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to all
Higher Mileage Car - Safe to Mod Still?

Happy Saturday everyone!

I've been in a weird position with my 911 Turbo. I've only owned the car since March of 2017 and right now it is "for sale" but while it is up for sale, I've been toying around with modding the car and just wanted to get the general consensus of the group. If I end up modding the car, then I'll end up keeping it I'm sure and trying to see what my options are.

My car is a 2007 6 speed about to hit 63,000 miles. It has had its 60k major service where they went over the car and replaced plugs etc. Mods on the car are currently

H&R Lowering springs
Sachs Clutch
3.0 Catless Speedtech Exhaust
Cobb AP Stage 2 Tune

I haven't dyno'd the car, but if I were to guess the power for these kinds of mods should put me close to the 500awhp range with matching torque?

So a few questions:

1. Would you take the next steps in modding a high mileage car like mine? Is there still plenty of "life left" to handle an increase in power?

2. What would be the next steps in modding? Realize that I live in California and only have access to 91 octane. There are limited 100/e85 stations around here but would be open to having a tune specific to those if I'd be able to switch the tune back and forth from 91 to 100 or e85.

It sounds as though the intercooler/hoses upgrade is the next best thing to do. I've also seen people go with Plenum/Y-Pipe Upgrades and then after Turbos

Old 01-27-2018, 03:10 PM
au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !
If I were you, since the car is for sale , not to seek mods at this point as it will not add value.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:11 PM
HardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to all
Originally Posted by au2bahn
If I were you, since the car is for sale , not to seek mods at this point as it will not add value.
Yea I know that. I'm saying if I decide to do some mods, I'm pulling it down and will keep it so that won't impact anything now.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:14 PM
au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !
Oh I see. But for your real question if there is plenty of life left, yes!! I have had older 911 Turbos with over 100k modded with no issues. Besides, the mods you listed are safe mods

Old 01-29-2018, 01:25 PM
wirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud of
63k miles isn't high mileage for 997tt
Mybe 163k is and if really something brokes it isn't probably engine, but some driveshafts or clutch. Here is high mileage 997tt-s - one 100k miles 997tt is 850hp
https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/s...rder=ASCENDING
Intercoolers are next step and you can add octane booster + OBD programmable computer. I bought same setup from Esmotor and very happy with it.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:34 AM
About to fully commit to the car if I don't end up selling in the next month or so. So let's plan a mod list out. If ICs are the next thing to go for, what are the best bang for buck?

Debating if I want to upgrade the turbos or just run stock turbos and go e85.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:48 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
I definitely wouldn't be afraid of modding her - 60k+ miles is nothing for a 997.

My next steps would be our 997 Turbo Competition Air Intake, IPD Plenum, Intercoolers and a Protune. You'll see a nice bump in power/tq with those.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like for me to quote a package price

Old 01-30-2018, 11:24 AM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
With the 60k mile service, your car is likely in better shape than many of these 20k garage queens with lots of deferred service and no ECU logging to flush out any underlying issues which the stock ECU does a great job of covering up. Tune away.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:04 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Sell the car, it's not for you if you have to ask if 60k is high mileage for modding.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by s65e90
Sell the car, it's not for you if you have to ask if 60k is high mileage for modding.
As always, valuable advice!

Old 02-08-2018, 12:29 PM
Former Vendor
AIM Performance Is a GOD !AIM Performance Is a GOD !AIM Performance Is a GOD !AIM Performance Is a GOD !AIM Performance Is a GOD !AIM Performance Is a GOD !AIM Performance Is a GOD !AIM Performance Is a GOD !AIM Performance Is a GOD !AIM Performance Is a GOD !AIM Performance Is a GOD !
like everyone else is saying.... 60k is nothing provided it was maintained

Old 02-08-2018, 10:47 PM
LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !
I plan on buying a 60-70k mile 997.1 and sending to AIM for the 1000 package day 1.

So your options are:
A- Dont sweat it
or
B - send me pics and details/price so i can lowball you

Old 02-09-2018, 08:44 PM
Irishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by LostMarine
I plan on buying a 60-70k mile 997.1 and sending to AIM for the 1000 package day 1.

So your options are:
A- Dont sweat it
or
Good to see you move to the P-Car community, you will love the 997.1.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by LostMarine

So your options are:
A- Dont sweat it
or
If you're serious on option B, minus the lowball, PM me hah

Old 02-16-2018, 12:28 PM
pdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond repute
I went FBO e85. Little issues kept coming up, so i did everything possible; pinned cams, all coolant lines, all new belts seals etc. From what i have seen its a matter of time until you spin a cam on a 600whp+ 997. Once you do all that stuff car is very reliable

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Higher Mileage Car - Safe to Mod Still?