997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Boost hose keeps on popping off (throttle body to y pipe)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 09:50 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Boost hose keeps on popping off (throttle body to y pipe)

Hey Folks,

I run quite a bit of boost... just north of 23PSI.

I'm constantly having problems with the boost hose popping off.

Have any of you discovered any secrets to keep that hose on?
I've pretty much exhausted all my options.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:38 AM
ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !
If you have already tried different clamps and hose and are truly desperate.

http://www.evoms.com/EVOMS_Leak_Proo...997tlptbck.htm

Old 03-18-2018, 07:38 AM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Stock throttle or GT3?

Old 03-18-2018, 10:25 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Still running the stock throttle body.
And tried all sorts of different clamps, etc.

I have been eyeing IPD Intake plenum and GT3 throttle body. Maybe it's time to go this route, together with the EVOMS kit. It's by no terms a cheap solution though.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:33 PM
ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !
Did you try a clamp like this one.Maybe try a new hose and brake clean the connections.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:40 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Hey Pure,
maybe the "collar" on the boost hose has worn off. If you try tightening too much at that point then the clamp will just slide off. This happened to me with the sleeves between the plenum and the intake manifold. While my engine is down I'm going to replace the sleeves and have these aerospace clamps that another member told me about.
I hadn't heard of this happening with stock plenum, it seemed more common with aftermarket.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:17 PM
cstyles is on a distinguished road
I had this exact same issue last season with stock boost levels. We get small amounts of residual oil into the throttle body, and that oil will slowly deform the rubber sleeve connecting the y-pipe to the throttle body. Eventually it will deform enough that there is no way for it to seal correctly, and as such pops off as soon as it's pressurized.

The good news is it's an easy $200 CAD fix at your local Porsche parts counter. The bad news is it's a 5" long rubber tube for $200 lol. The final good news is that the new $200 tube comes complete with new gear clamps on both ends. Beware of gear clamps without the curled edges, they will cut into the rubber as the engine moves around under load.

Cheers

Old 03-19-2018, 12:10 AM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
The stock clamps holds upward of 1.8 bar for me ... They do however get weak if opened a few too many times, you can find replacements on ECS, dont overtighten and make sure the clamp is directly over the lip as the oem one was.

I got a bunch of them and change the clamp if opened twice.

Good luck

EDIT:

these are the oem PN for e clamps
999.512.629.00 (90-110mm)
999.512.542.00 (80-100mm)

Both are 3/8" wide ...
This is the exact same one without the porsche PN
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...03402ecs06a-13

Good luck

Last edited by TT.BRN; 03-19-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:23 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
replace that boot and clamps with new ones. after it pops off a few times it loses rigidity around the ribs and develops small rips inside.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 03-20-2018, 03:02 PM
Former Vendor
@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all
this is why I like the do88 ypipe/intercoolers, the couplers that come with the setup are nice and long so a good portion of the ypipe is deep inside the coupler, and the ypipe has the beaded rolled edges to prevent it from slipping.

I wouldn't mind down the road doing a setup with alpha loc clamps and custom piping

Old 03-20-2018, 09:59 PM
Thanks Guys,

Yeah I've replaced the hose and tried multiple clamps.

Yup ctony66, that's exactly the clamp I'm running right now.

I'm kinda considering the whole EVOMS + IPD Setup... Would be nice not to have to worry about this any more. Specifically on long road trips.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:33 PM
pdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond reputepdxm5 has a reputation beyond repute
This is a problem for 95% of ppl running more boost than stock. Nobody has a good solution. Some try worm clamps, evoms kit is $$$ and leaks, some weld extra lips on tbody. Someone can make a lot of $$ with a good kit that works and is under $350, everyone would buy one. Ive had mine come off 30 times probably

Old 03-21-2018, 03:52 AM
The problem is that the ypipe is not physically mounted anywhere so it does not move with the engine.

A low tech solution that works: make a small bracket weld it to the underside of the ypipe, use one of the mount points for the filter housing shield and longer bolts. Not my idea Proto ypipes have these brackets, they never come off.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:46 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by pdxm5
This is a problem for 95% of ppl running more boost than stock. Nobody has a good solution. Some try worm clamps, evoms kit is $$$ and leaks, some weld extra lips on tbody. Someone can make a lot of $$ with a good kit that works and is under $350, everyone would buy one. Ive had mine come off 30 times probably

so this EVOMS kit leaks?

Old 10-03-2018, 01:42 PM
TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !
I had this problem previously -- a real thorough cleaning of the rubber boot, a new clamp (I am using a worm clamp even if sub-optimal), some hairspray, and making sure it is 100% seated properly (the most important part that many seem to miss) has kept it from popping off for like 9+ months. Also, there are white markings on the rubber boot -- the clamp "connection" should be seated within that area, I believe.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boost hose keeps on popping off (throttle body to y pipe)