Tech / How To

997TT spark plugs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:20 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
997TT spark plugs

Anybody have a diy on this job?
TIA
c

Old 12-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
not a DIY..but has good info and I think you will decide that unless you have considerable expertise it is not a DIY project...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...97-turbos.html

Old 02-08-2009, 12:43 AM
turbomik1 is on a distinguished road
i replaced the plugs on a '06 997,it was not easy!! had to remove the exhaust and worked on it on a lift at work. Heard on a TT you you remove the bumber to

Old 03-17-2009, 09:58 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Thanks, very helpful, doing it this weekend.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:57 AM
ragdoll will become famous soon enough
I can't help specifically but maybe give you a boost in moral...

Think of it in simple terms. The guys above said you have to remove the bumper and exhaust? Big whoop. It's plastic and metal and bolts and screws. (e.g. I helped a friend remove his 996 bumper once. Never did it before, took about 5-7 minutes.) People seem to think (time elapsed = level of difficulty); a monkey could do this job. Take your time, don't get frustrated...

I replaced my first clutch on my Audi S4 with no experience. Hard? No. Long? 10 hours, so yeah. Everyone says replacing the clutch on the S4 is difficult. It isn't, just takes time.

If it's a precision adjusted item you're working with, document it and take pictures before taking it apart. It's all common sense stuff.

Maybe because I'm German it helps?

Just nuts and bolts.

EDIT: Google for a DIY on this and browse through it to get an idea of what to expect, may help.

TIP: Universal swivel sockets are your friends.

Last edited by ragdoll; 04-16-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Brad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to behold
Did this on my 01 996 this weekend while I was fabbing up a trailer hitch to carry a bike rack. It was my first 'Porsche' job. But I've also worked on cars in a semi professional capacity off and on for the past 20 years. It really was a pretty easy/straight forward job. Just less than 2 hours for me. That being said, I do have a large taco-cart full of tools and don't tend to forget bolts and don't normally have to do things 2-3 times to get it right. YMMV

Jack the car up, use your jack stands.
Remove bumper cover.
Remove rear bumper support (two 16mm bolts) and lower heat shield.
Remove the rear portion of the fender liner (torx screws and 10mm nuts)
Intercoolers: one spring clip on the rear (outlet) hose. Just slips apart. Lower hose was a hose clamp. Again, just slipped apart. Two 13mm nuts at the bottom of the heat shield. Then, I removed two 13mm nuts and two 13mm head bolts that hold the intercoolers on. Wiggled them down and out. From there,bent the heat shield up so that I could see the cylinder heads.

Removed the 10mm bolts for the heat shelds covering the coil packs.
Unclipped the coil pack wiring, removed 5mm allen bolts for the coil packs. Slipped them off and layed them in order.
pulled the plugs, layed them in order for closer inspection later.
Checked gap on the new plugs, a dab of antisieze on the threads, put them back in, torqued them down (22lbs if I recall correctly)
Coil packs back on, 7lbs if I recall correctly on the torque.
Wires back on, verified they were attached.
Reverse order going back together.

Get someone to help you with the rear cover, or be careful/tape all the edges so that they aren't scratched up.

I know this was for a 996, but I'd imagine it's pretty similar for the 997.