Tech / How To

SS header crack welding

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:32 AM
bjarne996 will become famous soon enough
SS header crack welding

I've just received my new FVD stainless steel headers purchased on ebay. Unfortunately, there seems to be a small crack about an inch long in one of the downpipes.

Does anyone have any experience with welding SS headers?

Can this be performed so that the repair lasts, considering that the header may reach temperatures making it glow yellow during hard driving?

Thanks

Last edited by bjarne996; 11-04-2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:35 AM
INTMD8 is a splendid one to beholdINTMD8 is a splendid one to beholdINTMD8 is a splendid one to beholdINTMD8 is a splendid one to beholdINTMD8 is a splendid one to beholdINTMD8 is a splendid one to beholdINTMD8 is a splendid one to behold
Are these used?

If the base metal is still in good condition you would typically drill a hole at either end of the crack and tig weld it with a stainless rod, preferrably of a higher grade than the base metal.

Maybe post a pic so we can see the extent of the problem.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:58 PM
The headers are used, but seem to be in good condition except from the crack.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:25 PM
INTMD8 is a splendid one to beholdINTMD8 is a splendid one to beholdINTMD8 is a splendid one to beholdINTMD8 is a splendid one to beholdINTMD8 is a splendid one to beholdINTMD8 is a splendid one to beholdINTMD8 is a splendid one to behold
Looks easily repairable. Just bring it to someone experienced in tig welding stainless. Have it very clean and drill a hole at each end of the crack so it doesn't travel.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:29 PM
That sounds good!

Thanks for your help!!!

Old 11-06-2008, 04:26 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
VERY important that the inside of any weld is carefully cleaned up. One bit of slag and you have a ruined turbocharger [as me how I know....].

It does look very minor. GOOD LUCK.
JR

Old 11-10-2008, 04:20 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Keep in mind that to repair a crack correctly you must have full penetration to the back side of your base metal. If you don't use a back purge you WILL have defective welds when making full penetration Tig welds on Stainless Steel tube and piping or thin metals for that matter. You have to shield the back side of the weld.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
I think the header should be removed to do the welding. Even if you put grease on the bit tip there is still some chance of SS chips going to the turbo impeller when the holes are drilled, and they should be drilled as mentioned above.. Also you will be able to examine the back side of the weld. Most advise getting a new gasket but some say it's fine to reuse.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Brad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to beholdBrad Bedell is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dgreen78
Keep in mind that to repair a crack correctly you must have full penetration to the back side of your base metal. If you don't use a back purge you WILL have defective welds when making full penetration Tig welds on Stainless Steel tube and piping or thin metals for that matter. You have to shield the back side of the weld.

This step is very important. Cleaning the inside/outside is also important. I have a wire bottle brush that I fit down inside the pipes. Shielding the inside of the tube can be done by purging argon inside the pipe. I usually find a rubber gasket with plate clamped to one end and a gasket/plate with a hose nipple on the other end usually does the trick. I've sometimes just used masking tape and steel wool. Just depends on how much welding I'm doing. At first, I thought I was pretty decent at stainless welding. However, I didn't get good at welding stainless and good penetration until I figured titanium out.

Are you sure that's a crack and not just an a surface imperfection? That's a really weird place for a crack. Usually it starts at a weld or a seam unless there's some unnecessary stress on the turbo/headers system.