Tech / How To

floor jack too high to fit under car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 02:35 AM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
floor jack too high to fit under car

(re changing tires)
I bought a floor jack and thought it was low enough, but it can't fit under the car to reach the jack-point. What do you guys suggest to make it fit?

The frustrating thing is that the jack is too high by only about 1/2 or 1 inch the most. I like my existing jack because it is locking and the one that *does* fit under (from Canadian Tire) cost almost 4x more and doesn't have the locking feature.

Some guy suggested I just use a 2x6 under the wheel I'm changing. What do you guys think? Thx.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
ya, the low profile jack from CT that has the single roller wheel up front will fit but they are crap! many of them have failed and they are unstable....

I have a big 3 ton Michelin jack from CT and what I do is take the cup that holds the jacking pad off , then place the jacking pad directly on the base of the jack, lift the car about 2"s and then place 2x6"s under the tire then set it down and replace the cup on the jack base....then jack higher if needed...

I have been searching for a long time now for a good low pro jack and it seems that the one at Princess auto is supposed to be better quality then the one at CT but still has the single front roller wheel and is unstable.... so i'm still looking!

My current method works, but is a little tedious...

Old 04-09-2011, 09:22 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Yup. Have to drive up on a thin piece of wood under each wheel to get the jack under the jackpoints. Total PITA, but unless I get an even lower profile jack (not sure one exists) or a lift, then this is what I have to do.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
The reason I opt for my method is that driving up on the wood can possible cause the wood to lift the moment the tire touches it causing it to hit/damage some bodywork....

Old 04-09-2011, 09:32 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sharp
The reason I opt for my method is that driving up on the wood can possible cause the wood to lift the moment the tire touches it causing it to hit/damage some bodywork....
I worry about that too. Guess it depends on the size/weight of the piece of wood. Luckily hasn't happened....yet

Not sure if removing the 'cup' on my jack would give it enough clearance or if it even comes off at all. I'll check next time I put the car up.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:45 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
groits sells a super low one thats been tempting me.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:45 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
if you have a buddy with you..have him lift up on the fender..then slide the jack in.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:55 PM
tranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of lighttranquility is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Sharp
Ya, that's what I'm worried about....arrgh...

Btw, this is my present jack: any good? I like the locking feature. However, it doesn't fit under my car and I'll need a 2x6...just trying to figure out what's the best way.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...=1301180317788

Old 04-09-2011, 11:47 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
you can drive the car on a ramp or even some 2x4 planks. this should give enough clearence for the jack

Old 04-10-2011, 07:59 PM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
http://atdtools.com/7325

I have one like this, works very well on low cars, and it is long, so you can fit it way under the car to reach the crossmember front or rear.
I paid about $250 for it a while ago.
Solid steel, very well made, and very heavy!

Old 04-11-2011, 05:12 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cuemaster
groits sells a super low one thats been tempting me.
I have Griot's floor jack. It is quite good. Price is reasonable considering its competators. I went with Griot's brand (which now replaces my Sears Craftsman) for 2 reasons.

1. Lower profile fits my GT2 without coming anywhere near the side skirts. Also allows me to fit inserts into the jack point to prevent scuffing.

2. Elevation is significantly greater than my 14 inch max height Sears jack. To lift the front end, you place the jack in the rear jack points, and elevate the car. My ESCO stands were too high for the GT2...I needed about 3 more lifting inches to get the stands to fit.

Attached Images  

Last edited by bbywu; 04-11-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:15 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vrybad
http://atdtools.com/7325

I have one like this, works very well on low cars, and it is long, so you can fit it way under the car to reach the crossmember front or rear.
I paid about $250 for it a while ago.
Solid steel, very well made, and very heavy!
It's $299 on Amazon + $78 shipping. Looks like it'll handle a very low dropped car.

My Griot's jack was $399, but free shipping (special promotion.)

Old 04-11-2011, 07:49 PM
vrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant futurevrybad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by bbywu
It's $299 on Amazon + $78 shipping. Looks like it'll handle a very low dropped car.

My Griot's jack was $399, but free shipping (special promotion.)

Yes, it will fit a very low car.
On my C5 Z06, which I had lowered, this jack would fit all the way under the car at the very center of the nose, to the front subframe.
If you are familiar with the way the vette is built, it is a long reach to that point.
I had tried other low profile race-type jacks, but this was the only one that worked for me
This jack also worked well for Mike (ttboost) on his car, and he is on coilovers.
Like your Griot's jack, it is also fairly expensive.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by vrybad
Yes, it will fit a very low car.
On my C5 Z06, which I had lowered, this jack would fit all the way under the car at the very center of the nose, to the front subframe.
If you are familiar with the way the vette is built, it is a long reach to that point.
I had tried other low profile race-type jacks, but this was the only one that worked for me
This jack also worked well for Mike (ttboost) on his car, and he is on coilovers.
Like your Griot's jack, it is also fairly expensive.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I really like my Sear's jack. It isn't made any more, but it is very low...but from the jack point back, it gets progressively taller and taller...so you can jack up something very very low if the jack point is close to the edge of the car.

Had I seen the jack you posted the link to, I may have skipped the Griot's jack.

b

Old 04-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Errr...Bob. What the deal with the wing (or lack thereof)?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: floor jack too high to fit under car