Tech / How To

A Stage 4GT Lunch Cruise- Still Puzzled

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Banned
MTBR is on a distinguished road
Is the assumption, that all drivers possess equal driving skill, correct? Is it possible that Upsolute Stephen possesses the greatest driving skill?

I am just trying to make sense of the results.

Then again, Ryan has driven both a 4GT and an Upsolute and claims that both cars accelerate similarly.

Do any of you have access to a Gtech? You can have the same driver drive each car with the Gtech installed.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Duane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud of
Here is a good example. Right now I am running Stage 4 GTR software Thanks to Todd at EVO. However upon installing this we lost about 30 HP the wheels. IMO the Zero Clearance cannot flow enough air for an agressive program like the GTR. MY AFR's were 10.7 and 10.9. Upon driving the car it was noticably slower. The biggest difference was it felt way down on torque.

Now to the point.

Orli930 just had a stage 4 installed.

We raced twice from third gear both times my car pulled away. Not by much but did pull away by about three car lengths.

My thoughts are you guys both need to give some time for the ecu to adapt. Stage 4 when I had it installed about a year ago really took about 1500 miles to come alive.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
The GTech is the perfect idea. I've been toying with getting one myself.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:25 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by dan996tt
Is the assumption, that all drivers possess equal driving skill, correct? Is it possible that Upsolute Stephen possesses the greatest driving skill?

I am just trying to make sense of the results.

Then again, Ryan has driven both a 4GT and an Upsolute and claims that both cars accelerate similarly.

Do any of you have access to a Gtech? You can have the same driver drive each car with the Gtech installed.
Since the cars were pretty even, that would mean that stephen and I have this superior driving skill. I definately do not possesses such skills and actually altogether missed an upshift once when stephen and I took off. Also, there was really only one upshift of significance, which was from 3rd to 4th. We did race into 5th, but barely, and by then we were braking. The amount of time in third should have put one car ahead of the other, and it didn't. Good question though, I am trying to find an answer myself. Doesn't make any sense. Where are all the tuners? There has to be some explanation. Why does 150 extra hp not = increased speed? In my case, why speed wise does a $500 upsolute chip = a $3100 giac chip with stage 2 programming? Why does a $500 upsolute chip = a stage 2 chip($3100) = a stage 4GT(???) on the street? Please let me know, there must be an answer. Not trying to flame or discredit, I just want to know the reasoning.

Lou

Lou

Old 02-10-2004, 01:44 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Guys I'm not sure what the problem is but I've had both just the upsolute and then Stephen's GIAC stuff and there's just a huge difference for me?

For example my mph used to 121-123 with upsolute and now I'm trapping 127.8. In the 1/8th I was at 94mph and now I'm at 101mph- that's a HUGE difference. Strange... maybe I would disconnect the battery and then try.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:46 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Couple of things here. Some might not make any difference until some time is passed and the dust has settled. David has the sheets and can post his jpgs if he wants. His car made on open exhaust with cats in place 565RWHP. The exhaust is changed and restricting, but still should be within target to blow a lower level car away. The weather is playing a huge roll and the programming of the Upsolute chip. The turbos are cranked on the K16s and can and will make big spikes of power in the cold weather. The normal ambient temperature will allow things to become soaked very fast when the turbo is over spinning. In most cases a turbo being over spun will not relate to more HP, rather it will reduce it because of the amount of friction and heat being created. The turbo over spinning in 20 degree weather is not overheating like it would when it is say 70. The other key factor is the program is running leaner with the colder air and grouped with an over spinning turbo will simply make some very serious TQ. The difference becomes, can this level be sustained for very long. Not really. The car is getting every shot it can to maximize the 500.00 chip. I do believe that the car should still get beat, but if the programming is set to the ragged edge on one and is set nominal for all conditions with a huge safety margin then the out come will be the one that can run more efficient because of elements would yield a like result. This is the only Logic reason and the differences to other that have run similar cars, such as Duane. I have spent so much time on the dyno with so many TTs and these cars made big power. Fred's also proved that to the public on the Mustang Dyno at the shootout. While all of this can be proven until the temps warm up, it is about efficiency and heat. I feel like I am in the twilight zone.

Old 02-10-2004, 02:08 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Everyone that has ridden in my car has said the same thing about the two:

1)Upsolute- induced some surge/lag and it seemed to be inconsistent in different weather. In the summer it just seemed to have lost so much but when I switched to the GIAC stuff it certainly pulled stronger in warmer weather. I had a few CELs.
2)GIAC- great boost maps and consistently fast. Smokes my tires and I can keep up with my friends cars that used to beat me like C5s with blowers and so on...

I've had both so that's just my opinion. I've never been happier with my car and having driven it a lot this past week (first time really since the shoot out) it's just a frickin' animal. There's no way my car with the upsolute in it could keep up. I've got the timeslips to prove that...

Old 02-10-2004, 02:28 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Ryan,
Call me...I think I am going to catch a plane up there and see what is going on.

Old 02-10-2004, 02:52 PM
ColorChange is on a distinguished road
Stephan or Todd:

I am still surprised that the Upsolute should be that close to the stage 2. Stage 4+ ... no way. But, I see that you beilieve there is a problem with Shank AND 996ttr.

Do you have hard data on the Upsolute (have you evaluated their programming yourself) that they are "pushing the envelope"? I would like to see it, or tell me, what are they pushing? AFR's, turbo temps (intake charge), what?

No attack, just straight questions that I think a lot of people would like to know.

Old 02-10-2004, 03:35 PM
996TTR will become famous soon enough996TTR will become famous soon enough
Guys,

I just ran my car over to the dyno and met Shank there. He will post the sheets. I know I am losing some power due to the fact that I have a EVO stock modified muffler. I will have a Europipe in a few days. It should perk up some then. The real issue is why Shanks car cannot pull away from a Stage II/Imagineauto car(LSM's). Imagineauto and EVO are great companies and will help us get to the bottom of this.

Old 02-10-2004, 03:51 PM
I'm sure it's some gremlin... These cars are fussy as hell thanks to those ECUs etc... I'm sure Stephen will sort it out.

Old 02-10-2004, 03:51 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
can you give exact details on this "run" where you were comparing the cars? Was it a straight line on a street? Road course? 1/4 mile?

Isn't it possible that those with the bigger hp cars just held back slightly because of the setup of the "run"?

-Steve

Old 02-10-2004, 04:09 PM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Dyno sheets of todays run at the Porsche Exchange - Dave/996TTR's Stage4GT:

The numbers of the stock GT2 and EVO Stage 2 GT2 are not related to my GT2. These were other customers cars.

Ryan

Old 02-10-2004, 04:15 PM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
I have spoken to Stephen at Imagine. This is what we're gonna do.

Next tuesday or wednesday (Lou, StephenTi, My GT2 (throwing in the sl600renntech too ) will be going to the dyno at the Porsche Exchange. Prior to that, I am going to change my headers to the stock ones, honed and coated. Just want to rule out that "header eats torque" theory.

Once we get a result of Stephen's Upsolute, Todd and Stephen agreed to fly up and resolve the problem and dyno tune it. We are all puzzled. StephenTi - Need your help here, and if you can shoot down for the Dyno run.

Thanks
Shank

Old 02-10-2004, 04:38 PM
TSP-MIAMI is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by LSM
Since the cars were pretty even, that would mean that stephen and I have this superior driving skill. I definately do not possesses such skills and actually altogether missed an upshift once when stephen and I took off. Also, there was really only one upshift of significance, which was from 3rd to 4th. We did race into 5th, but barely, and by then we were braking. The amount of time in third should have put one car ahead of the other, and it didn't. Good question though, I am trying to find an answer myself. Doesn't make any sense. Where are all the tuners? There has to be some explanation. Why does 150 extra hp not = increased speed? In my case, why speed wise does a $500 upsolute chip = a $3100 giac chip with stage 2 programming? Why does a $500 upsolute chip = a stage 2 chip($3100) = a stage 4GT(???) on the street? Please let me know, there must be an answer. Not trying to flame or discredit, I just want to know the reasoning.

Lou

Lou buddy,...... check your PM.

Theo

Lou

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A Stage 4GT Lunch Cruise- Still Puzzled