Which helmet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 AM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
Which helmet?

I am about to purchase my first track helmet, and I am unsure as to which brand to purchase. I have been looking at G-force Side draft sa2010, Bell M4 SA2010 and Arai helmets.
I am looking for an entry level helmet at this time. Is there a particular brand of helmet that fits better and have better quality helmets for tracking our cars?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
I would purchase an inexpensive helmet (like Bell) for your first one since you may find that you don't like tracking your car (some actually don't)...once you have the bug then you can think about a more expensive helmet like an Arai and go to a store and get a proper fit and a hans device...you can go to Bells website and get info on how to measure your head for a Bell helmet...most SA2010 helmets are already drilled for a hans device, even the inexpensive ones like Bell, Simpson

Old 08-24-2011, 12:08 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sanchezdds
I am about to purchase my first track helmet, and I am unsure as to which brand to purchase. I have been looking at G-force Side draft sa2010, Bell M4 SA2010 and Arai helmets.
I am looking for an entry level helmet at this time. Is there a particular brand of helmet that fits better and have better quality helmets for tracking our cars?
Thank you in advance for your help.
To be quiet honest, entry level or not, the Bell helmets are great. I just purchased a new helmet and the Bell helmets just fit my head better than Arai. They both have the SA2010 certifications, find the one that is most comfortable and you will keep it longer.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:09 PM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
btw, i can't tell you how important it is to try the helmets on... if you are in Southern California, try Ashley at Subesports in Huntington Beach, or Jackie at Werks II in Burbank. I've purchased race gear from both and they are incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:48 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
Thanks guys for the tremendous help. I am not able to try these on. I want to purchase this helmet online. There are no racing stores in the area that we live. That is the reason it makes it a harder purchase to make without trying them on. Is there a color preference that people go for? Is black a color to stay away from?

Old 08-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
no color preference unless you are running an open car in a hot climate in which case a black helmet will absorb more heat

Old 09-09-2011, 06:30 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
I would try the motorcycle helmet to see about the fit, then go to one of the sponsors of 6speed to buy the SA rate helmet. Chances are, you will find a motorcycle shop much easier. I just ordered a (G Force) helmet this week from Apex Performance. They're a sponsor and offer board members discount.

As for fitment, they are like shoes. Same brand, same size may fit perfect for me, but not fit perfect for you. And higher price typically means better/more exotic materials (composite to complete carbon ) to help reduce weight. Then again, most helmets weigh in on avg just over 3 lbs., and usually within 1/4 lb spread. My neck isn't built like a football player, so i bought myself a helmet support collar to help minimize strain from helmet moving around. HTH.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by lithium1330
I would try the motorcycle helmet to see about the fit, then go to one of the sponsors of 6speed to buy the SA rate helmet. Chances are, you will find a motorcycle shop much easier. I just ordered a (G Force) helmet this week from Apex Performance. They're a sponsor and offer board members discount.

As for fitment, they are like shoes. Same brand, same size may fit perfect for me, but not fit perfect for you. And higher price typically means better/more exotic materials (composite to complete carbon ) to help reduce weight. Then again, most helmets weigh in on avg just over 3 lbs., and usually within 1/4 lb spread. My neck isn't built like a football player, so i bought myself a helmet support collar to help minimize strain from helmet moving around. HTH.
Thank you so much for your input. I purchased a G- force helmet, and it fits great. I purchased it from a auto store in Sacramento, so I was able to try a few. +rep

Old 09-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Banned
lamb147 is on a distinguished road
Arai is awesome. but Bell wouldnt be bad to start with.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:03 PM
dan212 is on a distinguished road
How much is your head worth?? This is a safety device.. I do like the Bell helmets, but you need to try several models and brands for best fit.. Everyone is different. And don't get a motorcycle helmet. Meant for different use and not approved by most regions.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Kafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond reputeKafka997 has a reputation beyond repute
Full face helmets with air bags?

Folks,
I too am looking for a new helmet and was going to move from an open faced Bell to a full face M4 Bell model for improved safety.
However, I have heard there may be a safety issue with full face helmets with active air bags. IN 2004 SCCA advised open faced helmets when using active air bags (no, turning off the air bags is not an option) but what is current info on this safety concern today? Apparently closed faced helmets can lead to neck and spinal injuries if the air bags are deployed on track.

Any current info on this? I'd like to know before buying a new SA 2010 helmet (HANS device will come later when budget permits).

Thanks in advance.
K

Old 11-23-2011, 01:54 PM
lithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud oflithium1330 has much to be proud of
What I've gathered is that the injury/risk you described is higher when the clear visor is in the up/open position. That's when the airbag will catch the open visor and force/tilt the helmet (and head) up and causing injury.
To mitigate, I've seen recommendations of either keeping the visor down/close or remove the visor completely. HTH.

Originally Posted by Kafka997
Folks,
I too am looking for a new helmet and was going to move from an open faced Bell to a full face M4 Bell model for improved safety.
However, I have heard there may be a safety issue with full face helmets with active air bags. IN 2004 SCCA advised open faced helmets when using active air bags (no, turning off the air bags is not an option) but what is current info on this safety concern today? Apparently closed faced helmets can lead to neck and spinal injuries if the air bags are deployed on track.

Any current info on this? I'd like to know before buying a new SA 2010 helmet (HANS device will come later when budget permits).

Thanks in advance.
K

Old 12-01-2011, 06:46 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
interesting info there about the visor and airbags.

Im in the market for a new helmet and I have had a thread going for a month now, called numerous shops, helmet painters and talked to bunch of people about what they use.

I cant count the number of people that recomended these same things over and over.

-ARAI 6S
-Never buy online unless you know your size
-Snell rated 2005 helmets are great bang for your buck (because most helmets need to be replaced after 5 years and most racing organizations allow last model of snell rating)
-wear a sock or balaclava to reduce helmet sweating and getting smelly
-get on that is hanz ready because hanz is quickly become standard these days
-dont cheep out, it's a safty device - meaning this is your head you have one shot to mash it up
-I cant remember the rest of the stuff but you get the idea

take a look at this link

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/641156-helmet-****-r-rated.html

and this one also

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/666980-hans-quick-release-or-post-anchor-collar.html

and

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/666150-buying-a-track-helmate.html

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 12-01-2011 at 08:57 PM. Reason: active links to another forum
Old 12-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Zuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant futureZuluracerx has a brilliant future
Stand 21.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:01 PM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
Im headed to get some stuff in a couple of days, stand 21 will be on top of my list

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which helmet?