Tuning/Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 05-28-2006, 07:33 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VRAlexander
Chad...what about Head-studs???? The factory studs nor the EVO head studs are capable of holding the heads down at 'high-volume' boost levels that a pair of GT35R or GT40R is capable of producing (above 2bar)... Are you having ARP build you new 'high-tensile' stud set-up????? If so, they should have my spec sheet on file.... I am looking forward for this missile being on the roads of Northern Cali soon!!
VRAlexander,

Have you seen the tests of the tensile strenght for all the studs you mentioned above. The ARP studs are good for approx. 25,000 psi more than the other two.

I'm really looking forward to it too. Back in November when you said you stop by at Rob's and the car was no where even close I thought you were crazy. Six months later and it still isn't done. Guess I'm the crazy one.

Last edited by cjv; 05-28-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Porscha is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cjv
What we will now have is high performance GT3 cams without any harmonic distortion which will be compatable with the 996tt ECU.
Chad - what is the issue with harmonics and the 996tt ECU? Is it related to knock sensing?

Old 05-29-2006, 12:27 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Porscha
Chad - what is the issue with harmonics and the 996tt ECU? Is it related to knock sensing?
Porscha,

The harmonic distortion on the tt, GT3, GT3 Cup and GT3R cams is very bad to say the least. This has nothing to due with knocking, but with smoothiness of the valve train. This was one reason we reprofiled the cams. Second, we learned up to what lift the motor continued to make power and where the power ceased.

As for the ECU, the tt and the GT3's cam markers are in different locations. In addition, the tt and the GT3's run different timing. What we have designed, manufactured and tested is intake/exhaust cams with ultimate lift/duraion, little to no harmonic distortation and markers that are compatable with the tt's ECU. These cams are made in heaven for a tuner. The power gains are phenominal. I can't help to wonder when we will see the first copy cat or should I say pirate.

Last edited by cjv; 05-29-2006 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:31 PM
cjv
Pretty tame intake cam.

Lift .402" secondary cam lobe .118"

Duration .040 234 degrees .050 230 degrees

secondary cam duration .040 128 degrees .050 120 degrees

cam base circle 1.378

You guessed it .............. the intake cam in all 996tt's and GT2's.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:53 AM
ebaker is on a distinguished road
Chad, is the harmonic distortion in the valve springs or in the rotation speed of the cams and chains?

Old 05-31-2006, 11:32 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Chad - what are you driving for thrills while this beast has been getting built?

Old 05-31-2006, 12:26 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by ebaker
Chad, is the harmonic distortion in the valve springs or in the rotation speed of the cams and chains?
ebaker,

The harmonic distortion has to do with the profile of the ramp up and down of the cam lobe.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:36 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zippy
Chad - what are you driving for thrills while this beast has been getting built?
You must have put a slight hit of NOS on the Mercury Sable by now!

Old 05-31-2006, 05:03 PM
cjv
Originally Posted by Zippy
You must have put a slight hit of NOS on the Mercury Sable by now!
Nah, she would die of a heart attack. The best thing about the Sable is I can park her anywhere and when the idiots ding her with their doors I can care less.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:13 PM
cjv
We made a decision on the turbo's. We decided to set her up with GT30R's and GT40R's. This will require two sets of turbo's, headers and ECU's. Since the motor is going to be tuned on an engine dyno we will set up both programs. I don't want to put both programs on the same ECU as one screw up and we could fry a motor. There was no way of obtaining the best of both worlds with one turbo setup. Once all the parts are made, it shouldn't take more than about two hours to be ready to go for either the track or the strip.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:46 PM
cjv
This is a little idea of what I go through.

"We have the Titanium Retainers and a new Spring in house for the new Cam
design. As soon as I have further details we will be able to assemble and
ship the heads.

To update you on the 996TT Triggering issue. The 996TT electronics requires a 4 segment wheel which it uses for Cam timing (VTC).

The GT3 Cup cams have only one Trigger point. The issue is 2 fold. The new
cams are single lobe type, the 996TT are the variable lift type, and the
996TT Cams will not fit into the cup cam trays.

I have spoken to (blank) and asked him for his advice regarding the requirements of the 996TT ECU/software. It is my understanding after talking to him, that he is unsure of the ability of the ECU to understand anything other than the stock settings. He hopes to know more in a few weeks when he tests another engine.

As there is no way to modify the GT3 sync wheel, we seem to have only 2
choices. The first and less expensive is to hope the 996TT ECU software can
be modified to accept a single Cam sync trigger, and it can be adjusted to
suit another Cam position. If not, we will have to use the single Cam sync
and have that trigger another simulated trigger signal that the 996ECU will
accept. The existing Cam Trigger sensors will input into a module that will
output to the ECU the 4 segment signal. There seem to be no alternatives
here.

I suppose the 3rd choice would be an alternative electronics package.

The simulated signal choice will be expensive with expected and possible
changes required until it is correct. This system will require some testing
to ensure we "fool" the stock ECU. I have no idea of the cost or the time
required. There is no way to estimate this, nor the cost of any testing. It
can only be done on a time and material basis.

If this is the direction we have to go, we need to start the work as soon as
possible, so that we do not hold up the project any longer than necessary.

I suggest we allow (blank) time to find his and the stock ECU's ability to be
changed, and if this proves unsuccessful, we immediately start designing the
trigger simulator.

As we have spoken about, the 911 Race heads are all ready for assembly. As
soon as we have the throttle bodies, we will check and make sure the match is perfect to the intake ports.

I sent you a rocker sample, so if you want to use these, either supply me
the base rockers or we can order them in. The time with these is always the
DLC coating. It typically takes 5 - 10 days to ship coat and return ship."

You guys now have a taste as to why this project has taken so long. This is one of a couple hundred e-mails.

Last edited by cjv; 05-31-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:34 PM
VRAlexander
Wow...and I thought that I had issues.... All I can say is that the 'juice be worth the squeeze"! In other words, with the amount of time and money that you put in this car, I would expecting to see a 1500hp DAILY DRIVER that can pass smog, run 8 second Qmile passes (with the ac on) and be a record setting lap runner at the North Cal tracks...not to mention 250+MPH on the top end while listening to a stereo...This car is going to HAVE to wear more than one hat! Hats off to you Chad, you are re-designing the wheel !

Old 06-01-2006, 12:52 AM
cjv
Originally Posted by VRAlexander
Wow...and I thought that I had issues.... All I can say is that the 'juice be worth the squeeze"! In other words, with the amount of time and money that you put in this car, I would expecting to see a 1500hp DAILY DRIVER that can pass smog, run 8 second Qmile passes (with the ac on) and be a record setting lap runner at the North Cal tracks...not to mention 250+MPH on the top end while listening to a stereo...This car is going to HAVE to wear more than one hat! Hats off to you Chad, you are re-designing the wheel !
Alex,

1500 hp would make for alot of pressure on the liners. I believe the rods would have to be lengthened and the pistons shortened. As for listening to the stereo ............. maybe if I had your system.

The author of the letter did let the cat out of the bag regarding one item. Did you catch it?

Last edited by cjv; 06-01-2006 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:52 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Let me get this. Is he suggesting that you run the stock ECU with a modified electronics "package"?

Old 06-01-2006, 04:37 AM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by cjv
Alex,

1500 hp would make for alot of pressure on the liners. I believe the rods would have to be lengthened and the pistons shortened. As for listening to the stereo ............. maybe if I had your system.

The author of the letter did let the cat out of the bag regarding one item. Did you catch it?
Chad-
I feel your pain in the project (I have been there with numerous cars)...so I had to lash out with a little sarcasm...If I did'nt consider Rob a friend, he would be "under the gun" from my end not to dissapoint on this project (I have been there too)!! I like Rob and I know he and S-CAR-GO with complete the pinnacle turbo!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring