Tuning/Modifications

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 03-09-2004, 08:37 PM
ryan has a spectacular aura aboutryan has a spectacular aura aboutryan has a spectacular aura about
was it the intrax springs that made it slow?

Old 03-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 will become famous soon enoughHamann7 will become famous soon enough
it was tires... they were running street rubber. Also, CJV's suspension is far more extensive than Hartmann's... Hartmann uses single adjustable JRZ vs. Chad's TRG-spec triple adjustable ones. Also, Chad used as many GT3-R parts as he could.

GT2 also uses a lot of GT3-R or derived parts, apparently.

Old 03-09-2004, 08:46 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
You get away from the very tight turns with a properly set up turbo and the turbo will prevail. Once the GT2 starts to slip on these type of turns it will give up too much time.

Many people like the sliding around feeling. Each car does offer a different experience. Please note, my above remarks are not meant for a turbo with a set of coil overs and a sway bar. A GT2 comes stock with alot more than the turbo suspension wise. However, set the turbo up correctly and it will prevail in most circumstances. Killer Angel is living proof.

Old 03-09-2004, 08:54 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
ryan,

Ask sharkster about how Killer Angel handles. He took a ride on the back roads of Mt. Hamilton. Ask him about 75 mph hairpins or instantaneously dodging a dove that just happened to be crossing our path. The dove looked like it froze directly in front of the windshield as we jogged around it. Killer Angel feels like she is on rails. The suspension also sounds and feels like you are riding on a brick.

Last edited by cjv; 03-09-2004 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Porsche Fiend
cjv,

I don't think you can really make that kind of statement about Killer Angel unless you put it head to head against a GT2 with the same level of modifications (in terms of parts or $$$).

You and I both know that a fully prepped RWD race car like the new GT3-RSR (even with its power handicap) will handily beat your car on most any track with corners, let alone an enduro race.

Though the Jurgen Alzen and Manthey 996TT show that the Turbo can be a great racing platform, this does not unilaterally prove that the Turbo is a superior platform.

All the top modded street 996's that have set record times on the 'Ring have been RWD, not AWD.

Old 03-09-2004, 09:53 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
ryan,

Ask sharkster about how Killer Angel handles. He took a ride on the back roads of Mt. Hamilton. Ask him about 75 mph hairpins or instantaneously dodging a dove that just happened to be crossing our path. The dove looked like it froze directly in front of the windshield as we jogged around it. Killer Angel feels like she is on rails. The suspension also sounds and feels like you are riding on a brick.
Ah them were the days! Yes I remember that.. power-aside, the thing that impressed me most was the entire JRZ suspension set up (sways etc..). I've never been in a car that could handle turns on a street like that and at that speed.... I remember grabbing at interior pannels when you were turning and burning... I think that Dove was trying to commit suicide and got mad at you for getting out of the way... He's probably the lil' guy that pooped on my CF hood today!

Old 03-09-2004, 09:54 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Hamann7
cjv,

I don't think you can really make that kind of statement about Killer Angel unless you put it head to head against a GT2 with the same level of modifications (in terms of parts or $$$).

You and I both know that a fully prepped RWD race car like the new GT3-RSR (even with its power handicap) will handily beat your car on most any track with corners, let alone an enduro race.

Though the Jurgen Alzen and Manthey 996TT show that the Turbo can be a great racing platform, this does not unilaterally prove that the Turbo is a superior platform.

All the top modded street 996's that have set record times on the 'Ring have been RWD, not AWD.
Heh if you put enough into one, you can make a 914 beat any modded 996 GT2 or Turbo on the track.. Just physics really, the weight a decent motor and crazy supsension and tires will get you places

Old 03-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Porsche Fiend
tru dat... but it's still ugly.

Old 03-10-2004, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Hamann7
tru dat... but it's still ugly.
Not if you put some 2001 bumperettes on it, it's not!

Old 03-10-2004, 08:33 PM
cjv
Originally posted by sharkster
Ah them were the days! Yes I remember that.. power-aside, the thing that impressed me most was the entire JRZ suspension set up (sways etc..). I've never been in a car that could handle turns on a street like that and at that speed.... I remember grabbing at interior pannels when you were turning and burning... I think that Dove was trying to commit suicide and got mad at you for getting out of the way... He's probably the lil' guy that pooped on my CF hood today!
Sharkster, you are not the first person that has tried to bail on Killer Angel while entering a turn. Until it has been experienced no one will believe it anyway.

Yes, the JRZ triple adjustables and GT3 RS sway bars with the S Car Go adjustable drop links help. Don't forget the GT2/3 parts that allow much more adjustment of camber and caster. The metal mono ***** are noisy, but do they connect Killer Angel to the road. The lightened hubs/hats. The use of titanium studs with S Car Go spacers that widen the track to specified distances front and rear. There is a strut support to stiffen the front and the rear cage ties the rear shock towers together substancially stiffening up the rear. The Fikse wheels are very light and also wide, 9.5 and 13 inches. These really spread the 265/35 and 315/30-18 Michelin Pilot Sport Cups on the pavement. In addition, S Car Go replaced the soft motor and tranny mounts with a special of their own. Oh, the brakes/hubs, these are full floaters which make a hugh difference as to how late and how hard they can be applied. Finally, she weights in at just over 3200 pounds and has been set up by one of the best in the business.

One other small point, my throttle body doesn't listen to my PSM when so directed.

Unfair advantage to most turbo's, GT2/3's and 914-6's......why of course.

Last edited by cjv; 03-10-2004 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:20 PM
cjv
Just delivered Killer Angel to Rob King @ Scargo Racing last Friday. They are installing the new 1000 cc injectors along with a little larger hot side turbo's. Todd at Protomotive will re map the ECU for the larger injectors. Scargo Racing will also be relocating the tranny oil cooler behind the passenger side intercooler along with adding an oil filter inline with the tranny oil cooler pump. Finally, they are adding a three 7-1/4" disc, carbon/metalic clutch and ultra high pressure pressure plate which weighs in at little over six pounds and is capable of harnessing over 1400 foot pounds of torque. The new clutch will have an engaugement lenght about 20% longer than stock.

Short of changing the seats, Killer Angel's modifications will be finished before Easter.

Last edited by cjv; 03-14-2004 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:17 PM
Ruf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura about
Chad,
Amigo, your bench racing starts to wear thin.Bring it to Nevada! I said it before and I say it again: Ruf will kick your *** !

With respect,

Your friend
R

Old 03-14-2004, 11:07 PM
Frosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud ofFrosty has much to be proud of
Chad, did you ever end up picking seats? Are you going with Cobra? I'm sure you've looked into these, but Sparco, Recaro, Corbeau and Momo also make seats. I have no clue, however, on each companies reputation except that Recaro makes lots of OEM.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:29 AM
cjv
Thumbs up

Hey R,

You are probably right, but I could probably enjoy a cup of coffee while I waited at 201 mph for you you to catch up and pass.

Killer Angel doesn't get excercised much but when she does . There are a few people in Northern California who have seen her in action. I have painted the front three times in 7000 miles because for some strange reason the paint keeps developing these little chips like someone used a sand blaster on her. Must be the animals that get into the garage at night.

I just can't see driving all the way to Nevada to do 120 - 150 mph. I don't have a full cage (although the rear is caged and it has door bars) or a fuel cell.

Besides R, you can rib me anytime.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:34 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by cjv
Hey R,

You are probably right, but I could probably enjoy a cup of coffee while I waited at 201 mph for you you to catch up and pass.

Killer Angel doesn't get excercised much but when she does . There are a few people in Northern California who have seen her in action. I have painted the front three times in 7000 miles because for some strange reason the paint keeps developing these little chips like someone used a sand blaster on her. Must be the animals that get into the garage at night.

I just can't see driving all the way to Nevada to do 120 - 150 mph. I don't have a full cage (although the rear is caged and it has door bars) or a fuel cell.

Besides R, you can rib me anytime.

Chad,

Couple questions that I have been meaning to ask. 1) how many miles does your car have on it? 2) What do you use as your daily driver, I never really here about your other cars, but, have heard you have some nice ones.

Lou

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring