6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Tuning/Modifications (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/tuning-modifications-27/)
-   -   KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/tuning-modifications/1112-ka-memory-my-mom-vincee-best-friend-michael-j-maring.html)

cjv 02-12-2005 05:20 AM

Originally posted by sharkster
dunno how you do it... in terms of waiting so long... I'm missing my car and it's only been down two weeks. ETA for her is prolly 3weeks... New rods, pistons, bearings and some more stuff...
sharkster.

We have goals and it takes time to attain those goals.:( The final result should be unlike anything out there today. :cool: This will truely be an exotic motor. By the time you have your motor back together we should be receiving our parts back from High Performance Coatings.

We will be applying HP Coating's Hi Performance Extreme coating to the headers, turbo hot side housing, and the face of exhaust valves.

The face of the pistons will receive the TBC coating while the piston skirts, valve stems and bearings will receive the SDF coating.

The valve springs will receive the SO1 coating.

The underside of the cam covers will receive the SO2 coating and the outside cam covers, intake from the TB to the head and the "Y" will see the Appearance Coating in a yet to be determined color.

Anyone interested in what this is all about can find information at www.hpcoatings.com Click onto Motorsports and then the different applications.

Now sharkster, back to your question. I do keep wondering who will be Killer Angel's first kill once she is back. ;)

cjv 02-15-2005 11:18 AM

We have decided to add some additional parts to the coating work being performed by HP Coatings. The intake valve, head combustion chamber and the head exhaust ports will also be coated.

The reason we are going through this added work is the larger intake mixing chamber, heads, valves, headers and turbo's. We expect a slight lag. Progressively using the proper amount of nitrous somewhere between 2600 and 4400 rpm's and then shutting it off once the turbo's start to spool we will have the best of both worlds. With the nitrous programmer the power on and off will be smooth throughout the rpm range. :)

sharkster 02-17-2005 12:51 AM

Originally posted by cjv
sharkster.

We have goals and it takes time to attain those goals.:( The final result should be unlike anything out there today. :cool: This will truely be an exotic motor. By the time you have your motor back together we should be receiving our parts back from High Performance Coatings.

We will be applying HP Coating's Hi Performance Extreme coating to the headers, turbo hot side housing, and the face of exhaust valves.

The face of the pistons will receive the TBC coating while the piston skirts, valve stems and bearings will receive the SDF coating.

The valve springs will receive the SO1 coating.

The underside of the cam covers will receive the SO2 coating and the outside cam covers, intake from the TB to the head and the "Y" will see the Appearance Coating in a yet to be determined color.

Anyone interested in what this is all about can find information at www.hpcoatings.com Click onto Motorsports and then the different applications.

Now sharkster, back to your question. I do keep wondering who will be Killer Angel's first kill once she is back. ;)

No doubt... I've been making some decisions based upon cost/time down and others and I don't think I'll ever go anywhere near as far as you have but I'm hoping my motor will last another 40k or so and be able to take a bit more abuse than it had before. Other than an intake and new fuel system I do really think I'll be done... Oh hang on maybe the tranny too lol....

I would place bets on who the first kill will be but then again I bet my car is down for something too lol....

cjv 02-17-2005 08:29 AM

No doubt... I've been making some decisions based upon cost/time down and others and I don't think I'll ever go anywhere near as far as you have but I'm hoping my motor will last another 40k or so and be able to take a bit more abuse than it had before. Other than an intake and new fuel system I do really think I'll be done... Oh hang on maybe the tranny too lol....

I would place bets on who the first kill will be but then again I bet my car is down for something too lol....

Alex,

I would add a couple more details while you have your motor apart. First I hope you are changing your oil pump to to GT3 dual pick up pump. This alone will help longevity. Especially the way you run it. Second, I would coat a few parts. In your case bearings, piston skirts and valve stems. ;) This will also help longevity. In addition it isn't very expensive to have done and it will only set your timetable back by two weeks.

cjv 02-17-2005 08:40 AM

Well, the parts are coming in and what happens but we need some additional parts. I'm really not sure anyone has has done what we are attempting to do. If so they don't talk about it. The parts are:

996-105-123-52 keepers
996-105-121-94 valve spring retainers
996-105-117-91 bottom retainers
996-105-461-93 shims

The motor and tuning completion is now looking like the middle of April.

K24madness 02-17-2005 06:36 PM

Originally posted by cjv

Forget the first kill lets talk about a new speed record for Anderson drive. That road has become the drag strip of SanRafael!!

cjv 02-17-2005 08:58 PM

Originally posted by K24madness
Forget the first kill lets talk about a new speed record for Anderson drive. That road has become the drag strip of SanRafael!!
K24madness,

Cars like these don't belong being exhibited on public streets. Drag strips and tracks ........ yes. Don't get me wrong, I am not telling you what to do. Free advise is worth exactly what it costs you. I just hope to God you don't have to kill someone to realize what I'm saying is true. It is something you will never forget. You can't turn back the clock and you will never forget their name. :(

cjv 02-19-2005 08:34 PM

Recieved some part shipments today. Now have the cam covers, tappets, springs along with one GT3 intake and exhaust valve to check piston/valve clearances with the modified cam. Still awaiting one GT3 piston along with keepers, shims and retainers. :) Hopefully we will have all the parts in about a week. :)

Once all the parts have arrived we will have one week mock up and machining parts, two weeks coating all the parts and then one week final assembly. Then off to a secret destination in So Cal for tuning.

When the tuning is complete, if there are any heavily modified street legal GT2's, 996tt's or Carrera GT's (stock or modified) down there that feel lucky let me know. Not interested in any street contests, however a track or strip comparison would be great fun. :cool:

Captain Tal 02-19-2005 10:56 PM

I can't wait to see this come together. This could very well be one of the greatest Porsche designed motors ever built.

cjv 02-21-2005 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Captain Tal
I can't wait to see this come together. This could very well be one of the greatest Porsche designed motors ever built.
Hey Captain, I really hope you are right. We have pulled all the stops and no improvement costs have been spared. :D On another note, Gert @ Carnewal (my favorite Porsche parts supplier) sent me an e-mail yesterday. They will have the balance of the parts, ready to ship on Monday. :D I have been dealing with Gert @ Carnewal www.carnewal.com for years. Good prices and exceptional service. Not be mention some of the friendliest people around.

It looks like we will have all the parts by 2-25-05. Should have the mock up and machine work complete by 3-04-05. Then most of the motor will be off to HP Coatings www.hpcoatings.com for two weeks of work and probably a week of shipping. This means final assembly should start by 3-25-05 and be completed by 4-01-05. Can you believe it, motor back in car on April Fools. :confused: From there it will be off to Southern California for tuning. :D Will have more news about this later. :D

cjv 02-23-2005 08:27 AM

FedEx now has the balance of my parts. Estimated time of arrival is 2-24-05. :D

sharkster 02-23-2005 09:08 PM

That's great news... Just got back my polished up crank (with a few extras) so it'll start going back together now:)

cjv 02-23-2005 10:17 PM

That's great news... Just got back my polished up crank (with a few extras) so it'll start going back together now:)
Alex,

Did you stay with your original crank or use the GT3 crank? What else did you do to the crank on addition to micro polish ........... balance, cross drill, knife edge, cryo treat, reduce journal diameter, stroke, nitrate?????

K24madness 02-23-2005 10:44 PM

Originally posted by cjv
K24madness,

Cars like these don't belong being exhibited on public streets. Drag strips and tracks ........ yes. Don't get me wrong, I am not telling you what to do. Free advise is worth exactly what it costs you. I just hope to God you don't have to kill someone to realize what I'm saying is true. It is something you will never forget. You can't turn back the clock and you will never forget their name. :(

You have NEVER exceeded the speed limit on a public road?

Rest assured the I pick my roads very carefully. The above mentioned road has a streach were there are no intersecting streets. I will not do speed runs when cars are coming the other way either.

That being said I do respect your concerns. I would not want to have to live with any harm done to others by any means.

cjv 02-24-2005 09:37 AM

Originally posted by K24madness
You have NEVER exceeded the speed limit on a public road?

Rest assured the I pick my roads very carefully. The above mentioned road has a streach were there are no intersecting streets. I will not do speed runs when cars are coming the other way either.

That being said I do respect your concerns. I would not want to have to live with any harm done to others by any means.

K24madness,

I wasn't criticizing, it's just the unexpected does happen. I am speaking from experience. It happened to me. :(