6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Tuning/Modifications (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/tuning-modifications-27/)
-   -   KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/tuning-modifications/1112-ka-memory-my-mom-vincee-best-friend-michael-j-maring.html)

K24madness 02-24-2005 10:34 AM

Originally posted by cjv
K24madness,

I wasn't criticizing, it's just the unexpected does happen. I am speaking from experience. It happened to me. :(

Sorry to hear that Chad. I won't ask for the details. Lets keep it behind you.

cjv 02-24-2005 08:19 PM

The parts have arrived @ FedEx in San Jose. Will pick them up tomorrow and deliver to Rob @ S Car Go Racing. :)

cjv 02-24-2005 08:51 PM

Things are looking better than I anticipated. Rob says if he has the parts tomorrow then the mock up will be completed by Friday. The parts will be overnighted to HP Coating by Monday. With any luck at all we should have them back in two weeks. Will have some great pics after everything is returned coated. :)

Zippy 02-24-2005 09:56 PM

You must be getting very anxious!

sticky 02-25-2005 02:56 AM

how much are the GT3 heads and can they be added to say a Stage 4GT car and make more power across the rev range without having to change anything else?

cjv 02-25-2005 07:16 AM

Originally posted by sticky
how much are the GT3 heads and can they be added to say a Stage 4GT car and make more power across the rev range without having to change anything else?
sticky,

I don't know the cost of the GT3 heads. I used GT3 Cup heads which are a little different as to the valve sizes. I bought a few sets before the Euro rose. I believe they were a little over $900.00 US apiece for a bare head.

Changing to GT3 heads on any turbo motor isn't possible without having to make other required changes. First, the turbo motor runs hotter and it is my belief the stock GT3 valves will overheat or burn. The stock turbo valves are a different size (smaller). The cam is different as is the dimensions of the cam housing. The lifters are different as they are designed for higher rpm's. Finally the ports are larger requiring a larger throttle body and intake from the heads to the throttle body.

To accomplish what you are looking for on a more economical basis has been done by TTP. The bare turbo head and the GT3 series head difference appears to be the size of the valve and the ports. TTP has taken a turbo head, ported it and installed larger valves. This avoids special intakes, cam housings, cams (use a regrind)and lifters. They ported the intake and installed a regrind cam. The motor is very strong. Ask EL750.

Actually, there is one other problem besides rods on these motors when you start entering the 600 to 700 rwhp range. The crank wants to move. Shuffle pinning is as important as changing the rods.

Sorry for all the depressing information.

sharkster 02-25-2005 05:36 PM

Originally posted by cjv
Alex,

Did you stay with your original crank or use the GT3 crank? What else did you do to the crank on addition to micro polish ........... balance, cross drill, knife edge, cryo treat, reduce journal diameter, stroke, nitrate?????

Stayed with the stocker... balanced, cryo treated, cross-drilled but didn't knife edge...

cjv 02-25-2005 07:58 PM

More homework. :mad: Delivered the parts to S Car Go today. The GT3 piston and valve looked very nice. At first look I had a concern as to weather there was enough meat on the Woosner pistons to flycut for the valves pockets. Those GT3 pistons really have some deep cuts. Luckly, the GT3 rods are a few mm's longer than the turbo's rods. :D

The other difficulity encountered was the valve length. We are using GT3 Cup heads. We had Manley (exhaust) and Forrea (intake) make the valves. We sent them the GT3 Cup valves to copy the dimensions. To complicate matters the GT3 uses hydralic lifters while the GT3 Cup uses solid lifters. We have decided to use hydralic lifters which were made to GT3 specifications because with solids we would have to pull the motor to adjust the valves and we didn't want to do that. We had our own made because we wanted a hydralic to redline a bit more than 8100 rpm's. We knew our valves had a slightly wider valve stem, however we were surprised to learn the GT3 valves are about 2 mm longer than the GT3 Cup valves. Thank God S Car Go ordered two GT3 valves for the mock up as the valve train dimensions must be exact. This means we will either use valve caps or make a new set of valves.

The long and the short is all the homework will be done by Monday. We'll have to wait until then. :)

One thing I almost forgot to mention. Our Manley and Forrea valves were manufacturered with dishes in the center of the valve. The stock turbo and the GT3 Cup valves are flat on the top. The GT3 valve's are lightened due to a cup being machined in the center by Porsche. Don't understand why Porsche machines the GT3 valves with a cup and leaves the GT3 Cup valves flat. There are more twists and turns to these motors than a old mountain road. :eek:

fasteddiett 02-25-2005 10:37 PM

chad,

you should be billing someone for your research time....

cjv 02-26-2005 04:57 PM

It lloks like the homework is going to take until Thursday of next week. Another piece of info. that I learned today. The GT3 exhaust cam will fit in the 996tt motor but the GT3 intake will not. :)

Monday, the Woosner 104 mm pistons are being sent to the machine shop for the final flycut. :D The stock bore on the 996tt is 100 mm. The extra four mm will make it a :confused: litre? The crank was stroked 2mm. Anyone know what KA's new displacement is? :cool:

sharkster 02-26-2005 05:44 PM

4.6l

sharkster 02-26-2005 10:01 PM

Originally posted by fasteddiett
chad,

you should be billing someone for your research time....

You should step up to the plate again and buy a "real" car... You know with turbos:)

sharkster 02-26-2005 10:02 PM

Chad I forgot to ask are you getting rid of Variocam? I assume so, right? Just like Jerry Woods?

fasteddiett 02-26-2005 10:18 PM

Originally posted by sharkster
You should step up to the plate again and buy a "real" car... You know with turbos:)
you mean like a 1989 930 turbo?:)

fasteddiett 02-26-2005 10:21 PM

cjv, just out of sheer morbid curiousity ...how much is this "project " going to cost ..... Or do we not talk about it :D