Tuning/Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 05-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Garey Cooper is on a distinguished road
CJV, still following all of this and having lots of fun doing so!

When you say the crank journal radius is small to take the raised redline, do you mean the crank lobs have been decreased in diameter? I am a little lost here on what exactly was done......

Old 05-21-2005, 08:43 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Garey Cooper
CJV, still following all of this and having lots of fun doing so!

When you say the crank journal radius is small to take the raised redline, do you mean the crank lobs have been decreased in diameter? I am a little lost here on what exactly was done......
Garey,

It is the large end of the rod that connects to the crank shaft. The 996/GT3 journals have a diameter of over two inches. We are using exactly two inches. Hope that explains it better.

Old 05-21-2005, 08:47 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Some additional information. Our pistons weigh 312 grams each.

Not sure anyone has an interest, however if you do, these pistons, wrist pins and rings are now available from S Car Go Racing. Contact Rob King for further information.

Old 05-22-2005, 01:24 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
sharkster,

The pistons have a 9.2-1 compression ratio. If you closely inspect the center of the piston you will see it ramps /crowns upward from the center's edges. We didn't want to sacrifice streetability and throttle response.

These pistons are the product of 3-1/2 months of work. They are intended to maintain quick response throughout the rpm range. They are designed to work with a 996tt case, GT3 crank, GT3 heads, valves and a high lift cam.

The case is very similar to the case most of us are using. Exception being it is a Spanish casted case that has been boatailed and machined for the three index GT1 oil pump. The GT3 crank has wider journals and in this motor it is lightened and the journals radius is smaller to accomodate a much higher redline. Using the GT3 crank and turbo pistons presents another challenge as the GT3 rods are longer. We made rods that utilized the turbo rod lenght and wrist pin width and the GT3 rod width with a smaller radius. The piston rings, wrist pins and locks were all made to spec. The piston design was not only dictated by the rod lenght, but is was also complicated by the higher lift cam.

To make matters worst, the piston material could not be the same aluminum 99+% of the 996tt/GT3 pistons use. The motor's designed maximum 2 bar boost coupled with nitrous will make for some extreme heat. The heads, head studs, pistons and valves have all been designed to accomodate this heat.

Oh, almost forgot ......... the steel liners are up to the task of coping with the heat generated by the compression, boost and nitrous combination.
Wow that's some PIA!!! I'm glad it's not me paving the way with this stuff... I wish it was ready by July 1st so you could come to the track event with it. However you've got PLENTY of other cars so how about you come along to it anyways? At worst you could also check out other turbos and give advice

Old 05-22-2005, 10:38 PM
cjv
Originally posted by sharkster
Wow that's some PIA!!! I'm glad it's not me paving the way with this stuff... I wish it was ready by July 1st so you could come to the track event with it. However you've got PLENTY of other cars so how about you come along to it anyways? At worst you could also check out other turbos and give advice

Alex,

Even if the motor was in the car .............. it wouldn't be broken in by July 1st. Actually, we are suppose to have all the internal motor parts back from HPC Utah by June 2nd. Won't have the turbo's and the headers back from HPC Oklahoma City until about June 15th.

I'll post some pics of all the parts prior to assembly.

Old 05-23-2005, 05:11 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Looking forward to those pictures Chad.

Old 05-24-2005, 10:00 PM
cjv
Originally posted by 03-turbo911
Looking forward to those pictures Chad.
03-turbo911,

HPC Utah should be returning the pistons and bearings by the end of next week. As soon as S Car Go Racing receives them, Rob King will start assembling the bottom end.

Old 05-24-2005, 10:37 PM
TT
TT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of light
CJV--

Sorry for the ignorance, but I have a few questions.. I have tried my best to stay awake and get through some of these pages but there are just too many!

1.) What are you trying to accomplish here? By the looks of it a porsche with 1000+ HP? Sounds like you had one awhile ago but had problems with the internals not being able to hold the power or something?

2.) How fast do you expect this car to be 0-60, 1/4 mile approximately when it is finished? What is the nickname for this car, what was the car origininally?

3.) And HOW LONG have you been working on this thing!? I wouldn't be suprised if you got over 50% of your post count in this thread lol

Thanks man! Seems like a very special project you are doing... would love to knoe more about it!

Old 05-24-2005, 10:46 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
Alex,

Even if the motor was in the car .............. it wouldn't be broken in by July 1st. Actually, we are suppose to have all the internal motor parts back from HPC Utah by June 2nd. Won't have the turbo's and the headers back from HPC Oklahoma City until about June 15th.

I'll post some pics of all the parts prior to assembly.
I hear ya- it's going to be some ways off... Well you're still invited to come/drive in any one of your "other" cars I'm sure there'd be plenty of people from the board that'd love to meet you in person anyways

Old 05-24-2005, 11:12 PM
cjv
Originally posted by rduffyt
CJV--

Sorry for the ignorance, but I have a few questions.. I have tried my best to stay awake and get through some of these pages but there are just too many!

1.) What are you trying to accomplish here? By the looks of it a porsche with 1000+ HP? Sounds like you had one awhile ago but had problems with the internals not being able to hold the power or something?

2.) How fast do you expect this car to be 0-60, 1/4 mile approximately when it is finished? What is the nickname for this car, what was the car origininally?

3.) And HOW LONG have you been working on this thing!? I wouldn't be suprised if you got over 50% of your post count in this thread lol

Thanks man! Seems like a very special project you are doing... would love to knoe more about it!
rduffyt,

This is only part of it. There was thousands of posts and replys prior to this on Rennlist and prior to that on Funcarsonline. The last motor had about 800-850 on stock internals. Yes, we had a little set back ......... we bent all six rods.

How fast we expect the car to be will depend on how much octane, boost and nitrous is applied. Anything below 1.9 and above 148 will be an improvement. The nick name is "Killer Angel" and she was a 3.6L turbo.

We have been working on her since she was delivered in July 2001. Alot of the posts don't get replies. Probably because once we started to modify the internals past the rods and the oil pump we were in an area most others would never go. I had offered to stop the thread but it seems to have a small following that wants to see what is being done and where we end up.

We are building a motor designed to hopefully withstand 1200-1500 hp with a redline just under 10,000 rpm's and be streetable. The upper end of the power band will arrive with about 2 bar and a 250 shot of nitrous. The everyday driving bar will be 1.1-1.2 bar and around 900 hp without any nitrous.

You know, everyone wants to look at KA's motor, but her weight reduction and handling really rounds her out and gives her alot more appeal to me.

Old 05-25-2005, 12:11 AM
TT
TT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by cjv
rduffyt,

This is only part of it. There was thousands of posts and replys prior to this on Rennlist and prior to that on Funcarsonline. The last motor had about 800-850 on stock internals. Yes, we had a little set back ......... we bent all six rods.

How fast we expect the car to be will depend on how much octane, boost and nitrous is applied. Anything below 1.9 and above 148 will be an improvement. The nick name is "Killer Angel" and she was a 3.6L turbo.

We have been working on her since she was delivered in July 2001. Alot of the posts don't get replies. Probably because once we started to modify the internals past the rods and the oil pump we were in an area most others would never go. I had offered to stop the thread but it seems to have a small following that wants to see what is being done and where we end up.

We are building a motor designed to hopefully withstand 1200-1500 hp with a redline just under 10,000 rpm's and be streetable. The upper end of the power band will arrive with about 2 bar and a 250 shot of nitrous. The everyday driving bar will be 1.1-1.2 bar and around 900 hp without any nitrous.

You know, everyone wants to look at KA's motor, but her weight reduction and handling really rounds her out and gives her alot more appeal to me.
Thanks for the nice detailed reply! Now I am an avid follower

Sounds like a nice project, already can't wait for it to be finished and to see pictures of teh actual car!

good luck!
Ryan

Old 05-26-2005, 09:47 PM
cjv
Thanks Ryan,

Not going to have any news until sometime between June 5th and June 10th. Then things should really start to pick up speed.

Old 05-26-2005, 10:18 PM
Basic Sponsor
Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !Evolution MotorSports Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
Possibly the most advanced 996tt pistons period. As one tuner put it ........... this motor is going to be brutal.

Designed for 1500 hp ........... and they are light due to type aluminum used.

All edges are radius'ed.
Maybe the second most advanced piston Glad they were able to make a set for you quickly. We had CP manufacture our engineed pistons last year and we have had great luck with them. We had a few pressure tested to 1580 HP! Those pressures are almost double what the OEM piston can handle. We should have our latest beast fired up next week and we will give that Tilton clutch a workout. Speak to you soon

F: 480.317.9901
E: info@evoms.com
Home of the Worlds Fastest 997TT Porsche(s)
997TT Standing Mile = 234.6 MPH
997TT Standing 1/2 Mile = 217.09 MPH
Fastest 1/4 Mile = 9.29 @ 172.7 MPH
60-130 MPH Time = 3.28 Seconds

Last edited by Evolution MotorSports; 05-26-2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:02 PM
cjv
Originally posted by Todd @ EVO
Maybe the second most advanced piston Glad they were able to make a set for you quickly. We had CP manufacture our engineed pistons last year and we have had great luck with them. We had a few pressure tested to 1580 HP! Those pressures are almost double what the OEM piston can handle. We should have our latest beast fired up next week and we will give that Tilton clutch a workout. Speak to you soon
Yes, Todd deserves credit for steering us in this manufacturer's direction.

Todd,

What I was refering to when I said most advanced was:

1) The exotic aluminum used so as to withstand the combined temperatures of the nitrous and the boost we specified. This ran the cost of the pistons up alot by itself. We could have gotten by with alot less expensive material.

2) The depth of the top ring in conjunction to the 9.2-1 compression ratio we are using. From what I have seen others have lowered their compression ratio alot more to get even more boost. We wanted to keep the compression ratio up to keep the throttle response up in the lower rpm's (2000 thru 3800). The design of the piston was derived from countless mock ups using our cams and the Woosner/Porsche GT3 pistons we used in our mock ups.

What compression ratio did you choose for your latest monster motor? Do you happen to have a pic that could be shared of the CP piston EVO designed? I realize certain things are proprietary, so if you can't that's OK.

3) The depth of the valve pockets to handle the larger diameter valves with a very radical lift. This motor is designed to turn just under 10,000 rpm's.

4) These pistons are not 100 mm, they are just a little bigger. We decided to use the 102 mm bucket size.

I believe we are using the same or very similar clutch. I wish you all the best with your new motor. EVOMS is kind of like Star Trek. To boldly go where no tuner has ever gone before.

Old 05-27-2005, 03:43 PM
K24madness is on a distinguished road
Chad it has been a pleasure following your car over the years. I have the luxury of seeing the build in person. Both you and Rob have been very resourceful in thinking outside the box. I have learned a lot about how far I can safely push my own car (993tt). Look forward to the results of all of your madness.

Todd please don't ever back off or Chad may lose his competitive spirt. I think both of you guys feed off each other.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring