Tuning/Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Old 04-23-2005, 02:34 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
Alex,

I just had a sobering experience. My oldest boy will be graduating from UCSB this year. I let him use my Dinan M3 during his last quarter. He called today and said he received a ticket in downtown Santa Barbara for a "modified exhaust." I called Dinan and asked what they knew about their exhaust being too loud. They said this would be a first. If this exhaust is too loud then most of the 996tt's would fail too. I told him to just take it to the inspection station as I believe this Sheriff's Deputy is a little off base.
Hi Chad,

I'm sorry to hear that but is there any way you could let me know what to do? Guess what... I got cited for that on my ticket in the EVO. What a load of ****. I guess I have to go to the inspection station too? Which one and where?

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2005, 08:54 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by sharkster
Hi Chad,

I'm sorry to hear that but is there any way you could let me know what to do? Guess what... I got cited for that on my ticket in the EVO. What a load of ****. I guess I have to go to the inspection station too? Which one and where?

Thanks!
The number I have is 800-622-7733. They can set up the appointment and tell you where the closest one to you is located.

Old 04-23-2005, 07:04 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
for modified exhaust, since it is a fix it ticket... u can go to any police station and they can sign it off.. i used to take my supra to a police station by my house, they would at times just sign it off without olooking at the car. and if they did looka t it they willa sk u to turn the mototr ona nd rev it a bit...

u dotn have to go to an inspection center per say.... unless it specifically says u have to ..

but please check it out, i dont know if the same rules applies to u guys in no CAL...

Old 04-23-2005, 07:55 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by 02barebones996
for modified exhaust, since it is a fix it ticket... u can go to any police station and they can sign it off.. i used to take my supra to a police station by my house, they would at times just sign it off without olooking at the car. and if they did looka t it they willa sk u to turn the mototr ona nd rev it a bit...

u dotn have to go to an inspection center per say.... unless it specifically says u have to ..

but please check it out, i dont know if the same rules applies to u guys in no CAL...
The law has changed. A police officer can no longer signoff a modified exhaust. You must go to an inspection center. This applies throughout all of California.

Old 04-27-2005, 07:11 PM
cjv
I am told the pistons are in production and will arrive early. Mahle just finished making the rings for us. The only item we are still awating is the wrist pins.

Rob @ S Car Go Racing says the bottom end will be assembled by the middle of May.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:51 PM
cjv
The wrist pins were ordered today from J&E. As for the pistons, we will have them in our hands no later than May 18th.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:55 PM
fasteddiett has a spectacular aura aboutfasteddiett has a spectacular aura about
hey chad,

Seems like they could build a new space shuttle in the time it is taking these guys to get your car done. I hope you are paying the bills upon completion of the project at intervals.... Your patience is something that I can not begin to understand.

ed

Old 05-03-2005, 10:09 PM
cjv
Originally posted by fasteddiett
hey chad,

Seems like they could build a new space shuttle in the time it is taking these guys to get your car done. I hope you are paying the bills upon completion of the project at intervals.... Your patience is something that I can not begin to understand.

ed
ed,

They have been around the horn a few times with the shuttle.

A few people have done GT3 type turbo motors using mostly stock GT3 parts. These motors will make some power ........... but for how long? The new KA motor has not only taken every part and made it stronger, but it has designed the motor to be more powerful and rev alot higher.

Basically we have stepped into the unknown. It could be the fastest tt in the world or it could be a bust. We'll never know if we don't try. I could have bought an Italian Exotic for what's into this motor.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:30 PM
fasteddiett has a spectacular aura aboutfasteddiett has a spectacular aura about
well you seem to enjoy the experimental part of it...
I just hope that thing turn out to meet your expectations...

Old 05-03-2005, 10:55 PM
cjv
Originally posted by fasteddiett
well you seem to enjoy the experimental part of it...
I just hope that thing turn out to meet your expectations...
Experimental as to being done on a 996tt motor ........... not in the motor world. Three pickup oil pump, stroker crank, reduced size rod journals, oval bearings, pistons/rods for highly modded GT3 crank and turbo pistons, super exotic metal valves and super exotic metal lifters etc................ all these parts took two to three sets each to obtain exactly what we were looking for.

We believe we have what we want now.

As for my expectations, whatever happens after the fat lady sings is fine. Whatever we get will certainly be more than can be used on the street. She will ultimately be detuned for street driving because after all she is a street car. She doesn't need to be faster than I can think or react. Most likely a low boost (.8 bar) 750-850 hp motor that will be extremely reliable.

Old 05-05-2005, 09:56 AM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by cjv

Most likely a low boost (.8 bar) 750-850 hp motor that will be extremely reliable.
lol i love this a low boost 750 hp car

i cant wait for ka to be done chad my goal is just to hit around 500rwhp and i ll be happy... my car is still stock im still deciding if going the noman's land route or go with bolt on package.. i remember that i had alot of fun doing a custom turbo setup onmy old old 87 supra turbo, it was pumping close to 500 hp at the wheels. not bad for a 20yr old designed 7mgte motor...

but before that i need to get a daily driver for the downtime the car willhave before turbo surgery

also chad who is doing the tuning? is scargo doing it too? r u guys just gonna use the current ecu or are you going witha standalon system ?

when is ka's expected completion date.,... any new pics to share for us lowly mortals

Last edited by 02barebones996; 05-05-2005 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:53 PM
cjv
barebones,

Sounds like you had a fun project.

S Car Go Racing is not going to do the tuning for the new motor. The tuning will be done by someone who has never tuned KA before. I'll be able to say more later on. We are going to attempt to tune the stock ECU, if that doesn't work, we will install a Motec system.

We expect to have KA finished by July 1st. The tuner is going to need two to three weeks.

Old 05-05-2005, 07:47 PM
cjv
Originally posted by red944
Congradulations to your son. may I ask what he will be getting his degree in?

One of my firends use to always get fix it tickets for his exhaust in his 95 black M3. But his brother had a 98 black M3 with stock exhaust. So what he would do is just switch the plates drive to the police station be like "hey look i got it fixed" then drive home and switch the plates again.

Im not sure what year your M3 is but if you want I can ask my friend if he still has his stock exhaust laying if your interested in it.

A modified exhaust ticket is pretty rare i think. If i remember corectly i read somewhere that the exhaust cant be louder then 96 dB and a maximum outlet diameter of 3". but dont quote me on this.
red944,

I wanted to let everyone know that we decided to fight the Santa Barbara Sheriff's Department's officer on the modified exhaust. I had my son take the car to the inspection station and challenge the officer's expert opinion.

It turns out the officer did not have a clue. He was a complete waste of my time and money. I believe it was harassment on the officers part. THE CAR PASSED.

Next I am taking this certificate to the judge to get it dismissed. I intend to write a letter to the Sheriff's department filing a complaint against this officer. What a waste of time. I hope the complaint sticks in his file.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:59 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
The same thing happened to me chad with my EVO. I got the sound test done and it passed so the guy was being a a-hole... not to mention he accused/harrased me for all kindsa other stuff.

Old 05-06-2005, 08:46 AM
cjv
Originally posted by sharkster
The same thing happened to me chad with my EVO. I got the sound test done and it passed so the guy was being a a-hole... not to mention he accused/harrased me for all kindsa other stuff.
Alex,

Write a letter filing a complaint about the officer. At the least it will go into his personel file. These files are used for advancement. Letters with proper back up do not look good in their files.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 90 votes, 4.16 average.

Quick Reply: KA - In Memory of my Mom (Vincee) and best friend Michael J. Maring