VW Touareg, Phaeton, R32 and other VolksWagen's

Mid Ohio May 2/3/4 PCA event; I meant to do this....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:24 AM
mxk116 has a spectacular aura aboutmxk116 has a spectacular aura about
Mid Ohio May 2/3/4 PCA event; I meant to do this....

Well, I figure if Kimi Raikkonen can drift when he isn't driving the Ferrari F1 car so could I.

Actually, this was a little too much throttle on exit after entering Turn 1 on an inside line after a pass in the Pit straight. A fellow who was positioned on the inside of Turn 1 caught this near 100 degree slide on the 2nd day of the HPDE I was attending the first weekend in May.

Thought someone other than myself would get a kick out of it. Turn 1 if done correctly is fast left hander under a bridge. In my car normally I brake from ~105 mph at the end of the Pit straight to about 80 mph to set the nose of the car for turn in at the entrance of corner. Depending on the line entering I feather on the throttle and let the car run out to the exit curbing on the other side of the track. By the time I hit the chicane it's flat out to ~120 mph and then hard braking into the Chicane before the Keyhole.

Well this is what happens when you are too far inside on entrance and get carried away with your right foot. Fortunately there were no side effects (no pun intended) to the off and I was able to catch it in time to straighten out on my way to the Chicane.

Wiiiiiiieeeeee... at least I got the cone on the exit.

Last edited by mxk116; 05-18-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Former Vendor
erik@sachssport.com is infamous around these parts
That is a great catch by the photographer! I was up there with you. Great car you have. I had a (previous) student that was talking about how cool your car is and how much you have done to it! Nice work.

What are other events you have planned for this year?

Last edited by erik@sachssport.com; 06-26-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:48 PM
mxk116 has a spectacular aura aboutmxk116 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by erik@sachssport.com
That is a great catch by the photographer! I was up there with you. Great car you have. I had a (previous) student that was talking about how cool your car is and how much you have done to it! Nice work.

What are other events you have planned for this year?
It was a very nice weekend and to have the good fortune of a photographer at Turn 1 to capture the fun was over the top.

What were you driving, the dark grey GT-R?

I wanted to go to Fundays at Nelson Ledges today but schedule would not permit it. There are 3 more in July and I should get to at least 1. I think there is a Viperdays event at Putnam in July I will attend. I will be at the NO BMW CCA event at Nelson Ledges on August 1 & 2. At Mid Ohio with NORPCA Oct 4 & 5. I want to go to VIR and Watkins Glen but haven't decided when.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Former Vendor
erik@sachssport.com is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mxk116
It was a very nice weekend and to have the good fortune of a photographer at Turn 1 to capture the fun was over the top. What were you driving, the dark grey GT-R?
It was a great weekend.

No I wasn't driving the GTR, that car is incredible though. I was driving the Orange BMW MCoupe mostly, as well as the White Jetta GLI, and the Yellow Boxster Race car before it broke.

My tenative plan is to do the PCA event at Putnam, MidOhio in August, Any event that is not cancelled at Bluegrass. Then I will be off to BMW's Oktoberfest. Then a couple more events that I can find before the end of the year but I haven't looked that far in advance yet.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:40 PM
L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !L8Apex Is a GOD !
That track is a ton a fun! Great pics..nice save?

I brought my wifes 80 Callaway Turbo to a BMWCCA event years ago and raised a few eyebrows. Good time.