Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cons of Powder Coating Rims ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 07:21 PM
ramone is an unknown quantity at this point
Cons of Powder Coating Rims ?

What are the Cons of Powder Coating your rims?

Ok we know that powder coating rims makes them more durable and less susceptable to chipping and wear but what are the negatives...

More Expensive than Paint ? Not as good looking as Paint ?

Please fill me in. Thanks

Old 03-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
I thought powder coating made the rims weaker. I am trying to recall the tons of threads on the issue. I went paint because I did not want to wait at least 6 months.
Here's my wheels.

Aloha

Byron

Old 03-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Secure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud ofSecure has much to be proud of
That looks nice Byron. What is the cost difference between paint and PC?

Old 03-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
Secure don't ask me I live on maui and everything is expensive . I can't remember but I am gonna guess it was quoted about $400 - $500 a wheel to powder coat on Maui. The problem was the time of 6 plus months. Hopefully someone in the mainland can chime in.

Byron

Old 03-08-2007, 09:34 PM
moto is a name known to allmoto is a name known to allmoto is a name known to allmoto is a name known to allmoto is a name known to allmoto is a name known to all
We powder coat our motorcycle wheels all the time for about $300/pair. We have to remove bearings and do other things that we don't have to do for car wheels. Turn around is about 1 week. I can't imagine it costing that much more for a car wheel...

Old 03-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned
skibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud ofskibum has much to be proud of
This shop in Tucson that I will be bringing my Mini wheels to charges $60 a wheel with a 4 day turn-around.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:22 AM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
I paid $80/wheel for powder coat - thousands of miles, no chips/no regrets. Used on track with no cracks or any issues

Old 03-11-2007, 09:27 AM
Former Vendor
Bisimoto is on a distinguished road
$100/wheel here in Los Angeles.

Byron, where did you get the black Porsche centre caps? Thanks.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Livo69 is on a distinguished road
I have had my 22" wheels powdercoated. Perfect finish, no blemishes, no cracking, no chipping.

If you paint your wheels, you will get chiping from rocks and debris. Powdercoating is a much stronger finish.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:37 PM
SGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the roughSGNTR35 is a jewel in the rough
whenever i dealt with powdercoat, the fade would be more noticeable. like i had black powdercoat versus black painted. the paint was alot more glossier and withstood better to fading

Old 03-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Bisimoto
$100/wheel here in Los Angeles.

Byron, where did you get the black Porsche centre caps? Thanks.
Sorry for the late response but I got the center caps from Lucent motors. They are a board sponsor to the right. They were a great price too.

aloha

Byron

Old 09-29-2010, 02:22 AM
dsingh8 is on a distinguished road
Hey man

Originally Posted by skibum
This shop in Tucson that I will be bringing my Mini wheels to charges $60 a wheel with a 4 day turn-around.
Yo bro, just moved to tucson and goto UofA, I got a benz and wanted to know a place to get my wheels powdercoated, let me know man.

here is my email- nicksodhi@gmail.com goes to my phone.

Thanks and sorry for any trouble

- Nick

Old 09-29-2010, 07:06 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dsingh8
Yo bro, just moved to tucson and goto UofA, I got a benz and wanted to know a place to get my wheels powdercoated, let me know man.

here is my email- nicksodhi@gmail.com goes to my phone.

Thanks and sorry for any trouble

- Nick
www.fastforwardwheels.com

Read under Process for Q&A regarding the pit-falls of PC vs. Hard-baked finishing....

-Eli

Old 09-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MikeVosseForged
Powdercoating is more durable but you cant color match...you would just be able to get basic colors ex.matte/gloss/black finish
Durable is not what I think is in question, it's how much you're willing to sacrifice to save a few dollars on your Porsche wheels.

It's more durable to have a a 50-lb front bumper but I don't think we would do that.... well at least not on the Porsche