997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PCCB’s Factory VS Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 03:12 AM
HRTC is on a distinguished road
PCCB’s Factory VS Aftermarket?

Can any one tell me why putting PCCB’s on your car in the after market is thousands of dollars more expensive than ordering it as an option from the factory?
<O
The option from Porsche is right around $8,600 (Installed)
<O
Suncoast has them for $14,900, WTF. That’s not including the price of install.
<O
I’m thoroughly confused……….
<O

Old 06-10-2008, 07:21 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
They've got to go through the distribution channels before reaching the consumer. At the factory, all that gets bypassed.

I read an article recently about if you were to buy a Jeep Cherokee (1990) parts and assemble it yourself, the parts alone would cost $50,000 not including labor whereas to buy one off the lot it'd cost about $12,000.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:56 AM
wbrownie has a spectacular aura aboutwbrownie has a spectacular aura aboutwbrownie has a spectacular aura about
You must also factor in that the $8800 is an "upgrade" from the steel brakes already priced into the car. So the factory "saves" the amount they would have spent on the steel brake kit.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:57 AM
turbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud of
The current official Porsche parts retail price list shows $18373 for a 997 "PCCB Brake Kit" and $20492 for a "PCCB Brake Retrofit". Not sure what the difference is, but it looks like the Suncoast price is a bargain.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:40 AM
SuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to behold
Yup, keep in mind that you have almost $6k worth of brakes on your car right now. Take the PCCB kit we sell, subtract what brakes you have, and you're roughly around the price of the factory "upgrade".

Old 06-10-2008, 09:52 AM
HRTC is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SuncoastSteve
Yup, keep in mind that you have almost $6k worth of brakes on your car right now. Take the PCCB kit we sell, subtract what brakes you have, and you're roughly around the price of the factory "upgrade".
Thanks for clearing that up. Can you tell me what a "PCCB Brake Retrofit" is???

Old 06-10-2008, 10:14 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Consider the Brembo brake kit before dumping silly money on retrofitting PCCB's. its lighter than stock and more powerful. Also has yellow calipers avaiable if thats your thing!

Old 06-10-2008, 01:39 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I may have to upgrade my brakes but as much as i like ceramics I might look into the other choices . Since I already have spent enough time and money on this car I will wait though. The stock steel brakes are outstanding but with 700Hp on tap I don't feel as confident with them as I might feel with a more advanced brake system. The ceramics are also designed for a stock Hp 997tt .

Old 06-10-2008, 01:48 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
A pad swap is all you may need, depends on a few things of course. Would suggest talking to a tuner with race experience, like GMG, for advice.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:11 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HRTC
<O
Suncoast has them for $14,900, WTF. That’s not including the price of install.
<O
I’m thoroughly confused……….
<O
Mod shopping is much like car shopping . Call different dealerships and make an offer (out the door price including install) to the parts manager . Just because something costs 14900 retail does not mean it must cost YOU that when you write the check .

Worst case scenario -- you keep your current brakes and your money.

You win either way . Cash is king !

Old 06-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by gmoney
A pad swap is all you may need, depends on a few things of course. Would suggest talking to a tuner with race experience, like GMG, for advice.
Maybe I'm just kinda bitten by the yellow caliper Brembo (larger) aftermarket brakes . From what i understand the stock brakes are a Brembo version too but I did look into price awhile back at at that time it wasn't bad but I felt no need then. It's still not an urgent pressing issue but might become a possibility at some point .

Thanks for the added suggestion though and will include it at the time .

Old 06-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Banned
GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !GT3Ranger Is a GOD !
As I read the multiple posts I do not get it.
Member yrralis1 was the only one to bring up Brembo.
You want more brake power, well I think it is insane to pay the aftermarket prices for ceramic brakes.
Go Brembo, the new set up is lighter than before. The new 16" front rotors with the monobloc aluminum 6 piston caliper and 15" rear rotor with 4P caliper is an awesome set. This set up fits in the HRE P40 19" rim.
I have this set up in my E60 M5 and love it.
You can buy this Brembo system for $7K.

GT3Ranger

Old 06-11-2008, 06:13 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
GT3Ranger - I think some people are really smitten by the ceramic this or cermamic that just like CF. Like you I would get the Brembo Kit and call it a day. Lots of the race guys pull off the Ceramics and put on Brembo's. Wonder why? I understand costs but the effective braking power of ceramics has never shown it to be better. It just causes less duct and the system is designed to wear out pads not the rotors.

Brembos FTW

Old 06-11-2008, 06:30 AM
SuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastSteve is a splendid one to behold
Most of the advice here is pretty spot on. The first question to ask is how much of a brake upgrade do you really need? I would safely say that half of 997T drivers will never need more braking power than they would get from a pad/fluid upgrade. Keep in mind that the most popular brake upgrade for 996T's is the 6-piston GT3 brake setup....which uses your stock rotors!

That being said, if you are reaching the limits of your stock brakes and want to do an upgrade to bigger/better brakes, there are quite a few options out there. Of course, PCCB's are amazing brakes, but the price of admission and upkeep is very high compared to the aftermarket. Each replacement PCCB front rotor is over a thousand dollars more than the entire Brembo 405mm front brake upgrade!

Shoot me a PM/email/phone call and I'd be happy to walk you through all the different options out there.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:43 AM
iwamas is on a distinguished road
are the pccb brakes that worth it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PCCB’s Factory VS Aftermarket?