997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PCCB’s Factory VS Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:32 PM
bluesea will become famous soon enoughbluesea will become famous soon enough
Brembo GT-R kit?

The Brembo GT-R's are around $13k, offer better braking and weigh less than the regular Brembo's for Porsche. They look better as well. I have them on my M5.

Alex at Shark Werks recommends them. I'd swap out my ceramics if I was tracking the car a lot but I love the lack of brake dust that allows my HRE C 21's to keep looking good as the days go by.

Last edited by bluesea; 06-27-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:00 AM
HRTC is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HRTC
Anyone know the weight's of the stock reds, brembo big brake kit, and the PCCB's? Currious to see which is lighter.
Anyone?

Old 06-28-2008, 09:23 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
PCCB = lightest followed by Brembo and then Stock. Dont have exact weights but the Brembo's do offer a nice reduction from stock.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:58 AM
997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute997 GT3 RS/TT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HRTC
Anyone?

http://www.cartech-muenchen.com/tuni...he/brembo.html

Old 02-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Alcyon has a spectacular aura aboutAlcyon has a spectacular aura about
http://www.systemst.com/ seller is www.movit.de

Last edited by Alcyon; 02-02-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:50 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
PCCB's are not worth the money unless you're going to enter the 24 hours of (insert name here).

StopTech all day over even brembo, then AP Racing and Alcon, then brembo.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I know this has been referenced before, but does anyone have any experience or opinion about the ceramics from Mov.it? They are in a more reasonable price range, have the great low weight of PCCB's, and to someone with a passing knowledge of materials science , have a superior construction technique.
http://movit.de/rahmen/applic.htm

Old 02-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Gary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by heavychevy

StopTech all day over even brembo, then AP Racing and Alcon, then brembo.
Care to explain how you came up with that particular list, in that particular order?

Old 02-03-2009, 08:06 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gary II
Care to explain how you came up with that particular list, in that particular order?
I may be mixed up in the order above brembo but I know that AP racing and Stoptech make better kits, alcon is great too. But from talking to guys that do pro series and pit crews from some of the larger PCA groups their opinions of brembo isnt all that great. And I've seen first hand guys with the huge brembo kits have loss of pedal after a few hard laps.

From what I've been told Brembo has dropped off in the real performance brake department since they started getting all these deals with the manufacturers. And while the kits are certainly the upper echelon of factory, they are not top of the line in the aftermarket any more. Too commercial.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:59 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
I may be mixed up in the order above brembo but I know that AP racing and Stoptech make better kits, alcon is great too. But from talking to guys that do pro series and pit crews from some of the larger PCA groups their opinions of brembo isnt all that great. And I've seen first hand guys with the huge brembo kits have loss of pedal after a few hard laps.

From what I've been told Brembo has dropped off in the real performance brake department since they started getting all these deals with the manufacturers. And while the kits are certainly the upper echelon of factory, they are not top of the line in the aftermarket any more. Too commercial.
Ceramics are not track brakes which is why track guys say they are a waste. The only waste is in the cost, but if you can afford them there is nothing better. i don't care what any aftermarket company says. The PCCB's are expensive and they will be expensive to replace but they are lighter and better then anything else. If you go aftermarket for track use and you buy Brembo then you are buying marketing. I have never looked into Stoptech, they were new on the scene along with moveit when I was into tracking. Alcon was always the top of the heap.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Gary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of light

That's an interesting series of opinions.

First, loss of pedal is primarily related to pad selection and brake fluid, so drawing a conclusion of the entire system based on that alone is a bit off base. I'd also be curious to know whether these are OEM Porsche brakes or aftermarket Brembo kits. The Aftermarket and Racing division brake systems from Brembo both improve cooling and guarantee lower operating temperatures which further reduces the chances of "loss of pedal" due to pad and/or fluid related issues. Seems to me that this opinion was based on some one who did not understand the functional order of the components that comprise a full brake system and was quick to blame the name on the caliper.

Secondly, assuming that Brembo's OEM development, and what you call "commercial" business, has any negative effect on the level of products they develop is a bit presumptuous. If anything it is the exact opposite. Brembo has been an OEM supplier for the last 25 years, and every year new innovations and manufacturing techniques produce better products, in terms of quality, performance, and longevity.

Originally Posted by JZRS4
If you go aftermarket for track use and you buy Brembo then you are buying marketing.
Brembo is a technology company, not a marketing company.
What most people perceive as marketing is simply Brembo's name being incredibly prominent in Motorsports, on television & in magazines, and as an OEM supplier for nearly every SuperCar and high end auto manufacturer around. These are all paying customers who achieve great results with the Brembo products. None of this is marketing that is paid for, and this has ZERO reflection on the cost of the product. With Brembo you are buying the R&D, technology, manufacturing ability, build quality, and overall performance that you would expect at that price level.

Brembo, AP and Alcon (not in any particular order) have all been forces in top level racing, and have each had some sucess with OEM develpment (Brembo obviously being the largest OEM producer). Outside of those three names, there is no one else who competes on any of those levels. AP and Alcon both manufacturer amazing aftermarket brake kits but have very little distribution support for those products in the US. Much of the aftermarket products that you see from those brands in the US are systems built by a 3rd party, and in many cases are a "mix-n-match" of components from various sources other than the name you see on the calipers.

Brembo may seem more commercial, but only because it has a fully functional High Performance division and distribution channel in the US. In no way has their quality or performance gone down, and I'm incredibly confident that anyone who currently has an aftermarket Brembo kit is very pleased with the performance and quality and will say the same. The latest addition to their aftermarket line is a series of Monobloc calipers that again has improved weight, stiffness, and longevity. This was no easy feat considering the current product line was already amazing in all three of those categories.

Last edited by Gary II; 02-03-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by JZRS4
Ceramics are not track brakes which is why track guys say they are a waste. The only waste is in the cost, but if you can afford them there is nothing better. i don't care what any aftermarket company says. The PCCB's are expensive and they will be expensive to replace but they are lighter and better then anything else. If you go aftermarket for track use and you buy Brembo then you are buying marketing. I have never looked into Stoptech, they were new on the scene along with moveit when I was into tracking. Alcon was always the top of the heap.
I think that's what most guys mean when they say waste as in waste of money when you can get the same or better braking from the aftermarket for much cheaper. I have no doubt that the 2nd Gen PCCB (as the first have gotten very bad reviews) are great brakes. I don't agree that there is nothing better and neither will most other people. There are better brakes out there than PCCB.

The other aspect of why they are a waste is that they don't give you any more stopping power than the steel units. The only way you'll get something out of them is going for an enduro (race) straight from the showroom and add some slicks. Other than that most all the new factory brake kits are overkill for daily driving, they can only be as good as the tires which they can easily overpower/

Originally Posted by Gary II
That's an interesting series of opinions.

First, loss of pedal is primarily related to pad selection and brake fluid, so drawing a conclusion of the entire system based on that alone is a bit off base. I'd also be curious to know whether these are OEM Porsche brakes or aftermarket Brembo kits. The Aftermarket and Racing division brake systems from Brembo both improve cooling and guarantee lower operating temperatures which further reduces the chances of "loss of pedal" due to pad and/or fluid related issues. Seems to me that this opinion was based on some one who did not understand the functional order of the components that comprise a full brake system and was quick to blame the name on the caliper.

Secondly, assuming that Brembo's OEM development, and what you call "commercial" business, has any negative effect on the level of products they develop is a bit presumptuous. If anything it is the exact opposite. Brembo has been an OEM supplier for the last 25 years, and every year new innovations and manufacturing techniques produce better products, in terms of quality, performance, and longevity.

Ok, you seem to work for Brembo or at least be a vendor, that sounds more like a sales pitch than actual experience. I'd encourage anyone who's driving to ask around and see what other guys are using and that's working the best. For me that will not be Brembo if I go aftermarket.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:37 PM
SRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud ofSRatha has much to be proud of
WAO!!! Movit has 459mm front brakes!!! what do you put those on? I'd like to put the 396MM on my front brakes tho.

*Edit, just found out what its far... having driven one of these elephants, I can vouch for the use of that massive brakes.
http://www.movit.de/images/hum0714.jpg

Last edited by SRatha; 02-03-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:22 PM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
I think stock steel system is quite good as well...I mean bigger or PCCBs brakes wont make you stop faster...cause type grip and phisics factor play important role as well...

I think is more that GT Brembos or PCCBs will last longer at the track...but here we dont have this problems...they work as good as PCCBs at the track...and dont fade quick...I dont know how many lap you have to do to make them fade...

and

WHY SPOTECH or any other brakes better them Brembo...

Also heard a story that one installed Brembos and they rotor wrapped at the track faster them stock steels...

Last edited by GT RUS; 02-03-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:27 PM
khaosai is on a distinguished road
Hi,

just seen some Brembo brakes nicely tucked up behind some Oz wheels on an F1 car a few days back.

In an ideal world it would be nice to try same the car, with different brake set ups, one after the other after a change of fluid. However thats not that realistic.

For me, and my type of driving, the steel brakes work fine so far.

Rgds.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PCCB’s Factory VS Aftermarket?