new 930 owner questions help?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 05:06 AM
zaidigonzo is on a distinguished road
new 930 owner questions help?!

Got a nice "STOCK" 84 930 turbo
"stock" because on full boost the boost gauge goes all the way to 1. dont know if its supposed to stop at .8. The turbo/cat conv/ intercooler and so on look stock. Also brake calipers are red. Dont know if that is stock too or just painted by PO. I am thinking of getting a rarly8 header+single outlet exhaust, wastegate pipe system but would like to see about upgrading the intercooler and turbo to KOKELN set up.
My questions:
1. Will upgrading to KOKELN turbo and intercooler require messing with the CIS system at all or the ignition system or upgrading to larger injectors, fuel pump etc??? Or will this just be a bolt on upgrade? I dont want to mess with those cause the car runs perfect as it is but of course need more power......
2. I would also like to add the widest fusch repro wheels that will fit front and back(I love those wheels) but dont know if it will require changing anything else.....

Im not looking for crazy power like changing crank, cams, efi,twin plug drilling, etc etc. Just wanted to see if these things bolt on without confusing the cars stock electronics and stock fuel delivery system......

Any input is greatly appreciated. I am new to Porsche and its my first(wanted this car since I was in 9th grade...38 years old now...long wait!!
BTW I am in the new port richie area in FL(just north of Tampa) so if anyone is from around here and wants to help a newbie come on by. BEER and food on me for anyone who wants to help ....
Thanks,
Allen

Old 12-12-2009, 05:10 AM
pics

Attached Images   
Old 12-12-2009, 07:14 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
The brakes you have look stock except that they are painted in red instead of their original color. I am not 100% sure but I believe you may be able to put the Kokeln intercooler and a stiffer wastegate spring (look into Automotion's website for this) and other minor upgrades without messing with your stock injection system.

Your car is an Euro version to begin with as it is an '84 so you may already have a little more power than an earlier US version or an '86 and up US version - who knows but maybe that is why you boost to 1 bar?

Old 01-01-2010, 05:25 PM
S4Drifter will become famous soon enough
I had an '87 and upgraded the turbos to k27's (getting old, I think that's what the upgraded turbos were). I then upgraded the intercooler to a Kokeln, with a 1 bar spring and TiAL wastegate. None of the upgrades in terms of ignition, fuel pump, CIS or anything that you mentioned were needed. I did run a boost controller just to keep myself under control.

I did also have B&B headers and exhaust (came with the car) which was more free flowing. (But the drone at from 2700 -3200 rpms sucked).

Its been four years since I sold her, so my apologies, if some of my tech lingo is off a bit. But overall, it was a straight bolt on operation. Good luck

Old 01-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Arnie1 has a spectacular aura aboutArnie1 has a spectacular aura about
I have been through this twice once with an 87 and now with my 89. The object is to get rid of the massive turbo lag. You already have a 1 bar spring which is not stock so somebody added that. I use an electonic boost controller to assure control of the boost pressure so I do not damage the engine. I have installed a light weight clutch and flywheel which makes a great diffeence in spool up time. I have installed headers and an exhaust. Whether you remove the cat and use a bypass pipe is your call since it is illegal in most states but can make a difference. Installing a larger turbo is a matter of taste and what you want. A larger turbo will spool up slowly increasing lag comapred to a smaller turbo. The benefit of a larger turbo is obvious when it finally comes on you better hold on. I kept the stock turbo and with my modifications have reduced lag to a minimum which significantly improves drivability. As for mufflers be careful some have a lot of drone between 3600 and 3200 rpms which would drive me crazy so I avodied the B&B.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Thumbs up

cool. Thanks. I am awaiting arrival of a B&B IC, 7006 K27 turbo and a wide band AFR sensor and guage as well as a fabspeed intake/filter. Once they get here I can start bolting on and see what happens. I have a rarly8 exhaust and wastegate pipe already here but waiting on rest of the parts. Also have to replace passenger rear wheel bearings(both and spacer) as it started making a terrible noise with the wheel spinning unrelated to the brakes so I think its the bearings....got a cv joint just in case too

Old 01-07-2010, 08:40 PM
GG386 is on a distinguished road
Looks like you got the bug . I can remember myfirst 930 just like it was yesterday- a year old 76 platinum turbo carrera. Flew down to Oklahoma with a radar detector for my carry on and drove her home- priceless.

My current car is a 87 that has the Koklen IC, HFS turbo, 1 bar spring, stainles exhaust and few other bolt on mods with no fuel enrichment with no issues at all. Most of the work was done before I got it, so some injector work may have been done, not real sure about that one. By all means do not get rid of your car, the depression that follows borders on clinical. They can be a handful at times but that's what keeps your mind right...

I noticed your down in Florida, I'm sure you know that the compressor in your engine bay is mainly there for decoration

Last edited by GG386; 01-07-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Thumbs up

yeah. The a/c not work but the blower does. Compressor says nippodenso(japanese?)

I just got a rennline strutbrace, K-27 HFS, Rarlyl8 exhaust and waste gate pipe, B&B intercooler, fabspeed air filter , innovative afr gauge and wideband O2 sensor and an Unwired tools DIGITAL WUR. Also a complete tune up kit from pelican parts with royal purple 20w50 max cycle oil and swepco tranny oil
Lets see what happens in the next few weeks while I figure out how to bolt this up and set my AFRs with a laptop ......
Hope it runs at least as good as before. It ran perfect but of course I had to go and upgrade stuff

Old 07-30-2015, 01:55 PM
ray martin is on a distinguished road
just wanted to know if anyone knows how to find out about a porsche 930 turbo martini if its a genuine one or not ?