My Performance Upgrade Agenda / Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 09:38 PM
kcphuah will become famous soon enoughkcphuah will become famous soon enough
My Performance Upgrade Agenda / Questions

After a lengthy wait, I am taking delivery of my 2015 911 turbo s next tuesday and i am planning for some basic performance upgrades and hope you can chime in. Thanks.

Exhaust - I will choose a valve controlled exhaust ie Capristo, Techart, IPE. Probably leaning capristo especially after seeing the clip from another member here.

Headers - Not sure if I should swap it now or later.

Software Tune - I always thought I would go GIAC when i take possession, but as I am reading through the forum and comparing which is a better fit, FVD also popped out. Long term reliability and retaining the porsche warranty is a major factor for me to consider, and apparently FVD tune is not easily detected by dealership. Which would you choose if you have to pick one and why?

Filter - BMC

Springs - H&R or KW HLS2. The latter is obviously a lift system and cannot really compare to swapping out the springs. But for those who had thought about the lift system, why did you go ahead or shy away from it? Care to comment on this please. I am having second thought on KW because the set is quite pricey.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:40 PM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
Exhaust and headers: I can't vouch for this personally but the rumor around here is that your car will negatively adapt to the exhaust without a tune. You will get an initial performance increase but the ECU will detect the change and de-tune to get back to stock power level. I'm a bit skeptical about this as I think that it's actually the owner adapting to the increased power and not noticing it as much over time. Who knows.

Software tune: I would personally go with GIAC but you should base the decision on your particular needs. You can't really "uninstall" the GIAC but you can flash it back to stock. Not necessarily the exact stock file that came on the car but more like back to stock power level. The dealer would have to make a deliberate effort to sniff out the change. See the discussion here https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-concerns.html

Filter: Why not?!

Can't comment on the springs. I will not be lowering my car since the southwest seems to be overpopulated with kamikaze rabbits that like to leap out in the road. I'm not convinced that a lowered car would even clear a dead one with the front lip extended. It's not worth the risk for me.

- Patrick

Old 10-26-2014, 09:10 PM
Former Vendor
TAGMotorsports will become famous soon enough
Congrats on the car!

So basically on my 991 Turbo S, I did not go with the TechArt Exhaust as it was not available at the time however it now is. We recently installed one and the sound was absolutely amazing. The Capristo sounds great as well however it is very raw, the TechArt seems much more refined. Also, the valved unit is much cleaner and uses the OEM Button in the cabin while the Capristo uses a wireless remote. I prefer the cleanliness of the TechArt button.

Regarding the KW HLS2 - I installed basically the same setup but the TechArt Variant (made by KW) and honestly the best mod I have ever done. The button for the noselift is cleanly put into the cigarette lighter. The 991 Turbo being as low as it is (even with the front spoiler retracted) the Noselift gave me the piece of mind that i wont be bottoming that out and having to replace a $2000+ spoiler (from what I am told at the dealer since for some reason mine blew right after taking delivery in stock form - compressor did not shut off and kept pumping air into the front spoiler and blew it - but thats another story hahaha).

Now I will say that I have done a ton of cars on the H&R's and the TechArt springs, so if you are comfortable with having to be a bit more careful, then go that route and save the money, if not - go with the noselift setup.

If you have ANY questions at all - please dont hesitate to ask. I will be posting a video of the TechArt exhaust in a few weeks when another client comes in for his build

Old 10-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback. If possible, can you post a sound clip of the tech art exhaust, I do like the clean install with the tech art as I believe you can wire it in to the sport plus button instead of a separate remote control.

As for the capristo exhaust, when valve is opened the rawness of the exhaust flow is quite intoxicated as well.

Originally Posted by TAGMotorsports
Congrats on the car!

So basically on my 991 Turbo S, I did not go with the TechArt Exhaust as it was not available at the time however it now is. We recently installed one and the sound was absolutely amazing. The Capristo sounds great as well however it is very raw, the TechArt seems much more refined. Also, the valved unit is much cleaner and uses the OEM Button in the cabin while the Capristo uses a wireless remote. I prefer the cleanliness of the TechArt button.

Regarding the KW HLS2 - I installed basically the same setup but the TechArt Variant (made by KW) and honestly the best mod I have ever done. The button for the noselift is cleanly put into the cigarette lighter. The 991 Turbo being as low as it is (even with the front spoiler retracted) the Noselift gave me the piece of mind that i wont be bottoming that out and having to replace a $2000+ spoiler (from what I am told at the dealer since for some reason mine blew right after taking delivery in stock form - compressor did not shut off and kept pumping air into the front spoiler and blew it - but thats another story hahaha).

Now I will say that I have done a ton of cars on the H&R's and the TechArt springs, so if you are comfortable with having to be a bit more careful, then go that route and save the money, if not - go with the noselift setup.

If you have ANY questions at all - please dont hesitate to ask. I will be posting a video of the TechArt exhaust in a few weeks when another client comes in for his build

Last edited by kcphuah; 10-26-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:28 PM
Former Vendor
TAGMotorsports will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by kcphuah
Thanks for the feedback. If possible, can you post a sound clip of the tech art exhaust, I do like the clean install with the tech art as I believe you can wire it in to the sport plus button instead of a separate remote control.

As for the capristo exhaust, when valve is opened the rawness of the exhaust flow is quite intoxicated as well.
You are correct, my apologies - it just works directly with the "Sport/Sport+" button - thats when the valves open up.

Here is a clip of the 991 Turbo S, with TechArt Powerkit & Exhaust

Give us a ring, or shoot me a PM for more information!

Old 10-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Jeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud of
i have no experience with TechArt. I know their name and reputation seems solid. I have installed the tubi catless system that was way to obnoxiously loud and then went to euripipe and i am thrilled with their product. its perfect to me in every way. 100 sport cell cats and at idle slightly more aggressive and decel pops very melodic not like a fire*******. exhaust A+ in my opinion
IPD plenum no question best bang for the buck
GIAC has been a pleasure to work with and just forwarded to my local vendor the stage 2 file free of charge as a paying stage 1 customer.

car seems VERY fast. I really need to do some numbers at the track. I can say that my car on race fuel stage 1 going 55 on the x-way jason verlander hit it in his aventador speedster,his wing went up i then mashed my throttle and had to change lanes or I would have rammed up his butt....same mods using race fuel and giac stage 1 race program. Today i installed the stage 2 software good for 30-50 hp/tp more in race mode and its my more agile nimble and responsive. i will be getting on it tomorrow for more impressions.
bmc filter yup nice filter

Old 10-30-2014, 05:10 AM
AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !AJag Is a GOD !
Jeff what does the stage 2 GIAC require, just exhaust or intercoolers as well?

Old 10-30-2014, 08:17 AM
Jeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud ofJeff Kay has much to be proud of
my understanding is just an aftermarket exhaust. If u have the ipd plenum all the better. Austin would be the one to chime in on this. About to go play with it now

Old 10-30-2014, 08:18 AM
I mean for just the cost of the dealer to do the 1 hour install its a free GIAC upgrade if you already paid full price for stage 1
no brainer

Old 10-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Jeff, thanks for the feedback. Have you done a dyno on how much hp / torque based on your current set up. Seems like your current setup is very similar to my want to do mods.

Now the car only 24 km and i am pondering if i should do the mods after break in at 3000km or not. Based on my current schedule it would be 4 - 5 months from breaking in.

Originally Posted by Jeff Kay
I mean for just the cost of the dealer to do the 1 hour install its a free GIAC upgrade if you already paid full price for stage 1
no brainer

Old 10-31-2014, 07:11 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Old 10-31-2014, 05:49 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AJag
Jeff what does the stage 2 GIAC require, just exhaust or intercoolers as well?
The only required upgrade with stage 2 is a turbo back exhaust system with high flow cats (or test pipes).

Old 10-31-2014, 09:23 PM
kodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to beholdkodiakz is a splendid one to behold
So with turbo back and sport cats, 91 octane what kind of gains with stage 2? are you guys going to sema?

Last edited by kodiakz; 10-31-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:36 PM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kodiakz
so with turbo back and sport cats, 91 octane what kind of gains? Are you guys going to sema?
yes, thisss!!

Old 11-05-2014, 08:07 AM
AbuDhabix will become famous soon enoughAbuDhabix will become famous soon enough
i would probably recommend equal length headers by ESMOTORS ... these are the guys who currently hold the world record for a 991 TTS 10.50 @ 209 km/hr.