Rattle fix 991 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:29 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
In the past, I've bought self-adhesive felt at craft stores like Michael's which works well at providing a cushioned barrier between rubbing parts. I also once had a rattle in a BMW headliner, so I pulled it down and shoved a paper towel between it and the roof. My GF recoiled in horror when she saw me do it, and I asked her, "do you think the BMW mechanic will use a higher quality towel? I think not." Hey, it worked.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:47 PM
fbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to beholdfbroen is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by @last
Mine had a small rattle too. Comes off easily. Just watch out for small plastic clear grommets. They can fall in the body work. There is also a orange material attachment you just lift the clip up with a small flat screwdriver and then you can pop it out. Basically was the metal clips that rattle. Not 100 % gone but way better. Only every now and then it's back.
Had the side cover off. Thx again for the pointers. Taped all the clips with some rubber electrical tape so as to keep them under constant tension. Also inserted some pieces of printer packaging foam in select places behind the panel, again to keep things in slight tension.

Turned on Sport Chassis and drove some bad roads and .... sucess! Quiet as a church mouse.

Thx again!

Old 08-01-2014, 08:21 PM
mdk888 is a jewel in the roughmdk888 is a jewel in the roughmdk888 is a jewel in the roughmdk888 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by @last
1 sunroof... Placed some felt under the steal frame rim you can see when roof is open and presto rattling sun roof solved. Used an old credit card to lift the frame and a flat head screw driver to slide felt in.
If someone doesnt mind and knows how to do this, can you post maybe a video or pics on how to do this? I am not exactly sure what needs to be done here, and I would like to try it myself to fix the sunroof rattling. I tried poking around and had no luck. Thanks.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:45 AM
@last will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mdk888
If someone doesnt mind and knows how to do this, can you post maybe a video or pics on how to do this? I am not exactly sure what needs to be done here, and I would like to try it myself to fix the sunroof rattling. I tried poking around and had no luck. Thanks.

Here we go. Pics of the sunroof. Felt and the sponge tape I used. No problems since I did this and the dealer took a week and it came back ... Been good for a while now.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	398214  

Last edited by @last; 08-02-2014 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Photo update
Old 08-02-2014, 11:56 AM
@last will become famous soon enough
Sunroof pics

A pic if the sponge tape. This was the main contributor to solving the rattle.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	983.3 KB
ID:	398215  
Old 08-02-2014, 09:19 PM
dogshyne is on a distinguished road
mine rattles where the slider is inside of the track at full open position

I'll see what the dealer can do on Monday.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:51 AM
dkmesa is an unknown quantity at this point
@Last - thanks so much for the post. I disassembled my mirror button last night and put some foam around the barrel. No more rattling button.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:02 PM
D_T_A is on a distinguished road
Could I ask you how to remove the mirror botton assembly from the door? Does it require removing the door panel?

Old 02-05-2018, 07:37 AM
dkmesa is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by D_T_A
Could I ask you how to remove the mirror botton assembly from the door? Does it require removing the door panel?
It has 4 metals clips retaining securing it to the door panel. Even if you could pop it out with the panel on, there won't be enough slack in the wire harness to unplug it to total release it from the car. Once you get the door panel off and remove the switch panel, there will be 4 torx screws holding the bottom of the switch mechanism on. When you reassemble that, be sure you do not overtighthen the torx screws or it will not allow the buttons to operate correctly.