Rattle fix 991 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 01:38 PM
@last will become famous soon enough
Rattle fix 991 911

Hi guys.
So I'm new here and thought I'd give back a little since your posts all helped me.

I'm an anti rattle freak so here are a few fixes I have found for my 991

1 sunroof... Placed some felt under the steal frame rim you can see when roof is open and presto rattling sun roof solved. Used an old credit card to lift the frame and a flat head screw driver to slide felt in.

2 side mirror adjustment button. Popped it out the door cover Took the whole unit apart. Placed a small piece of sponge around the button shaft on the inside of the unit put it back together rattle gone.

3 air bag plastic cover on door frame. Took it off some felt tape again against the edge. Popped or on and no more speaker rattle. Oh I also pushed some sponge in where the door touches some electronic unit you can see when this cover is off.

4 rear quarter windows ... Again remove b pillar. Loosen bolts. Window pops out. Some of that magic felt tape. Windows back in ... No more rattle.

5 also dry lubed some clips around the car here and there in the trim. Squeaks and rattles gone. Even the seat leaver to lift the seat rattles... Some dry lube again solved it.

For now she is as quiet as my 3 year old BMW x3 35i. ....Porsche thats a hint. Please make your cars rattle free like they do. I have owned several and they never rattle even after 5 years. My Porsches always rattle ...damn!!!!

Hope that helps guys !

Later...

Old 03-18-2014, 09:44 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
thanks!

Rattles annoy me too. It is amazing what some ingenuity and some felt can do!

Old 03-18-2014, 09:55 PM
runner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to beholdrunner1021 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the tips - sounds like you've got rattle eradication down to a science. Curious if your rattles developed over time or were basically there from new.

After a year and 8000 miles mine is still rattle free with the exception of the metal sunroof when open.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:40 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Wow, amazing work!

Any idea on a rear seat rattle?
To me it sounds like the rear seat latches as well as the the rear seat backs rubbing against each other.

Am I mistaken and it's possibly the rear quarter windows?

Old 03-19-2014, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by runner1021
Thanks for the tips - sounds like you've got rattle eradication down to a science. Curious if your rattles developed over time or were basically there from new.

After a year and 8000 miles mine is still rattle free with the exception of the metal sunroof when open.
Yup it rattled from day one sadly…i previously had a Cayman R and it did the exact same thing, to be honest I took it in so many times that the last time i dropped it off and walked out with a 911. ha!! but sucks the rattles were still there luckily not as bad as the Cayman R though.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by lunarx
Wow, amazing work!

Any idea on a rear seat rattle?
To me it sounds like the rear seat latches as well as the the rear seat backs rubbing against each other.

Am I mistaken and it's possibly the rear quarter windows?
I would try get someone to sit against the seat and see if that stops it if so then at least you know where its coming from. I though the same of mine and it turned out to be the window. happy rattle hunting

Old 04-14-2014, 10:42 PM
Go123 has a spectacular aura aboutGo123 has a spectacular aura about
Can you provide the supplies you used, which magic felt tape, what is dry lube and how do you use it? Thanks Go

Old 04-14-2014, 11:26 PM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
I am having problems with a buzzing sound from the seat belt mounts in the B pillars. Are the b pillar covers easy to remove without snapping clips?

Last edited by wanderfalke; 04-14-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:26 AM
@123go

Originally Posted by Go123
Can you provide the supplies you used, which magic felt tape, what is dry lube and how do you use it? Thanks Go
hi dry lube is like a graphite paste, i used the dry lube i use on my MTB chain, you can get it at any hardware store.

here i a link for one http://www.cyclocrossworld.com/wd-40-bike-dry-lube

the felt tape is difficult to find, if you can get try ordinary felt pads and cut them to size, (see the link get the large square on and you can cut it into strips ) again a hardware shop should have, you usually use it under furniture to stop it scratching the floors.

http://www.brass-castor-shop.co.uk/S...-Felt-Pads.asp

Old 04-15-2014, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by wanderfalke
I am having problems with a buzzing sound from the seat belt mounts in the B pillars. Are the b pillar covers easy to remove without snapping clips?
yup its easy. there is a clip on the top to middle area on the left inside of the pillar you just need to be careful with this one, you actually need to pry it out i found or try slide the cover to the right when all the other clips are loose, the others come out super early. i had the same buzz turned out to actually be the clips buzzing in the housing stretched them open put a bit of prestik to help hold them in place in the housing and rattle was gone.

don't know if you guys have prestik in the US i remember when i was there in the early 2000 you did not have it. its a south african product i think, i know the UK has it too.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by wanderfalke
it clip no 6 in this pic, that the one you have to be careful with.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-04-15 at 8.35.37 AM.png
Views:	646
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	360011  
Old 04-15-2014, 08:25 AM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
Thanks @ last

Old 04-15-2014, 08:52 AM
nash667 has a spectacular aura aboutnash667 has a spectacular aura about
Anyone here getting annoying squeaks from the seat belt buckle? It just started happening recently.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nash667
Anyone here getting annoying squeaks from the seat belt buckle? It just started happening recently.
Yep, passenger side whenever my wife is in the seat. She's not big at all, if that's your first thought. In just live with it as I travel on a damned brick road that tends to make everything loose or rattle.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Go123 has a spectacular aura aboutGo123 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by @last
hi dry lube is like a graphite paste, i used the dry lube i use on my MTB chain, you can get it at any hardware store.

here i a link for one http://www.cyclocrossworld.com/wd-40-bike-dry-lube

the felt tape is difficult to find, if you can get try ordinary felt pads and cut them to size, (see the link get the large square on and you can cut it into strips ) again a hardware shop should have, you usually use it under furniture to stop it scratching the floors.

http://www.brass-castor-shop.co.uk/S...-Felt-Pads.asp
Perfect, I already have bike chain lubricant. I lubed the noisy lever, can already tell its better, I may need to do it every so often now. Im gonna let the dealer try to sort out some of the rattles before I try. Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rattle fix 991 911