Beware of premature failure of Porsche PCCB ceramic brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:54 PM
jimmy348 is just really nicejimmy348 is just really nicejimmy348 is just really nicejimmy348 is just really nice
Beware of premature failure of Porsche PCCB ceramic brakes

Just a heads up for anyone contemplating buying a new Porsche, the PCCB ceramic brake rotors on my new Porsche 911 Turbo S burned out prematurely at 12,000 miles. The repair cost me $10,000 because Porsche refused to honor their warranty.

For those of you looking for more details, I have described my experience at length in a blog post at http://jimmy348.blogspot.com/.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Curious to see where this goes. Did you actually mention that you had tracked the car multiple times? I may or may not be correct in saying this, but I don't think that is the wisest admission when you are dealing with premature wear-- especially with brakes.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear about this issue but I'm not surprised. I was categorically advised not to get pccbs by someone owning 911's for many years and man what a great decision it has been.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:11 PM
jimmy348 is just really nicejimmy348 is just really nicejimmy348 is just really nicejimmy348 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
Curious to see where this goes. Did you actually mention that you had tracked the car multiple times? I may or may not be correct in saying this, but I don't think that is the wisest admission when you are dealing with premature wear-- especially with brakes.
Yes, I told the dealer about the track days. I saw no reason to hide the truth because:

- The dealer was well aware of my limited track day plans and saw no problem with that. In fact, they were as shocked as I that the brakes burned out and disagreed with PCNA’s warranty denial.
- The marketing literature bragged about the heat resistance of PCCB, so I saw no reason to be worried ahead of time.
- The only warnings about brakes and track days in the owner’s manual was to get the brakes inspected before each event. I did this religiously, and no problems were found until the rotors failed.

BTW this issue is water over the dam, and I’m stuck with the repair bill because the car was a lease. So a switch to steel was not an option.

Going forward, my path is clear. A pair of replacement PCCB rotors cost $8000. The same rotors in steel are around $400. In my mind, PCCB are not 20 times as good as steel. Therefore, I intend to vote with my checkbook. Until Porsche installs brake temperature sensors and an on-off switch for torque vectoring, I intend to take my business elsewhere.

Porsche’s competitors already offer or will soon release some worthy alternatives; e.g. Jaguar F-type, Maserati Alfieri, the next generation Audi R-8, Nissan GTR and McLaren 650S and P13. I am particularly excited about the Mercedes-AMG GT. Its interior looks stunning. You can Google the teased photos.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:24 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jimmy348
Yes, I told the dealer about the track days. I saw no reason to hide the truth because:

- The dealer was well aware of my limited track day plans and saw no problem with that. In fact, they were as shocked as I that the brakes burned out and disagreed with PCNA’s warranty denial.
- The marketing literature bragged about the heat resistance of PCCB, so I saw no reason to be worried ahead of time.
- The only warnings about brakes and track days in the owner’s manual was to get the brakes inspected before each event. I did this religiously, and no problems were found until the rotors failed.

BTW this issue is water over the dam, and I’m stuck with the repair bill because the car was a lease. So a switch to steel was not an option.

Going forward, my path is clear. A pair of replacement PCCB rotors cost $8000. The same rotors in steel are around $400. In my mind, PCCB are not 20 times as good as steel. Therefore, I intend to vote with my checkbook. Until Porsche installs brake temperature sensors and an on-off switch for torque vectoring, I intend to take my business elsewhere.

Porsche’s competitors already offer or will soon release some worthy alternatives; e.g. Jaguar F-type, Maserati Alfieri, the next generation Audi R-8, Nissan GTR and McLaren 650S and P13. I am particularly excited about the Mercedes-AMG GT. Its interior looks stunning. You can Google the teased photos.

Fair points. Yet another reason (if we needed more) against PCCBs.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:51 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Sorry to hear. Interested to see if PTV is the reason why.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:05 AM
frank69m has a spectacular aura aboutfrank69m has a spectacular aura about
Hmmm..You seem to be new here. Also, you have 12k on a Turbo S? Is it a 991? If it isn't why post here?

Also, I highly doubt, although possible, it is a 991 Turbo S because

1) Its too new to have 12k
2) If you did lease a Turbo S, it would be only a few months old and you have limited mileage limits on it so who would put 12k on it in a few months.

You might want to post in another non-991 forum if that is the case.

Also, wouldn't like to buy your car after you are done with your lease :-)

Last edited by frank69m; 04-21-2014 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:20 AM
STALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to beholdSTALKER is a splendid one to behold
Sorry to hear about your situation.

I have heard over many years from ppl who have PCCBs, especially on Porsches that they need to be heated and cooled down for track use gradually. Additionally the stock pads should be replaced with Porsche track pads, which I think are Pagids.

I track my car as well and for these reason would not consider PCCBs. Steel rotors, Castrol SRF and Pagid rS29s are perfect for track use.

I guess you are stuck with PCCBs though since you have a Turbo S.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:31 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by frank69m
Hmmm..You seem to be new here. Also, you have 12k on a Turbo S? Is it a 991? If it isn't why post here?

Also, I highly doubt, although possible, it is a 991 Turbo S because

1) Its too new to have 12k
2) If you did lease a Turbo S, it would be only a few months old and you have limited mileage limits on it so who would put 12k on it in a few months.

You might want to post in another non-991 forum if that is the case.

Also, wouldn't like to buy your car after you are done with your lease :-)
His post with details states:

"Included in these miles were 900 miles of track driving plus 3000-4000 miles of sporty driving in the hills near my home"

Sounds like expectable track use wear to me.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:33 AM
MayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud of
I suspect the failure had something to do with his use of Ariel.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:30 AM
moje911 is on a distinguished road
Question: Are lease cars permitted to be tracked?

I understand ceramics to provide fade-free braking that is more linear, where longevity may not be a trait.

900 track miles is over 200 hot laps, plus the DD miles.

It is a consumable like tires and oil.

Last edited by moje911; 04-21-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:36 AM
MayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud ofMayorAdamWest has much to be proud of
I just don't understand why anyone would want to buy the PCCBs (or CCB on any car). They are prohibitively expensive. Sure they last longer, but at some point (apparently as soon as 12k miles) you're going to get hit with a 10k charge. It also lowers the resale value.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by moje911
Question:
Are lease cars permitted to be tracked?

I understood PCCB to provide linear braking, not long lasting, and to be a consumable such as tires.

991 911/50 C2S 7MT PDCC SPASM Powerkit
Not sure if the contract itself has fine print regarding track/race time for cars, regardless of a lease or a purchase. Either way, it's the warranty coverage that is the issue, not outright "permission" to track.

Another issue track guys overlook is insurance coverage. You're rarely covered under your current plan, and that becomes a huge problem if you have an accident on-track. A P-car guy paid WSIR and his tow guy a hefty amount to mark his car "towed" just outside of town, masking the fact that his accident happened while racing.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:00 AM
moje911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
Not sure if the contract itself has fine print regarding track/race time for cars, regardless of a lease or a purchase. Either way, it's the warranty coverage that is the issue, not outright "permission" to track. Another issue track guys overlook is insurance coverage. You're rarely covered under your current plan, and that becomes a huge problem if you have an accident on-track. A P-car guy paid WSIR and his tow guy a hefty amount to mark his car "towed" just outside of town, masking the fact that his accident happened while racing.
I was asking because I question that it is in the spirit and letter of leasing to use it in extremes. Let's say I buy the car after it is turned in and then the issues just start to surface. Then I start to make videos like Nick- who is to blame?

There are organizations that rent cars for trackdays. Point being, should this post be here, with a blog?

OP was forthcoming, but he is not renting a track car, but leasing a car to be turned in with reasonable wear and tear to match its residual.
In hindsight OP realizes that they are not exponentially better as the cost is, but did he expect to turn the car in tracked, without new pads/rotors?

Just from my limited research, I've learned a bit about rotors and track demands and expenses. Nothing lasts forever, especially when beaten on.

Last edited by moje911; 04-21-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:15 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
What % of brake pad wear were on the rear pads when you started tracking?

Did you check your rear pad wear before each event?

Were you driving with traction control/PSM/etc. on?

What did the rotors look like? Please post a photo.

What is your habit when it comes to cool down laps?

Which pads were you using? OEM or other?

All of these things are important factors in the longevity and care of PCCBs...especially % pad wear in the rear.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Beware of premature failure of Porsche PCCB ceramic brakes