993 Last generation normally aspirated aircooled Porsche 911. Community includes the C2, C2s, C4, Targa, C4s and cabriolet discussion.

Tall guy+993=?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:32 PM
quattrotman is on a distinguished road
Tall guy+993=?

Hey guys,
I've been lurking over in the Cayenne forums since I bought on 2 years ago. I absolutely love it but I just can't get my mind off a 911. I'm thinking of buying a 993 because it's the last air-cooled version and, to me, the best looking 911 there ever was. I've toyed with getting a 996 turbo or 997 but I think a mint C4S is really what I always come back to. I've never driven one though. I've been in plenty of newer ones and older 911s (they were a bit tight). How do you taller 993 owners fit in them. I'm 6'3" 250lbs. Am I going to have legroom problems...particularily between the steering wheel and shifter? Headroom is probabl going to be fine but I'm concerned about legroom. I'd obviously like to sit in one but I'm having trouble finding any for sale locally. If any of you taller owners have some insight I'd appreciate it. Also, can the rails be easily modified to bring the seat back further?

Old 06-28-2011, 12:55 AM
Leejai is on a distinguished road
Like other 911's, they sit pretty upright. I'm 5'11", but legs for 6'1". While it took me a while to find the right position, it's safe to say I fit quite comfortably.

I have noticed 2 things however, 1) I tend to shift into my passenger's knee at times if they're too tall and 2) I've had to adjust quite a bit to avoid my knee hitting the steering wheel. As I've a 996 3-spoke steering wheel, it's quite large. I have thought about buying an aftermarket smaller one at times and might still do.

I've not had issues with my knee and the shift ****.

Hope this helps and good luck w/ your search.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:59 AM
fineito is on a distinguished road
I'm 6'4", 230lbs, and fit in my 96 993 C2 just fine, though there is little extra room. Headroom, legroom is fine even with the sunroof. I notice that my leg interfers with the gear shift only in reverse gear (minor quibble with the short shifter). I think there is a good chance you could find a comfortable position. There are many sedans where I have less head room. Good luck.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:25 PM
quattrotman is on a distinguished road
Thanks a lot for the input guys. I suspect it'll be fine but I'm obviously going to need to find a car to test drive. Ultimately, I'll be buying my car stateside because they are more prevalent and cheaper than in Canada. That will mean I won't be able test drive what I buy. I was mostly curious about legroom and if the rails can easily be altered. The search will go on!

Old 07-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
6'4" and 190 and fit fine!

Old 07-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Silvek is on a distinguished road
You won't have any problems. The 993 is a small car, but the low and upright seating position provides plenty of room for us tall folk (I'm 6'1").

One thing to keep in mind, depending on your torso/leg ratio, the lack of an adjustable steering column may be a bit of an issue.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:50 PM
utahrock is on a distinguished road
When I test drove the 993 that I eventually bought, I initially thought that, at 6'2", I didn't fit. But after driving for five minutes I decided I did.

When I got it home, I found the seat rail has two sets of holes. It comes stock in the forward position and can be set rearward about 7/8". It is impossible to go beyond this without creative modifications because the area behind the front seat narrows down the further you go back and the driver seat will contact at each side. I moved the rail to the 2nd set of holes and the driving position is now perfect.

I took my car to the track and found that even with a helmet I had enough headroom. Of course the terror of my first track day may have been enough to distract me from any minor seating/headroom issues...

Old 07-06-2011, 08:00 PM
DHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud of
I am 6'3" and raced a 993 for three years. No issues at all. I've owned 911's and RS America's and find all three generations of the air-cooled classics to be comfortable.