996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Non original ECU recognition by a car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 03:18 PM
rsvmiller is infamous around these parts
Non original ECU recognition by a car

Hi,

is there a specific procedure one needs to go through when plugging in another 996 DME 7.8 into the car's wiring harness? in other words, will my car start and the radio work, or do I need to go to a dealer to have some sort of handshake initiated between the car and the new ECU via Porsche's diagnostic system.

Thanks.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
has to be programed by dealer or tuner. immobilizer codes have to be set

Old 09-23-2014, 08:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rsvmiller
Hi,

is there a specific procedure one needs to go through when plugging in another 996 DME 7.8 into the car's wiring harness? in other words, will my car start and the radio work, or do I need to go to a dealer to have some sort of handshake initiated between the car and the new ECU via Porsche's diagnostic system.

Thanks.
no go buddy.... get it programmed by a dealer and start from there...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-23-2014, 08:13 PM
stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !
Hey marek,

Remember my car having the other vin in the ecu? Weird right?

Original receipts show a "gt2 ecu". Whatever...

Lol

Old 09-24-2014, 09:56 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stilov
Hey marek,

Remember my car having the other vin in the ecu? Weird right?

Original receipts show a "gt2 ecu". Whatever...

Lol
Lol yes I do.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:32 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by ecudoctors
ECU needs to be reprogrammed using the new and old VIn and IPASS codes.

You'll need both old and new IPASS to do so. Therefore, you will need the title / registration of both VINs.

Out of curiosity, why are you installing another ECU in your car?

PS: stilov and marek, GT2/GT3 ECUs tend not to be VIN specific. In fact, some of these units are Free Running ECUs (Immobilizer Free) That is why the vin may have been mismatched.

Someone just slammed a tune in Without even taking the time to put the correct vin in car. That's all.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:17 PM
rsvmiller is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ecudoctors
ECU needs to be reprogrammed using the new and old VIn and IPASS codes.

You'll need both old and new IPASS to do so. Therefore, you will need the title / registration of both VINs.

Out of curiosity, why are you installing another ECU in your car?

PS: stilov and marek, GT2/GT3 ECUs tend not to be VIN specific. In fact, some of these units are Free Running ECUs (Immobilizer Free) That is why the vin may have been mismatched.
I am trying to eliminate the ECU as a possible reason for an intermittent PO205 I have been battling with for over a year now. The injector to cylinder # 5 has been replaced once already. The car runs fine for 6 months and a few thousand miles. But then the code reappears in tandem with a PO 305 and a PO300. Since the injector was replaced once already and resistance from the ECU plug to the injector # 5 & 6 plugs was identical. The P technician felt the wiring was alright. I am not so sure anymore. It sounds as if, if I don't have the VIN info on the donor ECU the dealership won't be able to set it up if I read your post correctly. I haven't checked with the seller to see if he would that info.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:53 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I do not have the VIN for the ECU I'm selling. I was told that it is not necessary to have the donor ECU VIN. But I'm no pro so do not know for sure.

I was under the impression most tuners could make a donor ECU work without to many issues. Is this not the case?

Old 09-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gunther
I do not have the VIN for the ECU I'm selling. I was told that it is not necessary to have the donor ECU VIN. But I'm no pro so do not know for sure.

I was under the impression most tuners could make a donor ECU work without to many issues. Is this not the case?
both vins are needed to swap a dme out to another car. immobilizer codes for the end car are also needed. scsponger just went thru this with his car. he had a dme that didnt have the vin and it was a paperweight without it