996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 1999 C4 gearbox tq limit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 02:14 AM
bsh
bsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to all
996 1999 C4 gearbox tq limit?

Hi,
Anyone knows the limit for this manual gearbox/drivetrain (not clutch)? What will break first?

Thanks

Old 05-27-2016, 07:22 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bsh
Hi,
Anyone knows the limit for this manual gearbox/drivetrain (not clutch)? What will break first?

Thanks
I don't think you have to worry unless you're willing to put &15k+ into turbocharging it. There's been guys running TPC and Vortech forced induction for years now.

Bisi was running 900hp+ on his turbocharged NA m96 with stock gear box IIRC. I'm not sure how long that lasted though.

Considering the NA m96 only tops out close to 280tq with all bolt ons, there's a lot of cushion in there.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:01 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
You should design your setup such that the clutch does go first before you shred internals.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:32 AM
bsh
bsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to allbsh is a name known to all
Thanks for the replys.
I will use a clutch that will hold the tq +more. Just would be nice to know when gearbox usually breaks, and limit tq to a little lower.
Which gear usually strips teeths?

Old 05-28-2016, 01:50 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
Reverse.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:23 AM
bsh
Originally Posted by B8_RDC
Reverse.

Well I am not concerned about breaking reverse

Anyone knows what normally breaks first and at what tq? I supppose the C4 gearbox are alot weaker than TT...

Old 06-06-2016, 07:11 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bsh
Well I am not concerned about breaking reverse

Anyone knows what normally breaks first and at what tq? I supppose the C4 gearbox are alot weaker than TT...
From just high torque the input shaft. It can fail at any time even with a stock engine if the car is launched hard.

Roughly figure about a 1.5 margin. Bump the torque by 1.5 times over stock and you are probably close to the limits of the transmission. It won't last forever at 1.49 times over stock nor immediately explode at 1.51 times over stock but it is close to its design limit and has used up all its nominal margin. There are enough differences between transmissions one might last and last even fed 1.5 times the torque it was expected to handle with a stock engine but most will not.

The Turbo 6-speed manual is heavier duty than the NA 6-speed but I don't know exactly what are the differences. The Turbo transmission has to deal with 420hp and 413lb ft of torque while the NA 996 engine delivers 315hp (2002 and later IIRC) and 273 lb-ft of torque.

But maybe the C4 -- to accommodate the AWD -- uses the Turbo 6-speed? It shares the brakes and suspension with the Turbo.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:25 PM
turbogts is on a distinguished road
The stock c 4 transmission will work up to about 600 ft lb area with an upgraded clutch with power adders like supercharging/turbos. its not the HP # that counts it is the torque number that decides it. that is why you see some folks add a turbo or supercharger, then remove the cardan drive shaft, or 4 wheel system all together. because the thought is the front diff cant take anything other than stock engine torque and it makes the car lighter.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:59 AM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
There are multiple LS swapped C4 cars. So the trans can handle at least 400ft-lb at the wheels.

Old 06-18-2016, 03:44 PM
bsh
Originally Posted by turbogts
The stock c 4 transmission will work up to about 600 ft lb area with an upgraded clutch with power adders like supercharging/turbos. its not the HP # that counts it is the torque number that decides it. that is why you see some folks add a turbo or supercharger, then remove the cardan drive shaft, or 4 wheel system all together. because the thought is the front diff cant take anything other than stock engine torque and it makes the car lighter.
600 ft lb is fine. Yes that is why I asked for tq not hp. Alot of people believes it is hp that destroys gearboxes.
Is the front diff really that weak?
Thanks

Old 06-20-2016, 10:52 AM
turbogts is on a distinguished road

the small size is what i think helps some folks think it cant handle anything over stock tq. i dont believe that line of thought,the axles would give out before the diff in my opinion.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by turbogts

the small size is what i think helps some folks think it cant handle anything over stock tq. i dont believe that line of thought,the axles would give out before the diff in my opinion.
Well, it only gets at most 40% of the engine's torque -- and for the Turbo this 40% number is obtained at around 150mph -- so it doesn't get subjected to big loads and even when it does get subjected to the max load it doesn't have to handle much thus it can be smaller, lighter.

The front axles won't give out though before the diff. Actually what will likely give out first is the viscous coupling. There is a limit to how much torque the viscous coupling can transmit -- the torque is being transferred by viscous fluid (with a working temperature of IIRC around 350F!) -- and this I believe is the weakest part of the front diff assembly.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:48 AM
bsh
Thanks

Old 08-22-2016, 05:48 PM
cdk4219 is a name known to allcdk4219 is a name known to allcdk4219 is a name known to allcdk4219 is a name known to allcdk4219 is a name known to allcdk4219 is a name known to all
Typically hard launches, quick hard shifts, and wheel hop destroy transmissions quickly. unless you are making large power numbers, the deciding life factor of a mechanically sound transmission is the user and treatment of the unit. I typically break transmissions under hard shifts , damage clutches with hard high rev launches, and break all sorts of stuff with bad wheel hop. There are no real power numbers for this.