996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Need some help please..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 02:34 PM
Van C2 Cab will become famous soon enough
Need some help please.. UPDATE

Car went in to dealer for clutch replacement, AOS and new Plugs and Coils and came out with some issues.
Picked car up after shop was closed. Started car and it sounded like a small plane was in my back seat. Noise went away after a couple of minutes. Self diagnosed as I was sitting there as needing a new SAI. After 10 min of driving (while sitting at light) SAI came back on as well rough idle as well as CEL came on. Threw code reader on it got 0491 and 0492. Was late so I couldn't return to dealer till next day.
They confirmed it needing new SAI. Installed new pump. After driving for 20 min or so, (again sitting at light) SAI comes on with rough idle but no CEL.
Took several days for CEL to come back on. Dealer says they checked for VAC leaks and found none. Could this be oxygen sensors? I can't understand why SAI comes on after car has reached operating temp?
I get a rough idle at start up and when SAI comes on when I'm stopped at a light or in traffic?? Car has 47000 miles.
Car going to go back to them for further testing next week. Unfortunately that is the soonest I can get it to them.
Any thought??
Thanks

Last edited by Van C2 Cab; 06-29-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:21 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Van C2 Cab
Car went in to dealer for clutch replacement, AOS and new Plugs and Coils and came out with some issues.
Picked car up after shop was closed. Started car and it sounded like a small plane was in my back seat. Noise went away after a couple of minutes. Self diagnosed as I was sitting there as needing a new SAI. After 10 min of driving (while sitting at light) SAI came back on as well rough idle as well as CEL came on. Threw code reader on it got 0491 and 0492. Was late so I couldn't return to dealer till next day.
They confirmed it needing new SAI. Installed new pump. After driving for 20 min or so, (again sitting at light) SAI comes on with rough idle but no CEL.
Took several days for CEL to come back on. Dealer says they checked for VAC leaks and found none. Could this be oxygen sensors? I can't understand why SAI comes on after car has reached operating temp?
I get a rough idle at start up and when SAI comes on when I'm stopped at a light or in traffic?? Car has 47000 miles.
Car going to go back to them for further testing next week. Unfortunately that is the soonest I can get it to them.
Any thought??
Thanks
Whoever worked on your car last f'd up. I would make sure the coil pack connections are seated correctly along with any other connection he may have removed. SAI should only come on when you first start a cold engine if ambient temps are cold too. It's not suppose to come on otherwise. Make sure all vacuum hoses are intact. Make sure the mechanic didn't accidentally crack the oil filler tube. Make sure he didn't crack or mess up the AOS hoses/connections. Basically take it back to him so he can fix his mistakes.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:35 PM
Yes it is going back to local Porsche dealer to figure out what is going on.
Didn't want to lay blame but I did say to them it ran fine before it got to you..
Other than clutch, everything else was a preventative maintenance opportunity.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:56 PM
Update...The exhaust manifolds were caked up. So they tore them down and cleaned them out.
Seems to have done the trick. No more cel and rough idle gone as well.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:13 PM
LagunaSecaC4S is on a distinguished road
Really?

That seems hard to believe on a car with only 47,000 miles. But maybe that's what people mean when they talk about cars not liking lots of short drives. Says the guy who's car has 155,000 miles and seems pretty reliable.