997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Driving the 997tt in below zero temps ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:29 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Driving the 997tt in below zero temps ?

I flip on the weather channel and see that a decent chunk of North America is very cold . Some regions are ice or snow covered yet other look brutal cold yet dry enough to take out the 997tt .

I have never driven my car in climate under 50 degrees . I'm curious to hear driving impressions of ventring into the cold.

1) Hows the start up in thse temps ?
2) How long to warm up? Engine ? Cabin? Good heater?
3) Acceleraton --improved ?

Old 01-13-2009, 09:46 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I flip on the weather channel and see that a decent chunk of North America is very cold . Some regions are ice or snow covered yet other look brutal cold yet dry enough to take out the 997tt .

I have never driven my car in climate under 50 degrees . I'm curious to hear driving impressions of ventring into the cold.

1) Hows the start up in thse temps ?
2) How long to warm up? Engine ? Cabin? Good heater?
3) Acceleraton --improved ?
Start up is fine for me, but I have an insulated garage...even when it is -2F outside, it's still at least 32F in my garage. Plus, I always have my battery tender plugged in.

I have to admit...I do allow warm up time. I'm not sure why...not even sure if it is a good idea...but it does make me feel better. One thing is for sure...the car definately gets warm fast.

Acceleration? I have winter tires - but even at sub zero temps, they are rock hard. Traction is a little difficult, but on the freeway, there's a enormous rush of power compared to summer driving.

Now if would excuse me, I need to go de-thaw my extremities...it's -6F and falling...

Old 01-14-2009, 04:16 AM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
I once had a pic of the dash display on one of my 996ttt's showing minus 30. Car ran fine on that trip.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:25 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
It went down to 0 last night and is 2-4 degrees this morning. I know my C4 ran like a champ in Arizona/New Mexico in 120 degree heat. Living in MI my entire life and driving all sorts of cars in sub-zero temperature I can say that I've never had any major issues except for cold tires/traction. Driving my MKIV Supra one cold fall day at 40 degrees it REALLY pulled strong for obvious reasons.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:27 AM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
just watch the tires, below 40 or so the summer ones can be problematic.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:10 AM
JZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond reputeJZRS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Should I be using a battery tender if I am not driving the car more then 3 days a month in the winter?
BTW, it drives fine just don't need some moron hitting me. Chicago streets in the winter are more pot hole then road.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:12 AM
turbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud ofturbojohn54 has much to be proud of
That's why I live in Louisiana.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:52 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Ten degrees colder here today (70 is the high) and dipping into the 50's tonight.
I get a little taste of chill driving later.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:57 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Ten degrees colder here today (70 is the high) and dipping into the 50's tonight.
Wow, all the way to the 50's huh? my heart breaks for you

Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by E55AMG
Wow, all the way to the 50's huh? my heart breaks for you
Summertime brings 90's and thick humidity like soup . It's actually great for swimming and the moisure is great for skin but when it comes to the Turbo we don't have much of cold temps. The below zero weather seems like a great run and I'll never have it for this car unless I take aroad trip and with ice and snow potential it seems unlikely that i will try . (wow that's along sentence)

So the 50's is about as good as I'll get .

Old 01-14-2009, 12:10 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Chill driving? Go to weather.com and punch in zip code: 48009. It's 8 here right now and not warming up anytime in the next 5 days. I would LOVE getting outta MI for Christmas/NYE when my parents lived in Naples, FL. I'd still rock a t-shirt outside christmas & new years eve at 55 degrees! They moved back to MI a year ago but considering AGAIN moving to S. FL.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:39 PM
If you drive to Fl

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Chill driving? Go to weather.com and punch in zip code: 48009. It's 8 here right now and not warming up anytime in the next 5 days. I would LOVE getting outta MI for Christmas/NYE when my parents lived in Naples, FL. I'd still rock a t-shirt outside christmas & new years eve at 55 degrees! They moved back to MI a year ago but considering AGAIN moving to S. FL.
The holiday weeks the temps were higher all the way until last night . upper 70's /low 80's for the high and 60's for the low from mid Dec until today where it took a little dip . The warner weather may not be the same fir the Turbo but it is nice here.

I took these last Sunday . It was 80 and partly sunny. I've been going every weekend . I seem to like the drive and water of Delray Beach (it's about an hour from Miami making it a nice drive ) , kick off my sandals and dip my toes , I even took a picture holding the camera about an inch above the water into the waves . Kinda cool .

Attached Images   
Old 01-14-2009, 02:02 PM
imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !imcarnuts Is a GOD !
Different Turbo but I bought a Cayenne Turbo S January 2nd. and it has 21" tires. I have wheels ordered for snow tires but not here yet. It is like driving on an ice rink. I put the 997 Turbo away for the winter but sometime catch a few cold days before and after storing it. It can be pretty slick on those cold days as the tires are very hard.

View from my window. 12degrees. That's Heinz Field on the left - GO STEELERS - & PNC Park on the right.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:54 PM
sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !sparkhill Is a GOD !
I was out a couple of nights ago (20°F, 30% humidity, half tank of 100 octane, winter tires, EVOMSit) and the car was just a monster.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:58 PM
I am ready to drive ... bring on a little chill !!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving the 997tt in below zero temps ?