997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

HELP with Bilsteins!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 03:11 PM
drkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the rough
HELP with Bilsteins!!!

Help! Just backed my '09 Turbo out of the driveway, heard a loud "POP" and looked at my passenger side front tire to see the top of the wheel leaning in towards the car! The local Porsche dealership just installed the Bilsteins last month...I haven't driven 250 miles since they were installed (extremely light, city and highway miles)Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  120.4 KB. They have always had a little popping noise coming from the front (especially the one that is now screwed) but I just figured they were getting "broken in." Any help as to what you guys think happened would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Old 12-19-2009, 03:22 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Can you get another picture, perhaps with the wheel removed?

Old 12-19-2009, 03:26 PM
drkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the roughdrkbrent is a jewel in the rough
Actually can't...no tools here to do the job...Porsche technician driving over now...hopefully he'll take care of it!!!

Old 12-19-2009, 03:30 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Open the hood and the plastic covers over the shock towers and make sure all the threads/bolts are where they should be (look at the other side). Make sure they haven't sheered etc... Take a picture etc...

Old 12-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Took off the plastic pieces...the bolt on top of the shock was completely stripped (iPhone all of a sudden doesn't want have email work properly, so I can't post the pic)! Loose as a goose and it almost looks like the shock body is bent??? Porsche mechanic says he has never seen this in his life, and wants to come back to my house on Monday, pull the wheel, and get a detailed look at what is wrong before we approach the vendor who sold me the shocks (they're VERY popular on 6speed, so I'm sure they'll make it right). I'm now VERY nervous that all the other shocks might have problems...should I ask for 4 new shocks???

Old 12-19-2009, 03:56 PM
iPhone finally worked...here is the pic...the bolt was completely spinning inside of the shock!!!Name:  bolt.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  122.5 KB

Old 12-19-2009, 04:01 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drkbrent
Took off the plastic pieces...the bolt on top of the shock was completely stripped (iPhone all of a sudden doesn't want have email work properly, so I can't post the pic)! Loose as a goose and it almost looks like the shock body is bent??? Porsche mechanic says he has never seen this in his life, and wants to come back to my house on Monday, pull the wheel, and get a detailed look at what is wrong before we approach the vendor who sold me the shocks (they're VERY popular on 6speed, so I'm sure they'll make it right). I'm now VERY nervous that all the other shocks might have problems...should I ask for 4 new shocks???
Yeah that doesn't sound/look good at all! For sure have a pro look at the area (uninstall etc..) before even moving the car anywhere. I'd get a replacement for sure. Haven't ever seen that either. It's good that you stopped right away though.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Banned
997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !
We have installed a bunch of the Bisltein setups and never saw any of them fail. This is certainly a rare case. Perhaps you can take another photo once the wheel is off ?

Old 12-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by drkbrent
iPhone finally worked...here is the pic...the bolt was completely spinning inside of the shock!!!Attachment 112261
Figured it would be something like that after seeing the picture of your wheel cambered in like that. Make sure you have a qualified suspension guy look at everything and best of luck getting it fixed.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Banned
997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !
Also check the lower control arm

Old 12-19-2009, 06:57 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Wow. That does not look good. I'm sure Bilstein will make things right. Hope is wasn't a install error.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:41 PM
ed997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to beholded997tt is a splendid one to behold
me too. keep us posted

Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Wow. That does not look good. I'm sure Bilstein will make things right. Hope is wasn't a install error.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Rennsport-1
We have installed a bunch of the Bisltein setups and never saw any of them fail. This is certainly a rare case. Perhaps you can take another photo once the wheel is off ?
Yes, Porsche tech said we'll be taking several pics before we approach the vendor for a refund...we can look into the wheel well at the top of the shock and it almost looks like the damn thing is snapped in half on the inside? Very difficult to describe...never experienced anything like this in my life...never with any shock period...extremely weird! I'm just glad I wasn't driving down the interstate or something when this happened! Backing out of the driveway, turned the steering wheel to the left...then POP! Started driving down the street and turned around immediately because the steering was wobbly!!

Old 12-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
Can you guys let me know what could have done for it to possibly have been an install error? The good thing is, the Porsche dealership did the install, then did a laser alignment...thanks for the support by the way everyone!

Old 12-20-2009, 02:57 PM
ZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really niceZZinger is just really nice
Consider yourself lucky, thank god YOU are ok. If it happened at speed you and your car could have been in BIG trouble. Good luck with the repair and keep us updated....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP with Bilsteins!!!